Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Myst

Peasant
They should have done the server invite shit like in XI, but eh. I know it opens every now and then, but it's mostly really early in the morning. The very best time to make a char on an extremely loaded server is right after a maintenance, but that means you need to wait for one and then you need to be waiting really hardfor the server up since they sometimes just change it. And then you have to rush a char.

I don't really know how many people play the game at all though on this board, seems like a handful if that, so I would say not making a char on Gilgamesh wouldn't be the biggest loss, and you could server transfer before the expansion hits(though obviously that'll cost money).
Ya just going to pick a random server at this point. Now I just have to figure out why I can't seem to get my 8 digit confirmation code to start installing the game... email just won't get sent.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I gotta say that video looked fantastic. Even though I haven't been able to bring myself to sink more time into this game I'm pretty impressed by how much content they seem to be cranking out and I always thought the "look" of the game was amazing.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Might try out Balmung if its open. I hear it has a really good population. Think its the official RP server but that it doesn't really affect your gameplay if you don't RP.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Are there any members on another server? Id like to play now and don't feel like waiting for the server to open, don't know how long that could be. That said, I could always world transfer once it opens.
You can server transfer to locked servers. That's how I got on Gilg.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Was about to do that but they refuse to send me my 8 digit confirmation code through email.
Did you fuck up the email maybe? Also what 8digit confirmation? I don't think there's one unless you switch your PS3 account into a PS4 account, or if you mean like the SE shop sending you your key, but not sure why you bought it from there.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Might try out Balmung if its open. I hear it has a really good population. Think its the official RP server but that it doesn't really affect your gameplay if you don't RP.
Balmung is generally super full, if you can get on its a good server. So long as you can ignore all the male miqot'e RP'ers standing chest to chest in town.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Do we still have a group on Gilgamesh? How difficult is it to get geared up and begin participating in the end game? I was found myself struggling with limited time keeping up with the storyline, gearing up, trying to catch a raid, etc. For some reason it was easy to balance everything with the latest WoW expansion but I felt in FFXIV my limited playing time was having a negative impact in this game.

Myst

Peasant
Did you fuck up the email maybe? Also what 8digit confirmation? I don't think there's one unless you switch your PS3 account into a PS4 account, or if you mean like the SE shop sending you your key, but not sure why you bought it from there.
It's the 8 digit confirmation for creating a new Square enix account so I can apply the game code to it. I finally received the email after 3 hours.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Do we still have a group on Gilgamesh? How difficult is it to get geared up and begin participating in the end game? I was found myself struggling with limited time keeping up with the storyline, gearing up, trying to catch a raid, etc. For some reason it was easy to balance everything with the latest WoW expansion but I felt in FFXIV my limited playing time was having a negative impact in this game.
Well it's technically not very hard to catch up and be raid ready, though it might take some time since a lot of the best gear you can easily obtain out of raids is capped per week(poetics and WoD which are 120/130). You only need a few pieces of each and the rest of older soldiery 110 gear to start final coil though, so like 2weeks at max level would be enough probably, but then again it depends on your playtime. Less time means you need longer to fill all the slots with 110 gear, on the other hand it also means you can get more WoD/poetics gear so you'll have better gear overall.

Now if you're trying to catch up AND do other stuff, that's another story. There's a lot of story quests to do, there's a lot of dungeons and trials to do and that doesn't even count side shit like crafting/gathering/leveling other classes/gold saucer and so on.

Oh and that's for end endgame, like Final coil endgame. If you just want to kill shit at max level you can be ready to do 90% of the endgame content excluding final coil in like less than a week(or more, depends on how many hours you have in that week obviously).

Finding a group willing to take a new player into Final coil is probably more challenging than getting the gear though. It might change if they unlock the loots, which might happen in 2.55, or after.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gilg's FC is still there, but it doesn't look very big from when I logged on for the first time in over a month yesterday. Maybe 8-9 active/semi-active players. You don't really need a static group or anything until raiding (though it -really- helps if you are dps for cutting queue times from 20-30 minutes down to instant-5) but the FC does have the xp bonus stuff running most of the time, so it helps a little bit to be in one.

I'm kind of in limbo with it at the moment. Triple Triad will probably take up a lot of my time since I played the shit out of that game in FF8, but since I plan on playing Dark Knight primarily, about the only thing i can think of is I need to level Warrior and BLM for the sub skills or something. I'm a little curious how they plan on doing gear increases, like I don't believe they'll make the post 50 content effectively unplayable unless you are in 110+ ilvl gear, but anyone who has been playing for any decent amount of time will absolutely steamroll right to endgame if it isn't the case. Especially if they put in a couple of weeks like Pyros said right before the patch.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well they'll do a gear reset like wow, first quests in the expansion will probably reward i90 to i110 greens/whites depending on how they want it to go, and then they'll go from there.

They also said the endgame raid won't be available right away, so there will be time to level up and gear up before it opens, which should fix most catching up issue if you poopsock a little bit.

Things that could be useful if you don't care too much about the game now would be to get every craft to 50 besides cooking, just so you can repair gear(you need 10level less than the cap to repair, so 50 would repair lvl 60 gear), could cut whatever you don't plan on using but sometimes certain parts of an armor set use different crafts(for example weaver leg or leather belt for tank armor and alchemist or goldsmith for tank weapons). Use leves, GC daillies and Ixal daillies, it's not really hard or expensive to get everything leveled up. Don't need to gear shit.

You might as well get a full set of i110 armor for tanks too, hell run WoD every week a few times to get the armor from there too, it's 120 and looks good, plus you can get poetics and just get a full set of 120-130armor instead, which is sure to help at least a bit.

Definitely level classes for sub skills, I doubt BLM will actually do anything for DRK, it'll most likely be WAR or PLD, BLM just have jackshit on cross classes for melee classes.

Level your chocobo to at least level 4 and preferably level 11 or so, though that takes a while. You want 4 points in heal and the dump everything else into damage.

Then not much else to do, just do whatever you want or stop subbing until the expansion.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
Good idea:Let past subscribers login February 27 - March 9 for free to check out the latest patch and see if they want to come back and play again.

Bad idea:E-mail said past subscribers about this on March 10.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So they announced a bunch of stuff like pricing and what not for Heavensward:

Standard edition is ~40$ for every version
Physical collector is ~130$, has a dragon statue, bluray promotional stuff, art book, cool box
Digital CE is ~60$ for every version, comes with a gryphon mount, kain minion, black chocobo minion and a fantasia to change your race(those are also in physical CE obviously)
Package with both the original game and the expansion for ~60$, also comes with a MAC version, doesn't seem there's a CE package though but you'll be able to upgrade to CE later on(probably for 20bucks)
Pre-orders come with Baron circlet+earring items and a 4days early access(release date is 23rd, so early access is 19th)
Preorders start on the 16th, various hours depending on country, can buy from other retailers as expected but some versions are only digital

Have to buy both the PS4 and PC version to upgrade both licenses, though the CE stuff works cross platforms

Have to finish 2.55 Before the Dawn storyquest to get access to Ishgard(unsure if you'll have to do the entire storyline or just that step, though it's possible you'll need to do everything).

Pictures and stuff atLetter from the Producer LIVE - Special Edition Digest

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
It's getting exciting! My static cleared T10 today after only 4 hours of progression, so I'm confident that we'll have T13 down before the expansion. (But maybe not before Echo.)

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also, from the Producer's Live Letter....

Before the Fall Part 2 will arrive onMarch 31, 2015!

• The Final Coil of Bahamut will be added to the Duty Finder
  • The World of Darkness weekly gear limit will be removed
  • The amount of MGP you receive in the Gold Saucer will be adjusted
  • Adjustments will also be made to the Triple Triad tournaments
  • Considering making balance adjustments to Triple Triad NPCs since we've received lots of feedback that certain NPCs can be a bit too strong

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's getting exciting! My static cleared T10 today after only 4 hours of progression, so I'm confident that we'll have T13 down before the expansion. (But maybe not before Echo.)
I highly doubt you'll clear T13 before the end of march, it's not like super hard but each of the turn takes a few hours of wiping and 12/13 take a bit longer. 10 is really easy overall and it also has a pretty large RNG aspect in terms of difficulty imo(if you don't get tether+charge, then it's a lot easier than if he keeps doing it basically, as the other 2 combos are derp derp). 11 is also like that, if you're lucky and get full tank tethers it's actually really easy, it's the party tethers that generally create issues especially when it goes party > party but switch people around.

That said I don't think they've said anything about Echo just yet. They might just unlock loot/put it on DF with no Echo, at least for now, so you could still get it done before Echo. Oh and obviously if you raid every day or something, then it'd be enough time probably, assuming you're geared enough for it. Gear is actually fairly relevant for T13 as you need to get above a certain treshold to survive the constant aoes. You don't need crazy gear, but you do need a good baseline of vit, like a few pieces of 130 and some 120 on left side, or vit jewelry.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I highly doubt you'll clear T13 before the end of march, it's not like super hard but each of the turn takes a few hours of wiping and 12/13 take a bit longer. 10 is really easy overall and it also has a pretty large RNG aspect in terms of difficulty imo(if you don't get tether+charge, then it's a lot easier than if he keeps doing it basically, as the other 2 combos are derp derp). 11 is also like that, if you're lucky and get full tank tethers it's actually really easy, it's the party tethers that generally create issues especially when it goes party > party but switch people around.

That said I don't think they've said anything about Echo just yet. They might just unlock loot/put it on DF with no Echo, at least for now, so you could still get it done before Echo. Oh and obviously if you raid every day or something, then it'd be enough time probably, assuming you're geared enough for it. Gear is actually fairly relevant for T13 as you need to get above a certain treshold to survive the constant aoes. You don't need crazy gear, but you do need a good baseline of vit, like a few pieces of 130 and some 120 on left side, or vit jewelry.
Someone told me that the live letter said Echo wouldn't be coming on March 31st, but it would be coming procedually in tiny patches afterwards. And we only raid two nights a week so I'm not expecing to clear before March at all.

spronk

FPS noob
xpac CE up for preorder on SE store $130, reg is $40. This is PS4 version:
FINAL FANTASYS EDITION [PS4] | Square Enix Online Store

PC version
FINAL FANTASYS EDITION [PC] | Square Enix Online Store

e876e5161ab211fc38b91e927fe510bd_1920_KR.jpg