Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
You'd think the leakers would care about posting notable changes in addition to new stuff (like what Tetragrammaton does if Afflatus Solace is *gasp* Tetragrammaton).

Afflatus Solace is a GCD. It is the spell to enable weaving they mentioned in live letter.

I really want to see the PoM tooltip. The rumor I heard is that is the WHM group utility.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Unless you plan to spend money on a MSQ and level skip, I would get started now to at least wrap up MSQ for SB. Your access to the SrB main content is going to be gated behind that. If you pre-ordered, you also get a 30% bonus XP earring that lasts until level 70.

Only downside is this is the lull before the expansion period, so there are going to be less people running content on their mains. I do see lots of people trying to level up alt classes. I've been leveling machinist, for instance, since the changes in SrB look awesome.

On a side note, the Materia V market is crashing hard now. Not just the main stat stuff, but the stuff that isn't being removed. Not sure if that is because people are just liquidating their stashes or something else. I used to be able to make extremely good money selling the crafter Vs, but this past week their prices have been slashed hard. It's hard to even get 10k for one now. Crafter VIs are retaining value for now (relatively speaking), although VIs will be the new Vs in terms of overmelds come next xpac, so there will be a demand for them.
Hmm seems curious, while materias obviously will get a new tier, for crafting/gathering, lower tier shit is very valuable for overmelding since it has a higher chance of success and unless you're literally a billionaire, you don't really want to have to overmeld everything with the highest tier materias. Maybe ppl just dumping their custom deliveries.

My sub is running out in a couple of days, probably will stay unsubbed until 1week before EA, not much left to do. I spent my 2000genesis yesterday buying the rest of the aiming scaevan, got the full set now, none of it upgraded though(but I do have a bunch of 24man tokens, just I have like 10 of the first raid, 10 of the last raid and 2 of the middle raid and fuck running it just for tokens that are going to be worth 100poetics in a few weeks).

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Afflatus Solace is a GCD. It is the spell to enable weaving they mentioned in live letter.

I really want to see the PoM tooltip. The rumor I heard is that is the WHM group utility.
Sure, but one of the earliest leaks was that abilities like Assize and Tetra would use one or more Lilies for utility or shields, and now that we have Afflatus Solace acting as a 30s Tetragrammaton, it'd be nice to see how the two compare other than one being a GCD and the other not.

There's also the question of whether existing spells transform into Afflatus when a Lily is on the gauge, because hotbar space is getting cramped. Probably not, since Medica and Medica II were casted while a Lily was still on the gauge in the job trailer, but Cure II, Cure III, and Holy could still become Afflatus Solace / Rapture / Misery respectively when the Gauge has the requisite Lily / -ies.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I need to change how I'm playing until the expansion because I'm burning out on crafting/gathering.

I've been trying to get caught up with crafting and gathering for Shadowbringers. I know I wouldn't have time to level all of them to 70, but I still spent 90% of my play time crafting and gathering but it's taking it's toll on me.

I'm easily going to have all 3 gathering skills at 70, Fishing is 70 already and mining and botanist are 68 each, so this is going to be easy. My 3 gathering retainers will also easily make it to 70 as they are 65-66 now.

Crafters are another story, I got all of them at 51, with Carpenter at 70, Culinarian at 60, and Weaver at 58.

It's going to be a bit more relaxed now just by the fact that doing the Ixtal quest is no longer needed as they aren't good for 50+. So it's mostly going to be Moogle and Namazu quests and the weekly Custom Deliveries.

Dropping 6 daily Ixtal is really going to free some time, as they were a bit time consuming compared to the Moogle and Namazu quests.

I'll probably limit myself the FC dailies that have a Bonus for double XP for now too.

I'm not sure which profession I want to try and focus on, soon the Weaver will be done with Moogle quest and move to Namazu. Not sure which of the others I'll start on Moogle quest next. Looks like Goldsmith makes a lot of furniture too, so might do that one.

I think that will allow me to have Carpenter, Weaver, Goldsmith and maybe 1 other at 70 for Shadowbringers with the other in the mid 50's.

This will free up some time, so I can do other activities. I want to kill some stuff. Probably use the 6 daily Ixtal quest I did for crafting to level up Kojin and Ananta, and use that to level my Paladin.

I still have so much to do and it should be a bit more fun this way, and make sure I don't burn out before expansion.

It's almost as frustrating having too much stuff to do, as it is to not having anything to do in other games. :)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've been leveling machinist, for instance, since the changes in SrB look awesome.

I swear, if I ever level a Machinist I'm making a macro for the robot summon that will say "Bob, Do Something!" everytime I used the ability. :)

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ya, for leveling crafters, just do your Moogle/Namazu dailies and custom delivery weeklies if you don't want to go too hardcore. Ixatl is barely worth the time invested vs. reward...you're better off spamming leves to get to 50 so you can start doing moogle quests.

Malkav

French Madman
Most complete leaked tooltips list :

Was looking at
orKhfh6.png
, it seems the MCH bot finisher is automatically cast at the end of the pet duration if you don't do it manually.

I wonder if they are doing the same for SMN and Dreadwyrm Trance/Deathflare (and the Firebird Trance equivalent). Would be a really nice QoL improvement.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, finished the MSQ over the weekend, got my gatherers to 51. Still have Road to 60 for who knows how much longer. I'm not going to craft anytime soon. That was what ultimately made me quit back in ARR just before HW came out. I might do some more gathering, but probably not. I think I am going to chill until ShB. Do my daily roulettes and call it good for now. All DPS is 60, and I am getting BLM done to 70, BRD maybe. And I will do leveling on my heals and tanks until they get to 50. Might do MSQlette with them, but maybe not.

Once ShB drops I will be getting hot and heavy with it on my SMN. All duties until 80. All MSQs and side quests as needed. If I hit 80 before I am caught up on MSQ I will get RDM to pick up the slack. Those two classes are fun as shit, and I like them immensely. And they share gear, so it works out well.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I continued the Hildibrand questline tonight after my crafting quest. What a ridiculously fun questline, he’s such an idiot. :)

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For SrB, Hildi and Nashu need to meet their alternate universe selves. Nashu's counterpart would be a fat miqote lol

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Used some 7 day trial they gave out and leveled up SMN(currently 55) a bit over the weekend, enjoying the game but man the MSQ is a drag(heavensword). I'll probably pick up Shadowbringers for the 30% exp bonus earring and keep grinding along.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I finally gave in, and got FFXIV on my PS4 last night just to mess around with. I'm playing a pugulist right now. Just going to play it super casually.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
I love how they have Renzokuken in the form of 3GCD+3oGCD alternating combo.

Leaning heavily toward GNB right now too.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I need to spend some more time messing with it, but I am assuming there is a way to clean the UI up on the PS4 version right?

When I played last night, I loved the game graphically, but the UI was covering up so much that I was like wtf is all of this.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I need to spend some more time messing with it, but I am assuming there is a way to clean the UI up on the PS4 version right?

When I played last night, I loved the game graphically, but the UI was covering up so much that I was like wtf is all of this.
In the menu there's a HUD Layout option. You can select each individual element and then move them, rescale them or alpha them(if you want some shit to be transparent). A few UI elements have some more options, for example you can split your buff/debuff bar into special buffs(food, road to 60, FC buffs etc), normal buffs(protect, shields, cooldowns) and debuffs and position them differently. You can also rescale the whole UI in the char config > UI options, somewhere. There's a shit ton of options. It's not wow's UI but for a non moddable UI I'd say it's easily one of the best in the market, you can do a lot of things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if you can do that on the PS4, but on the PC you make a macro and hide/toggle some UI Elements that you might not want up all the time.

For example I have a macro that toggles 2 Hotbars(jobs switching only on them), the inventory grid, the menu at the bottom, the Gil amount. I have another that toggles the Quest Tracker and the MSQ tracker.

This gives me a very clean UI by not having stuff on the screen that I don't need all the time, but an option to show them very quickly when I want them.

I'm also using 2 different layouts, one for Crafting/Gathering and one for Adventuring Jobs with different number of hotbars, and in different locations. And all my Job switching buttons are macros that switch my gearset, but also the layout at the same time.

As Pyros said, it's a very powerful UI for something that is not moddable.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
You can also change the sizes of everything. I think my minimap is only 70% size, for example.

It's a lot more customizable than WoW's stock interface, but the lack of mods makes it more limited overall (but "everyone is on even footing" and "PS4 players aren't left behind").

The UI is perfectly adequate, which is more than I can say about a lot of games, but it's not perfect. I found I adjusted to it well over time.