Fire Emblem Heroes

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's another Japanese Gatcha Mobile RPG! This time it's Fire Emblem by Nintendo.

It's got very high production values. The graphics use cute chibi characters and maps as well as full art anime designed just for this game, it's also mostly voice acted. The content started a little light but is growing over time with new events once or twice a week.

FireEmblemHeroes2.jpg

It's generous with premium currency so you can play for free and stay compeititve. The main benefit of spending cash on the game is having a wider variety of characters and therefore options rather than getting more raw power. Stamina limits for PvE and PvP are here and are quite harsh (another major complaint of the game), though lots of free refills are given away

It follows the Fire Emblem battle system pretty faithfully with level up stats, abilities, Sword>Axe>Spear>Sword advantages and Infantry/Cavalry/Armored/Flying movement. You use four characters on scaled down for mobile version of classic Fire Emblem maps, everything considered there's a decent level of tactical depth.

Characters come from a gatcha pool with a double droprate focus on certain heroes, there's discounts for multiple pulls in a row and a drop rate boost if you fail to get a 5*. Characters are rated from 1* to 5* with higher stars meaning slightly higher stats and more abilities/weapons unlockable, stats and ability unlocks come from leveling up. Characters can be upgraded or swap skills given enough time and there's a pool of free characters if you miss something in the gatcha, you can also win characters in events.

There's a variety of content from PvE Story Mode, AI enemy controlled PvP, bonus maps with item rewards, boss maps for characters and waifu rating battles. More is coming such as defence battles. We have just finished the first rating event, which invovled Eirika x Eraphim incest memes and Team Lucina annihilating everyone. So the games taking a bit of a hilarious weeabo turn if you follow the reddit.

You can reroll after the tutorial and will have enough for a free 5 pull. Rerolling isn't required but it may be helpful to go for a 5* character (~27% chance). You need 4 characters at 5* for a full team which you'll probably get from free pulls a week in and will certaintly get with 4* upgrades after a month.
Some characters are better than others but all will be useful in one mode of the game or another, you can also kill them to give their skills to a totally different character.

Fire Emblem Heroes | Nintendo
Fire Emblem Heroes - Nintendo's Latest Mobile Game • r/FireEmblemHeroes
Fire Emblem Heroes Ultimate Spreadsheet

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
even the UI looks like its copying other similar games from the genre. i'm predicting its not going to be very F2P friendy...

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
even the UI looks like its copying other similar games from the genre. i'm predicting its not going to be very F2P friendy...

It's really interesting how broad the range is between F2P friendly and P2W. Games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper are super F2P friendly. Spending money almost seems pointless. Other games you can basically buy literally everything. Will be interested to see what this looks like, crossing fingers.

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just found out this game will apparently have one global server. I like that this means we won't have the JP vs. Global crap that most of these games have. I find that knowing what's coming down the pipe in these types of games really ruins a lot of the fun. The bad part is obviously it'll be one huge crazy server which could be good or bad depending on how events/pvp work.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's out! Production values and interface look good, don't have time to play until later (working) so can't see the gatcha so fingers crossed it's reasonable. I'll update OP later with info.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It was being rolled out when I posted. Try again, android apks and apple store country change should work.

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>
It was being rolled out when I posted. Try again, android apks and apple store country change should work.
Yeah it was iOS that I was speaking about and still not out. I can wait because I don't feel like changing app stores.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Lol was ready to go for many rerolls (tutorial is very short) and got Lucina first time! Even got a little 3D movie of her, literally only played her game.

Stars effects which skills can be unlocked and which weapons are available, think stats are the same but obviously better weapons is more damage.

There is a way to level up the star rating via playing the game I think. You can do a 5 pull for 20 orbs and early missions give you an orb each so far. Tutorial gives enough for a 4 pull, play 3 extra missions for 5 pull.

Graphics are cute, game play is classic FE and has pvp too! Seems good.