FireTV Stick

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks like I'm going to be giving my parents the Fire stick in exchange for their chromecast. Having an interface on the TV makes it a lot easier for my dad to use, plus they don't have any other way of getting prime videos on the TV easily.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So does the Fire stick just show up in the Play To list on Kindle videos?

Transitioning my son from Kindle Free Time and thinking about giving him more control of his TV when hes watching it.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
my friend was saying to sideload kodi or something onto the stick I to stream all sorts of media. Anyone else try it yet?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
my friend was saying to sideload kodi or something onto the stick I to stream all sorts of media. Anyone else try it yet?
You can use Plex for that. Hell, Amazon was giving away the android app for free last week, normally $5.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So my remote randomly started working again. Also the weird fps issue was tv related, stupid 120hz crap.

So overall pretty damn good and highly recommend.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I love my Fire Stick. After all the press the Fire Phone got and how really bleh it was and subsequently failed I see almost no one talking about the Fire Stick. I've had a couple glitches like having to reboot both phone and Stick in order to get the You Tube app to work, but found it to be more useful than Chromecast in every situation. Simply having its own little remote and built in apps makes it nicer. People who visited thought Plex was nice, but never wanted to bother with setting it up on their phone etc but now that the Fire Stick works they just go to town with it.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Damn.. Just discovered my ex wife took my chromecast AND Firestick when she left. She use to bitch about the things every other week but apparently they were good enough to keep when she left!

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Damn.. Just discovered my ex wife took my chromecast AND Firestick when she left. She use to bitch about the things every other week but apparently they were good enough to keep when she left!
Passive aggressive bitch.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Got my Fire TV stick yesterday, I now have both it, and a Chromecast.

The FireTV stick is pretty cool, it's nice that it comes already set up for your account and everything, don't even have to log in with your Amazon info.

My only gripe so far is that it gave me a warning that it could not draw enough power just from having the power cord plugged into an extra USB port on the TV, it recommended actually plugging it into an outlet(Chromecast works fine powered from USB only).

Also though, Amazon Prime video service needs to do a little bit better job distinguishing between movies/TV shows that are free with the Prime service, and ones you have to pay for. You have to actually go into the episode list of a series before you can see the pricing, it would be nice if you could somehow tell that while browsing (A "free" typed on the series graphic or something while browsing would work.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think all the free ones have a Prime logo at the bottom. I usually browse just by Prime video regardless. The only time it can be somewhat confusing is when I specifically search for something but I just look for the prime logo. If it is absent then it is paid content.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it will say if its Prime. Only problem is as Tenks said is that for dumbass reason when you specifically search it brings up Prime + Paid content. You cant search for Prime content itself, all of Amazon is like that though not just the Firestick.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
For sure. I mean, I'm not going to bitch too much for what I consider is basically a free perk. I'd be subscribing to Prime for the free shipping regardless, but they definitely have room to improve if they want to really push their video service as a legitimate alternative/competitor to Netflix

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holy crap, just felt like looking into if it could run XMBC/Kodi and 1Channel etc, and it can beautifully... jesus.