Florida is a shithole

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eh, I'm not going to live much past 30 more years if even that and no plans for kids (and almost out of time) not worried if it starts getting congested.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I lived north of Pensacola for a year in a rural area. I liked it. Town was close. It was big horse country. My neighbor had his own 4 hole golf course, a pair of par 3's and a par 4 and a 5. I played on it every so often. Life wasn't bad at all.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Just about everyone, other than retirees, who have lived in Florida, say it is a shithole. It doesn't sound too bad to me. A couple of winters in the snow belt might change one's perspective.

Vaclav

Indeed Wu, weather (mostly snow) is my #2 reason for my move. Value is #3.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't been to Florida, but I've lived in Arizona and I can say for me the snow is a lot easier to take than 9 soul crushing months of 100+ temperatures.

Siliconemelons

Florida is a right to work state- and while it has recovered mostly in line with the rest of the nation- it suffers greatly from stagnate wage.... we have no unions to collectively say "Hey, things have picked back up...like 3 years ago...its time to get the wages back on track" - and employees cant because you literally can be fired for nothing- it is better for them legally to say nothing and give no reason for you being let go- as its a right to work state, once they say a reason- then it has to be justified and supported.

highly populated areas are still job out- job in on fillings, so everyone is easily replaced... heck in my department our part time no-benefits position person left for a full time job in another area- within 5 days of posting the job that makes a smidge less than what McD people think they should make we had 50+ applicants 7+ of them masters+ holders, 30+ of them bachelors, and the rest sans like 2 have at least an AA and a good chunk of job exp.

So for the normal working class folk in Florida it can be rough... if you are wealthy or retired - its great.

iannis

Musty Nester
You'll slide up to alaska. Which means you'll be able to see Putin from your backyard. Then you'll really be in the shit.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I've just spent around 2 weeks vacation with the girlfriend, sister and her two kids in Orlando doing all the theme park things. Apart from the weather which was practically roasting me alive on some days (got sun burnt ffffuuuuuu) it was a pretty awesome holiday. The kids naturally absolutely loved Disney and the parks. I liked the water parks and the hotel pool because it was so damn hot.

The food was pretty good and I went to a few nice restaurants with the girlfriend. There were a shit ton of buffets around which the kids enjoyed. Shopping is alright with a few outlets and malls to choose from. Driving around is pretty easy though I can see it is very touristy with hotels and gift shops dominating everywhere.

In all, pretty awesome holiday. Didn't regret going at all.

Would I go again? Probably not but that's because I've been there and there are other places I would like to go now. Also, it's great destination going with kids but as a couple, it wasn't ideal because obviously the Disney parks are catering towards the children. Universal studios was badass though with a special mention to the Transformers and Harry Potter 3D rides.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been on vacation to Orlando and it was awesome (we could walk to Universal). Miami was a different story. Went from skid row with druggies possibly dead in the street to south beach with bare-fuckin-titties as far as the eye could see all within a 10 minute taxi ride.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
Florida is a right to work state- and while it has recovered mostly in line with the rest of the nation- it suffers greatly from stagnate wage.... we have no unions to collectively say "Hey, things have picked back up...like 3 years ago...its time to get the wages back on track" - and employees cant because you literally can be fired for nothing- it is better for them legally to say nothing and give no reason for you being let go- as its a right to work state, once they say a reason- then it has to be justified and supported.

highly populated areas are still job out- job in on fillings, so everyone is easily replaced... heck in my department our part time no-benefits position person left for a full time job in another area- within 5 days of posting the job that makes a smidge less than what McD people think they should make we had 50+ applicants 7+ of them masters+ holders, 30+ of them bachelors, and the rest sans like 2 have at least an AA and a good chunk of job exp.

So for the normal working class folk in Florida it can be rough... if you are wealthy or retired - its great.
So which one are you, a teacher or a starving artist?

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Not one mention of the Space Coast region is sad. It's honestly reminiscent of rural MD, with better value, good schools (no joke, look it up especially for engineering), better weather, low hurricane risk, etc.

I'll be living on a canal (hopefully with a boat if I can get over seasickness) paying just slightly more than the taxes alone were on this house I'm selling. And not even a size downgrade if you count the ridiculously huge screened porch.

Florida rocks, you just have to be selective. (do note Mims and Titusville in the Space Coast area probably do have a few "Florida man" things I bet though - they're awful - Merritt Island, Melbourne, indiatlantic, Viera, etc though all wonderful and surprisingly varied)
Brevard county is pretty much nothing like the rest of the state. It would seem pretty normal to anyone visiting from somewhere else, if a little boring.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Key West and southern Florida is awesome if you enjoy diving.

Used to vacation in the Marco Island/Isle of Capri area every year with a house on the river 2 minutes from the ocean. Saw manatees, jewfish, caught barracuda, tarpon, and snook. Probably no better fishing in the world.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Right to work just means that workplaces with a union cannot force you to join or pay dues to work. It has nothing to do with being an at-will employee... you can get terminated for nothing more than "we don't require your services anymore" in most jobs everywhere. It's very difficult to get a wrongful termination suit unless there's a specific incident involved or well documented history of obvious offenses by th employer. Getting unemployment is slightly easier as they tend to be more feels oriented. I've seen some pretty fucked up cases like a video of an employee throwing a computer at another employee and they were still given unemployment for being released based on a lack of 'progressive' disciplinary action. lol.

Vaclav

Indeed, MD is an At Will state and I had a huge paper trail for firings.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
6 children killed in Florida domestic shooting - CNN.com

1411003581716.gif