Fondest Memory of MMOs

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
There were 3 main Asian guilds on my server: Divine Winds, Asylum of the Shadow (although everyone called them Asses of the Server), and I think the last one was called Samurai, although my memory isn't what it used to be. DW were all pretty much good dudes, same with Samurai, AoTS were just a bunch of douche bags who spoke Engrish just fine until they trained you or KS'ed someone, or ninja looted, then they acted like they couldn't understand a word you said. Fuckers.
Ah yes AotS I remember them as well. I actually raided with some of the original DW in wow for a brief period and they thought the American EQ guild drama was funny. They weren't all that great in WoW. My guild had dissolved in AQ and they were still struggling with BWL when I was running with them.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
TDE was pretty evil towards the other upper-tier guilds in those days. It was a toss-up between Cobra and them for my least liked people, although at least TDE had the courtesy to speak to you in english. I raided on and off during those days, mostly with the lower-end guilds doing clean-up content and keying up. My fondest memory of EQ had to be helping get Lunacy Unbound up and running (I joined on the third day of the guild) and running people up through Luclin into early PoP content (Valor B and whatnot) while FS/Dili were working on Ele's.
I was briefly in TDE, then left because Euro vs US raiding schedule was killing me. I know that in Velious they dominated, so in Luclin, but from PoP onwards I didn't even follow what they were doing as all my friends in that guild stopped playing.
I ended up in several guilds, all dying one after the other for some sort of drama, which never included me fortunately, at least not as a major character in the plot, until I was in Reunion, a guild formed after the brief life of Wipeout came to an end. To these days I'm still amazed at how seriously and personally some people took "attacks" at their EQ life. I never gave a fuck, played 4 evenings per week tops, had a ton of fun and made a couple long lasting friends in that game.
Collectively speaking WoW holds a lot more memories than EQ, which is normal as I played it much longer, but EQ had the advantage of the first "omg omg it's D&D in 3D" and the fact that it took so long to do anything that you had to make friends and you were meeting people in your same situation, so helping each other was natural.

reunion was a small guild made of skilled people, we do it with less was a sort of motto. I remember when we did Emperor Ssraeshza (but we're only testing the CC part the leader said...) and it was dead in 41 minutes of epic battling, we were few, strong, determined and crazy and thankfully we had necros with essence emeralds. When I did some math and stated that "yes we can kill Bertoxx with 39 characters (31 actual players) and so he died that same night.
I also remember fondly our first (and last) fight vs Rallos Zek the Warlord: we did Tallon and Vallon flawlessly, start the event in the pit, Rallos is at 35% and everything is going so smoothly that I expected a server crash. At one point the tank is pushed *in* the wall and goes out of range from CH chains, but remedy could still land (double range) without healers going under the AE rampage, so while we try to capitalize on Remedy chains, we try tank swapping (Rallos doesn't want to change target), we try Call of the Hero (didn't work) and at the end with RZtW at 25%, we run out of mana and we wipe. We logoff, the following week half the guild calls it and say they quit. Most of us spend a week or two thinking, then we move on to better things as well.

Best guild I was in, ever.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I raided with Samurias for a while in EQ. A real bunch of good people. It must be an eastern thing but during raids chat was almost non-existent. Only person typed in chat was the one who was leading the raid. I remember in my other guilds chat was nonstop. We had to kick members out the guild during raids cause they wouldn't stfu in chat.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, finally getting the wizzy staff ranks up there for me as well. Fuck phinny, remember before they nerfed the wizard epic when you needed the skin off of Cazic Thule? THAT was a true pain in the ass!
I'm sure this post will cause a lot of debate, but boohoo your wiz epic! *eyeroll* Phinny popped twice a damn day.

I still stand by the fact that the original Warrior epic was by far the most difficult to obtain. These were the bottleneck drops:

Hand of Maestro -Maestroin PoHate (not too tough, but required raid and 3d respawn)
Red Dragon Scale -Naggy or Talendor(not terribly difficult, but 1wk respawn)
Ball of Everliving Golem -Fright, Dread, or Terrorin PoFear (uncommon drop and required a Fear clearing, 3d respawn)
Green Dragon Scale -Severilousin EJ (tough dragon and did not always drop the scale, 1wk respawn)
Spiroc Wingblade -Spiroc Lordin PoSky (not easy to get to 5th island and uncommon drop)
Ancient Blade -Queen Chardok(arguably the toughest Kunark mob of the xpac and originally dropped 1 in 10 kills)

Sure, everyone had their bottlenecks here and there but the Warrior epic not only required many raid mobs, but the extremely difficult ones (Queen, Spiroc Lord, Sev). Then you have lolepic classes like Rogues.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I remember playing the first progression server as a tank for a Euro guild. We were clearing PoF and CT drops an Amulet of Necropotence. The leaders of the guild pretty much automatically gave it to me so I could create an empty debuff slot on my buff list for dispelling purposes. No problem for me but some plebs in the guild were quarrelling about it. Loved it.

And then I main tanked for Insidious Vision and caused one tank to rage quit because I got the breastplate drop off the final boss in Vex Thal and he didn't.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
We never had problems with Chardok queen.

Necro epic was so fucking bad almost no one completed it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, finally getting the wizzy staff ranks up there for me as well. Fuck phinny, remember before they nerfed the wizard epic when you needed the skin off of Cazic Thule? THAT was a true pain in the ass!
I was lucky enough to receive the World 7th Wizard Epic (Staff of the Four) due to Cazic Skin dropping for me. We had a PUG Plane of Fear raid one day when Cazic was up. I never really cared for Carmine. I was there only for a chance at Cazic skin, and I knew that it was exceptionally rare. There were 6 wizards on the raid. The raid leader himself didn't want to deal with the drama of getting the skin, so he put it up for an open roll and took himself out so 5 of us got to roll. I won with a perfect 100 roll. One of the very few I've ever done, but it was a huge "holy shit holy shit holy shit" type of moment. I was only level 54 at the time, and powered to 60 right after completing the epic. After completing it, the "big guild" of my server, Enlightened Dark, invited me to join them. The guild leader had an Enchanter alt that I had met while trying to farm some stuff solo in Lower Guk. I didn't know that he was the leader's alt until a few months after joining the guild.

Anyway, that was awesome. There was a website,Graff? Forumsthat was a big list of everything Wizard. I met up with Graffe one day and he took a bunch of screen shots of my staff so that he could piece together an animated GIF of staff's partial effects. I wish that GIF was still around, but no such luck.

On to a not so me centric memory, my guild (Enlightened Dark) managed to get the world 1st Emperor Ssraeshza kill after he was retuned. I realize that FoH, AL, LoS, Triton and probably even BotS for that matter had kills before they retuned him, but after the retune, we were lucky enough to take 1st place. I remember how awesome it felt to be a part of that kill. Then on like the 3rd or 4th kill, I fucked myself out of the robe he dropped by accidentally Absconding to zone in when someone asked me for a Translocate and I hit the wrong button without realizing it until the "LOADING... PLEASE WAIT" appeared on my screen. Holy shit was I pissed off. Especially because they had given that robe to me and they ended up having to give it to my biggest wizard rival at the time. I got the next one, so all was good, but man was I pissy when that happened.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We never had problems with Chardok queen.

Necro epic was so fucking bad almost no one completed it.
Zrazzt, head necro of Enlightened Dark got the world first necro epic. I don't really remember what made it so hard to get, but I remember running through East Karana either right before he got it or right after while tons of other players were swarming all over us to see it or to see the final hand in. Why were we out there? Was it something in Lake Rathe that we had to do?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure he meant it was so bad (as in quality) that no one got it. I completed it on my Necro alt after my warrior and it wasn't that bad difficulty wise, it was just complete dogshit. Off the top of my head it was some stupid 9 second long cast time snare dot bullshit. Keep in mind, pretty much every necro worth a shit used the low level darkness snare dot because it was fast cast time and low mana vs the upper tier versions. So yea = worthless epic.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
It was shit and you needed a rarish drop from the keeper of souls, which spawns on the 5th isle in sky.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Walking out of Surefall Glade into Qeynos hills for the first time. Was fucking HOOKED...then promptly got black screen for the next few days.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haha, Zaar's name sounds familiar. What guild was that?
Triton. I was an officer from early Velious through PoP then took over as guild leader at the beginning of GoD. Did that through 2008 off and on around various retirements. I actually went to the guild summit they had during GoD. Hard to believe that was more than ten years ago now.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Triton was another guild with a great home page. Your updates were very similar to the ones Tigole would put up on LoS's page.

I remember a few of my friends joined up with Team Ice (Tea Mice) in WoW.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure he meant it was so bad (as in quality) that no one got it. I completed it on my Necro alt after my warrior and it wasn't that bad difficulty wise, it was just complete dogshit. Off the top of my head it was some stupid 9 second long cast time snare dot bullshit. Keep in mind, pretty much every necro worth a shit used the low level darkness snare dot because it was fast cast time and low mana vs the upper tier versions. So yea = worthless epic.
I wonder what the list would look like in order of most important to least important for epics? I know cleric and chanter would be 1 and 2. I know some classes got kick ass epics and others got dog shit. The wizard one was pretty cool, but nothing super special. I know I wanted the staff of Al Ka'bor more than the epic (there was only 1 per server and I think it had clarity).

Agraza

Registered Hutt
yea, shaman, druid, and necro had retarded 9 second cast times. shaman epic was easy as hell, but they're all underwhelming. originally shamans got a pair of instant cast targetable sow boots during the course of the quest, but they were made self only soon afterward.

1 cleric epic is easily the most important.
2 warrior epic was pretty strong too, since enraging blow (or similar) didn't become accessible for most until ssra.
2 magician epic was strong.
3 bard epic made twisting much more accessible.
3 monk epic had clicky haste and +atk, so they got +atk in groups with better haste and when soloing they got (worn)+clicky haste.
3 ranger/rogue had 40% haste and +atk (a rare stat), and rogue was hella chill to complete.
3 enchanter epic was pretty solid (clicky haste saved a lot of mana), but not quite at the magician level.
4 wizard epic wasn't really strong or weak (+mana regen click), but getting it depended on a lot of luck from weekly boss kills.
5 both knight epics were ~meh. could bash with them. paladin epic was stupid long since it was built on top of fiery avenger.
5 necro/druid/shaman epics were basically just stat sticks.

imo

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I liked the necro epic.

It had a long cast, but pre pop it was stillveryuseful for solo and some group/raid stuff because it did not care about global cooldown and saved a ton of mana. Soon as PoP was released the lure fast cast snare made it useless however.

In retrospect those PoAir drops were the worse part of the nec and most epic. That zone was soo awful and none wanted to raid it.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
yea, sky was craptastic. at least warriors could farm their mob until the piece dropped. traveling between islands before the /keyring was horrible. Mages had to go all the way up to island 7 I think.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
For what it's worth, the Wizard one was a damage shell as well. It was only like 400-800 points (I don't remember exactly), but it became a "must have". It definitely saved my life more than a few times. Maybe not in a raid situation, but absolutely while grouping or soloing.