Funeral arrangements?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
and I though making a thread about retirement was looking too far down the road.

Blast my ashes into space, or not, fuck it I don't care.
At this point I'm just trying to outlive my parents, and my grandmother who is 95.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
I highly recommend getting that planned and out of the way. There are lots of different rules and different costs. Don't leave it to your family to decide.
As someone in the funeral profession, this is what I try to impress on folks the most. It doesn't matter what you want done, but make sure you know, let others know, and get arrangements made when you are able to. Costs are always going to go up, and if you pre-arrange early, you lock in that price and can save yourself/family alot of money down the line.

FWIW, if folks have questions about the process or anything related, I'll be more than happy to answer them as best I can.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We have all arrangements done and paid for. If one of us bites it early, there will be virtually no decision making that has to be made. We're both full body organ donors, and then cremation. Small service with family. Ashes to be scattered at a specific place. No headstone or marker anywhere. When we're done, we're done.

Pre-arranging it seems like a good idea, and pre-paying seems even smarter. Make shit as easy as possible so the week following your death isn't about details, but it allows your family to mourn as is needed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The only thing that my family could do that would piss me off is if they spent a lot of money on a casket. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I wouldn't want them to spend a lot on a monument either but at least I understand that. Dropping 10 grand (or even 2 grand) so that somebody can rot in a fancy box is just retarded.

It gives me an idea for a business though, casket rentals. For $250 you get to lie in the $10,000 Cadillac casket during your funeral, even be lowered into the grave if you want, but as soon as the funeral procession leaves, we're going to pull you out of the hole, throw your ass in a $50 body bag or maybe a cardboard box, put you back down, cover you up, and the casket gets a quick shot of lysol and goes back to the funeral home for another carcass. Burying that thing is just too much of a waste.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
The only thing that my family could do that would piss me off is if they spent a lot of money on a casket. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I wouldn't want them to spend a lot on a monument either but at least I understand that. Dropping 10 grand (or even 2 grand) so that somebody can rot in a fancy box is just retarded.

It gives me an idea for a business though, casket rentals. For $250 you get to lie in the $10,000 Cadillac casket during your funeral, even be lowered into the grave if you want, but as soon as the funeral procession leaves, we're going to pull you out of the hole, throw your ass in a $50 body bag or maybe a cardboard box, put you back down, cover you up, and the casket gets a quick shot of lysol and goes back to the funeral home for another carcass. Burying that thing is just too much of a waste.
Casket rental is already a "thing" at least in Missouri it is.

Borzak

They already come from Houston and the Dallas area to the middle of nowhere where we have a family cemetary and the others in the county and bury someone like a dump operation. They know they can do it and get out quickly without being noticed. If they actually paid for a plot it wouldn't be that much. But several people have been buried from a funeral home that just drove up and did it without contacting the cemetary or church.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone given much thought to their own funeral arrangements?
When I met my husband back in 96' he was already diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a terminal heart disease. In the 17yrs we were together, I thought many times about his death but never really about funeral arrangements. There were things he wanted to have happen but the rest was left up to me.

Songs, do you pick a song you like or play one mostly related to the people who are likely to attend?
David didn't pick any songs. The songs I picked were a mix of songs that meant a lot to me about him and our relationship as well as songs that expressed my feelings toward him.

I'm leaving the actual means up to whoever is left behind, burial or cremation or whatever. Oddly
If anything you really should pick how you want your remains taken care of. I know I want to be cremated and have let people close to me know. As for the rest, I'll let that be up to them because they are the ones that are going to have to cope with the death and loss and I believe it actually helps with the grieving process.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Funeral pyre. I want a Jewish / Irish celebration tho. A chance for friends and family to party on the life insurance money.

Dunno about the legal hoops to go through.

My dad wants to be buried sitting in his car, with the car half sticking out of the ground vertically.

Borzak

Spent all day trying to come up with a song. Not really for a funeral but a "gathering" for lack of a better word. Hard to do actually.

A friend who has a black powder cannon volunteered to shoot my ashes out of it mixed the shot charge lol.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I'm having a prostitute dress up in the same clothes I'm wearing in the casket, but under her trenchcoat. Halfway through she'll gasp in torment, strip off the coat, turn to the onlookers and say...Ok...this is where it gets weird. Then she'll run away screaming "I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." cackling madly.

Don't worry bros. I'll also give her my account info to post nudes. Hmm, maybe I'll hire a tranny.

edit: Kidding aside, buried next to my wife who hopefully will live to be 150, along with my kids.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Mom was only 56 when my Dad died, but still chose to get one of those joint stones with her name already on it. Then 4 years later she got remarried. Seems like kind of an awkward situation to me. Her new husband says he's fine with her being buried with Dad but the name isn't even right anymore. Not that I'm getting involved, I will do whatever she wants, but it seems a little weird to me.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
My Mom was only 56 when my Dad died, but still chose to get one of those joint stones with her name already on it. Then 4 years later she got remarried. Seems like kind of an awkward situation to me. Her new husband says he's fine with her being buried with Dad but the name isn't even right anymore. Not that I'm getting involved, I will do whatever she wants, but it seems a little weird to me.
I met mine when she was 15 (I like to tell people that was last year, and I'm 40). I was 17. Wasn't love at first sight, but pretty damn close. She always tells me if I die early there's no chance she'd ever love anyone as much as me, but...she still needs to get laid. Her words.
tongue.png
Yeah, it's always possible. But that's how'd I want to go, and I'm pretty sure the kids would guilt her anyway
tongue.png
My son is my spitting image.