Funeral arrangements?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
My Mom was only 56 when my Dad died, but still chose to get one of those joint stones with her name already on it. Then 4 years later she got remarried. Seems like kind of an awkward situation to me. Her new husband says he's fine with her being buried with Dad but the name isn't even right anymore. Not that I'm getting involved, I will do whatever she wants, but it seems a little weird to me.
Have her cremated and split the ashes.

What happens if you move and decide to be buried elsewhere? You get a full refund or what?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think I will have this song played. It has nothing to do with dying. I just like the song and always have.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've always liked that song, it's a real cowboy song.

And it doesn't matter who plays it. I've heard a lot of different covers of it over the years and they all basically sound the same.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
So, G's FUN-eral is this upcoming Saturday. He wrote his own eulogy and I cry every time I read it. I just had to re-type it to include in the service program and it has me amazed at how incredibly fortunate I am to have such a love.

He left me some other treasures - pictures and poems - I keep finding them - tucked away in spots; I hope he hid some more for me to find.

But to be honest, I am full of fear and anxiety for this event; it forces me to believe in the more permanent truth. Having our family and friends here, to say their goodbyes has me restless. I am still not prepared to let go; even though he is gone... I am selfish and should not be so, he was in terrible agony and I should be happy that he is no longer. I just wanted him to stay.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hey didn't we tell him to do that?

Awesome.
Yeah, someone brought it up.

My wife's grandmother passed away 3 weeks ago at 99 years old. One of the toughest, most stubborn people I've ever know. One of my wife's cousins handled the specifics for the service etc. Korean funeral arrangements have these banner things on them with the names of family and a condolence message from them. Names on two arrangements were misspelled and my wife and I were left off of the "survived by"/list of family on the funeral service program. Good times.
rrr_img_130893.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Apparently you guys were expected to die on the way to the funeral. Did you have trouble with your brakes?

I think I said this in the original Gravy is dying thread, but put me down for cremation with my ashes spread in various places. I want 2 poems read, (these are probably not the correct names) "The road Less Traveled" and "Do not Stand at My Grave and Weep". The second one is why I want to be cremated, I really don't want anyone to come visit my grave and weep. A few in my family know about these wishes and I'm considering putting something in writing. But since it's just those 3 things it doesn't seem worth it.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I think I said this in the original Gravy is dying thread, but put me down for cremation with my ashes spread in various places. I want 2 poems read, (these are probably not the correct names) "The road Less Traveled" and "Do not Stand at My Grave and Weep". The second one is why I want to be cremated, I really don't want anyone to come visit my grave and weep. A few in my family know about these wishes and I'm considering putting something in writing. But since it's just those 3 things it doesn't seem worth it.
Put it in writing...and with a couple of people you trust most in the world.

So - being a grown up sucks sometime...got to tell you, didn't think I would have as much emotional difficulty as I am...opened the box/urn thing today to get out some of G for places other than cold earth...it is very very odd to do this and I haven't stopped crying; trying to find the perfect vessel to hold him for those trips was daunting and then having his ashes on me - pretty hard to take. I am not so strong you know.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What if your family wants to visit your grave? Why do you give a fuck? I really don't get having an opinion about that kind of thing. I might tell the family that I am cool with cremation and no monument, but if somebody wants to have the ability to visit/piss on my grave I certainly wouldn't go as far as some sort of legal document to keep them from doing it.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
So last post about the G's FUN-eral, I hope. It was a SMASHING success...the entire day could not have gone any better. My mom who is very ill was well enough to participate. The weather was fantastic, live music, laughter mixed with tears and great stories told at the cemetery followed by a phenomenal turn-out (about 200 people) at the party. We had a street band made up of G's friends and their friends (G played trombone in the way back) that was so much fun; my cousin and a good friend are amazing at smoking the meat I bought....people from KC and the Carolinas among the guests and VERY particular about bbq all raved about it. (The brisket was unbelievable and so was the pulled pork - just the right amount of smoke - hickory and wild cherry not too heavy) sauce on the side the way it was meant to be plus we had ham, mostacciolli and a bunch of yummy sides. I got "regular beer" in cans (AB products, Coors/Miller products) plus two half barrels of Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat (G loved it) a lot of different wines and liquors and brownies, cookies, cakes and donuts for dessert. Other music played, stories told, fun fun fun. JOY was the word of the day. I am so flipping lucky to know that so many people loved him like I did....well not quite like I did.
smile.png

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hey, don't make it the last post about it. That was a great post, and if something else about the day pops in your head, share it here. It isn't that we don't mind hearing about it, it's more like we would love to hear about it.

I'm so happy for you that it was a great day. Sounds like the kind of day Gravy would have loved.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I am planning my first trip to leave some of G in a place special to us. He would have been 50 the first week of November. I am taking off work next Friday and will drive to the town in which we met and to the nearby state park where we spent a lot of great time together. I am celebrating his birth and death with mother nature.
Then I am driving to KC to stay with one of his best friends the rest of the weekend to relax.
I am both anxious and excited.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I like what my dad wanted. He was very specific. Everyone goes out to the galveston elk's lodge (old folks fun lodge kind of thing, drinking, socializing, etc), and get drunk off your ass off of fine wine only (no beer, etc - wine only) and remember the good times.

Anyone that cried over his death during that he wanted thrown out.

My dad was an extreme professional all his life. It was an interesting thing to read, to say the least, how he wanted to be remembered.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My parents decided a funeral would be nice. I don't care either way. The only request I had was this song. They both thoughht it was a pretty good fit.

Down to the strength use the mouse and have someone else type.

Oh, pretty fitting song for me.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
....I have had a thought of some shit..

Like, get cremated (I seriously want this)...Then have some crazy bitch nobody knows run in and grab the urn, which will be filled with cigarette ashes or some shit, and start throwing them all over all the guests screaming "take a little of Big_dub with you!!"..

Okay, onto the mature adult shit.

I want to be cremated and spread amongst my favorite places. My wife can keep a little in one of those morbid ass necklace thingies if she wants...
As far as the "funeral"? I can't stand those fucking things that people are sitting there an hour before looking at their watch going "How long do you think this will take? Loved the man but fucking hate funerals."

I want a celebration of my life. I get that dealing with death is sad, and there might be some tears and shit there...But fuck outta here with mourning my death at my send off. Celebrate the shit I did. Celebrate my accomplishments. Get lit off my favorite liquor. I mean, I want people to rejoice in the happiness that I tried every day to spread while on this earth.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user