Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Sadly, not just construction. One of the parts vendors I used told me before he got into construction sales he worked for a medical device company. They sold replacement joint parts (knee/hip/etc). His job was to be on call at all times to attend surgeries that required installation of their products to make sure the surgeon installed them correctly. He told me most of the time the doctors (who do this for a living) would attempt to install the joints upside down.

View attachment 532262
I'm gonna call bullshit on this one.

There's 4 components to most standard knee replacements: the large front facing piece that covers the femoral condyles, the tibial component, and then two plastic spacers between the femorotibial and patellofemoral interfaces.

Each of those components requires shaving off the bone at certain angles and then using trials to ensure fit and stability before cementing the actual implants in place.

My guess is that your boy was talking about the navigation or computer assisted devices that many orthos use now to line up their cuts and ensure proper cutting angles. That being said, each company is a little different and uses their own special jig or some proprietary set up that requires some special tool or something that until you've seen it or used it, would be impossible to figure out.

So maybe putting the array upside down, or attaching the jig upside down or something? Sure. But the implant? No.

1718813277324.jpeg

Here's a good video of a computer assisted knee replacement:

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 8 users