Gaming and general purpose monitors

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Okay, make sure you turn off "Smart HDR." Also, mine looked slightly green for a day or two.
Yeah, I understand the HDR is ass, with garbage local dimming forced on. I'll also give the Rtings calibration profile a try, as I don't have any calibration hardware.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I understand the HDR is ass, with garbage local dimming forced on. I'll also give the Rtings calibration profile a try, as I don't have any calibration hardware.
I didn't have to calibrate shit, I just put it on 'Game 1' and adjusted the hue and saturation very slightly.

It was actually the IPS monitor I had to fuck with the least to get it to look good.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Denamian Denamian I'd be curious what your thoughts are compared the the 27GL850

Well, It came in a day early. Box was beat to shit, but everything inside was intact.

First impression: holy fuck this thing is green. Didn't touch the calibration settings at first and goddamn, it's like I'm viewing things through a green filter. I've always preferred cooler color temps with things on the blue side and default it's the exact opposite. I played around with the settings, tried Rtings recommendations (which skew green for every device I've used them for, so maybe it's me) and I think I've got it dialed in pretty well.

It's certainly brighter than the LG, contrast is maybe a touch better. I like the LG's menu system more, but that's a very minor nitpick.

I've only been using it for maybe an hour, so this is very early impressions, but I would call this a minor upgrade over the LG. It's kicking a 1080p monitor off my desk and is a very good value, so I'm not unhappy with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Hmm sounds like it would be good if I didn't have this LG, otherwise very minor bump. Great deal though, sounds like that monitor punches above it's price point.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Hmm sounds like it would be good if I didn't have this LG, otherwise very minor bump. Great deal though, sounds like that monitor punches above it's price point.

Yep, very good value.

I have now noticed that the backlight is more even than the LG with less IPS glow in the corners.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Almost every gamer is used to using very blue monitors for some reason (I blame Sony and Toshiba CRTs which were blue as fuck.) I only had to turn the green down by 3% ("Gain" is the setting you want to use) and red down by 1% to make this match the color temp on my calibrated OLED panel. I did not have to touch the Windows calibrator in order to get the proper gamma.

I have now noticed that the backlight is more even than the LG with less IPS glow in the corners.

The lack of IPS glow was the thing that impressed me the most. Cheap panels like this used to have tons of glow, especially in the corners, and this has effectively none. I can actually watch full-screen movies on this monitor.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PS: If you're calibrating a monitor by hand this is the website you want to use:

(The gamma test only works if you're viewing the image at the correct DPI. So, if you're at 150% DPI you have to zoom your monitor out to 67% scaling.)

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well Mist Mist , the monitor might not been quite as good as you hyped it up to be, but it helped in other ways. My brother in law ran over his iPhone and the USB-C to DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor saved the day. The display was dead, so I used the cable to plug it into a monitor to see what I was doing and turn on iCloud phone backups. I don't know how he has managed to go without having backups enabled given that he destroys his phones every year or two.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'll go back a few pages, but was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a decent 32 or 34 inch curved gaming monitor. I just been getting Amazon notifications about a whole bunch of different monitors on sale, and I thought about swapping out my 27 inch Dell but I've had for years. I'm just starting to get some dead pixels.

Was looking somewhere around the 300 range. Seems that a lot of the cheaper ones are all just Chinese, but I would imagine most monitors are all made there. I haven't kept up at the technology so I'm a little lost when it comes to all the bells and whistles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I'll go back a few pages, but was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a decent 32 or 34 inch curved gaming monitor. I just been getting Amazon notifications about a whole bunch of different monitors on sale, and I thought about swapping out my 27 inch Dell but I've had for years. I'm just starting to get some dead pixels.

Was looking somewhere around the 300 range. Seems that a lot of the cheaper ones are all just Chinese, but I would imagine most monitors are all made there. I haven't kept up at the technology so I'm a little lost when it comes to all the bells and whistles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Love my

1719354688290.png

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Probably a little bit more than I would want to spend unless I caught it on a great sale. I mean it looks really good.

My eyesight's just not that great so I don't know necessarily what level of monitor I need. I guess the other thing is I'm not certain whether or not I should jump up from 2560 to 3440 resolution. Like I said earlier I just do not know much about current monitor tech.

Thank you though.

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
If you're lucky and don't need a super high refresh rate, alot of the stores like target, costco, and best buy are running in store only clearance on previous year OLED tvs. The LG 42" C3 makes a pretty decent monitor and I've seen it on sale for $300-500.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Probably a little bit more than I would want to spend unless I caught it on a great sale. I mean it looks really good.

My eyesight's just not that great so I don't know necessarily what level of monitor I need. I guess the other thing is I'm not certain whether or not I should jump up from 2560 to 3440 resolution. Like I said earlier I just do not know much about current monitor tech.

Thank you though.
Got my wife one of these last year and it looks and preforms great for her (not a gamer but should do for that too). Picture's great and has a nice clean look. Has a 32" version if you want something a little bigger. Apparently I've bought 2 of these so must have given one to one of the kids also.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I guess the ultimate goal is because I've been playing a little bit more games lately, having something that's bigger and more expensive to just enjoy the experience when I have that free time to play said game.

I've got that 27 inch Dell monitor that I got, shit, maybe back in 2018, 2019, I don't know. It looks good to me, but I'm starting to get burned out pixels. I can kind of ignore them, but dependent upon what's going on screenwise, it's starting to bug me.

I guess that's why I was asking whether or not I could find a nice upgrade for an affordable price.

I figured if I was going to go ahead and spend the money why not upgrade does something larger, and if I had the hazard I guess maybe even the not so amazing stuff it's probably better than the technology of the current monitor I have.

I just don't know, but it seems to reason that would be the case. I could get away with three to 400 bucks for a big widescreen monster, even if it's made in China which I'm sure all of them are at this point, other than South Korea, I'm probably be good to go, especially if I can get it on sale.

For whatever reason Amazon just sent me a bunch of crap the other day with some pretty hefty discounts on stuff, and I sort of went down the rabbit hole. Problem is I try to watch stuff on YouTube about it, and I don't necessarily trust that information as much as I can with FOH.

I guess that's why I was asking about it. I'm starting to play through Elden Ring again, and it made me wonder if a bigger monitor might make the whole deal even more enjoyable, considering how expensive the world is. Guess that's what I was asking about the resolution differences a post or two ago, again I don't know much about the tech when it comes to the new models.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I may have missed it mentioned but what video card do you have? Will make a difference in at least what resolution you should be looking at.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I may have missed it mentioned but what video card do you have? Will make a difference in at least what resolution you should be looking at.
Sorry, didn't check the thread again for some reason. Think it's a 2080 of some sort.

Amazon has a bunch of monitors on sale for the 4th, so I'm looking again.