Gaming and general purpose monitors

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ended up picking up a Dell SW34. For whatever reason I cannot get my laptop to recognize that. It's bizarre and I've never had this type of issue with a peripheral object.

I went to their website and downloaded some firmware crap, and still no dice.

I'm not a tech guy but I'm not an idiot when it comes to dealing with computers, but is there something I ought to do? I'm kind of perplexed at this point.

I know there are a lot of you guys out there that probably know a hell of a lot more than I do though. I'm scratching my head. It was really hoping to be able to sit down and play Golden Ring this evening with a giant 34-in monitor, but now I'm just wanting to punch it.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Windows 10, nothing fancy and that's even I got damn Dell laptop and a Dell monitor. I just can't imagine why they're not seeing each other.

Is it possible that maybe the cable that came with it HDMI wise is just bad? I don't know. There's three ports on the back, and I've plugged it into each one and reset the computer to see if maybe it might recognize it, and stole nothing.

Again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ended up picking up a Dell SW34. For whatever reason I cannot get my laptop to recognize that. It's bizarre and I've never had this type of issue with a peripheral object.

I went to their website and downloaded some firmware crap, and still no dice.

I'm not a tech guy but I'm not an idiot when it comes to dealing with computers, but is there something I ought to do? I'm kind of perplexed at this point.

I know there are a lot of you guys out there that probably know a hell of a lot more than I do though. I'm scratching my head. It was really hoping to be able to sit down and play Golden Ring this evening with a giant 34-in monitor, but now I'm just wanting to punch it.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Windows 10, nothing fancy and that's even I got damn Dell laptop and a Dell monitor. I just can't imagine why they're not seeing each other.

Is it possible that maybe the cable that came with it HDMI wise is just bad? I don't know. There's three ports on the back, and I've plugged it into each one and reset the computer to see if maybe it might recognize it, and stole nothing.

Again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could be cable. Did you verify you can use another monitor on that port? Also if you have another computer. It's possible its DOA but that seems less likely to me because of Dell's QC. I would suspect the HDMI cable/port/laptop first.

Also you sure the monitor is powered on?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I had a strange thing with either my Dell or Asus where the auto switching wasn't working on the input. So the first time I turned it on I had to manually select the DisplayPort input. Never moved it or hooked anything else up so no idea if it still does that. it has always come back on just fine after being powered down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Could be cable. Did you verify you can use another monitor on that port? Also if you have another computer. It's possible its DOA but that seems less likely to me because of Dell's QC. I would suspect the HDMI cable/port/laptop first.

Also you sure the monitor is powered on?
I checked that that was the first thought that I had was maybe it was the HDMI cable. It's got two or three different connections and I've swapped it out and reset after each plug in.

That's what's so perplexing because I'm really shocked that I'm having these issues with a Dell monitor. I know you pay a little bit more but you're doing that for the quality assurance and I'm honestly shocked that I cannot get it to work. I've been sitting watching or trying to find anything on YouTube, but I haven't done anything to to help so far.

I was going to let my wife have my older monitor, I'm pulled it out of her office and plugged it back in and it fires up perfectly fine. Maybe you're right and I just got a dud. It's just bizarre.

Sucks because it's a gargantuan monitor and I'm super excited to be able to use the damn thing. Municipal that my video card won't power it on my head or something?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I checked that that was the first thought that I had was maybe it was the HDMI cable. It's got two or three different connections and I've swapped it out and reset after each plug in.

That's what's so perplexing because I'm really shocked that I'm having these issues with a Dell monitor. I know you pay a little bit more but you're doing that for the quality assurance and I'm honestly shocked that I cannot get it to work. I've been sitting watching or trying to find anything on YouTube, but I haven't done anything to to help so far.
Can you turn it on and get into it's built in settings options for the panel?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Can you turn it on and get into it's built in settings options for the panel?
The I'm bored menu and access to send menu is really bad. It's warm button but it also seems like it's not wanting to do anything if I try to select the language setting. Maybe that might be part of a problem.

I'm actually updating my NVIDIA drivers right now maybe that'll fix it.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Updated my NVIDIA drivers, swapped out the HDMI cord with a different one, and got it up and running. Still not necessarily know what the issue was, but good to go now.

It's wonderful. Fired up Elden Ring and holy hell even the wife was like Jesus that looks amazing. Very happy with my decision to pick it up.

Thank you though Palum Palum .

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I was raised on 'Alienware is overpriced', but their monitors have gotten pretty good.

Snagged a AW3225QF 32", and man even playing FF14 is silky smooth at 4k. It does up to 240hz at max resolution, but it'll be a bit before I get a GPU that can handle that.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was raised on 'Alienware is overpriced', but their monitors have gotten pretty good.

Snagged a AW3225QF 32", and man even playing FF14 is silky smooth at 4k. It does up to 240hz at max resolution, but it'll be a bit before I get a GPU that can handle that.
Yea. Its fucking weird how the brand has been co-opted. If you were into speakers and shit as a kid, it reminds me of Rockford Fosgate stuff. Was some of the best shit you could get at one point, and then Best Buy or something bought them and they turned into mainstream junk for the most part, but they still have a few pieces for the enthusiast that are top of the line.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Yea. Its fucking weird how the brand has been co-opted. If you were into speakers and shit as a kid, it reminds me of Rockford Fosgate stuff. Was some of the best shit you could get at one point, and then Best Buy or something bought them and they turned into mainstream junk for the most part, but they still have a few pieces for the enthusiast that are top of the line.
Back in the late 90's ( I think) when Alienware was the hot new up & coming company, you could buy part of a PC. It was all off the shelf parts , nothing proprietary. I had not built up the confidence to build my own PC's yet, So when it was time to upgrade I'd buy most of one of their PC's and add my own parts. They also had pretty amazing cases! That big Alien head case was my favorite at the time. I used it on a bunch of builds.
Found a pic, this is from 2002 right before lighting destroyed this PC.

IMG_1542.JPG

Really sad to hear about that re: Rockford Fosgate. Back in the day I had 2 of their 12" Pro subs, some other speakers and 4 of their 150 amps.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Just FYI for anyone buying a recent OLED:

I have an aging XB270HU IPS monitor which I love and wanted to get a pair for. Sadly they don't make those any more, so I bought a well-reviewed 27" IPS that ended up being total dogshit (bad viewing angles, irregular lighting at the edges). For an incremental amount more I decided to go OLED and got a Gigabyte AORUS FO27Q2 (SA). Opened, connected, and was immediately appalled by fuzziness and chromatic fringing around text.

After a few minutes of disgruntled research, I found that Microsoft has botched their implementation of ClearType text aliasing and it plays very badly with the pixel structure of new OLEDs. With a bit of tinkering, this tool reduced the problem to tolerable levels.

Last edited:

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Iirc its the qd-oleds that have it worse over the woled pixel structure for text sharpness, but once you get up to 4k its barely noticeable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think it has more to do with pixel structure though (like orientation or RGB) in a lot of cases?