General Gaming News and Discussion

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
What they really need to do is a looter shooter roguelite MMO with strong meta progression in the 40k universe. You make your chapter rock up with a battle barge and with your buddies send down a drop pod at a time.

The inability for Games Workshop to understand what fans of 40k want in a video game is astounding.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
PvP is pretty fun so far in SoD...

Anyway, your point is invalid. DAoC, SWG, EVE, UO, ArcheAge, arguably AION, even Lineage, none of these match your description. Warhammer Online was almost great if Mythic hadn't fucked up a few small things that ruined the whole game (like a really shitty implementation of Gamebyro.) PvP semi-persistent survival games continue to be popular.

The monthly reset means the gear differential never grows to some unsurmountable gulf.
Your examples are all tiny niche games that never made it anywhere. And in 1/2 of them PvP was only a tiny part.

• 2Picard
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Your examples are all tiny niche games that never made it anywhere. And in 1/2 of them PvP was only a tiny part.
Every game I listed PvP was a major part of the game, and by your definition, any MMO that isn't WoW is a tiny niche game? And even WoW continually goes back and forth on how much gear affects PvP. So what game ARE you talking about?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Every game I listed PvP was a major part of the game, and by your definition, any MMO that isn't WoW is a tiny niche game? And even WoW continually goes back and forth on how much gear affects PvP. So what game ARE you talking about?
Well the OG discussion was about looter shooters so IDK why you bring up shit like DAOC which had what 20K people at its peak? LOL? Yeah I would consider that a HIGHLY niche game even for its time. and it ended up lasting what 2-3 yrs before it shut down completely? UO from memory changed their entire rule set back then because of PK problems. EVE is a highly niche game, and all the other asian ass MMOs are whatever.

Name one POPULAR PVP focused MMO right now.

• 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well the OG discussion was about looter shooters so IDK why you bring up shit like DAOC which had what 20K people at its peak? LOL? Yeah I would consider that a HIGHLY niche game even for its time. and it ended up lasting what 2-3 yrs before it shut down completely? UO from memory changed their entire rule set back then because of PK problems. EVE is a highly niche game, and all the other asian ass MMOs are whatever.

1703382308730.png

They don't state the European copies sold after 2003, but the game was about equally popular in Europe as it was in the US, so let's just say around 1 to 1.2 million copies sold. It had roughly the same number of active players as Everquest in 2006, had 7 expansions, and despite Mythic entertainment being shut down by EA, is still running today by EA's Broadsword studio, the same one keeping UO and SWTOR running.

So, you don't know what you're talking about.

And there aren't popular PvP MMOs right now because MOBAs, semi-persistent survival games like Rust and ARK, and Battle Royales compete for the same pool of players. MMOs in general are not popular right now.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Daoc peak active player count was over 250k. Only off by an order of magnitude. It existed for 13 years and then was revived late on.

So, not even close.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Daoc peak active player count was over 250k. Only off by an order of magnitude. It existed for 13 years and then was revived late on.

So, not even close.
It was about 300k in the US and another 200k in Europe, smaller number in APAC region if I remember correctly.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The inability for Games Workshop to understand what fans of 40k want in a video game is astounding.

GW got burned hard and almost went under with Warhammer Online Reckoning. Since that point they've stopped attempting to seek or partner for projects, they only manage suitors who present business plans that won't damage the brand and negotiate favorable terms. What this means in the video game side is that the rot that infects the industry that means when they generally can't create good video games or create a work of fiction without progressive values, very few good large studios with acceptable business plans come forward to negotiate a license.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you want to play PvP go play any of the 1000 dedicated PVP games that dont rely on RPG shit like gear and items to matter.
OK let me head over to the most popular PvP game in the world, League of Legends that relies on, let me check here, ahh yes gear and items.

Nobody is going to risk a PvP MMO right now in this market, at least the big investors are going to laugh you away. It can be done, but not with money from the industry. Remember a micro-transaction horse outsold Wings of Liberty.

I'd be surprised if any good MMOs were released in the next 3 years at all, let a lone PvP. Maybe Riot surprises us, maybe not.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
MOBA is not MMORPG and gear inside of moba is not like morpg. You dont go to a raid, equip the best of the best and shit on people in PvP. I seem to recall even in DAOC gear really didnt matter that much. But if youre going to have a mostly PvE game and PVP inside, like most mmoshooters have been so far, youre going to have to deal with that issue.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Citation needed. Everything I know and see written says otherwise.

I'm not going to troll through recent interviews but it's come out since some of the people of that time are now retiring from GW. They put all their excess profits from LOTR into it and when sales declined nearly lost the farm.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They had some servers of Warhammer online running recently, maybe they still do. I went back and played some and it was pretty good.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm not going to troll through recent interviews but it's come out since some of the people of that time are now retiring from GW. They put all their excess profits from LOTR into it and when sales declined nearly lost the farm.
I found it. They founded a company called Climax Online that was building a Warhammer Online. That project collapsed after they burned through a ton of money, never even made it into alpha. Mythic then bought the license and started over. The Warhammer Online released by EA/Mythic had no connection to the one GW funded.

• 1Salty

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I found it. They founded a company called Climax Online that was building a Warhammer Online. That project collapsed after they burned through a ton of money, never even made it into alpha. Mythic then bought the license and started over. The Warhammer Online released by EA/Mythic had no connection to the one GW funded.

Yea actually that one. It was in an interview with Mark Wells recently IIRC but was that time period.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This Once Human game looks cool. Will check it out on full release.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just dont see where an MMORPG thats 100% PVP will ever be more than a niche. Popular MMO's have proven that most people want to PVP on their own terms, are older, and generally want to log in and relax/chill with the boys. If I had a stressful fucking day, the last thing I want to do is log into stranglethorn vale and try to level through that.

Im fully engrossed with AOC however, and plan to take time off when it finally launches. But by no means do I think that the active users at launch will still be anywhere near that high after the first month, and will likely crater to 20-25% of that.

Riot will probably be the only MMO on the horizon that will have a huge following and PVP will undoubtably be "on demand" only. They need to copy Warmode, as thats one of the smartest things Blizzard has ever done. But the rest of the world needs to be PVE if they want to make it big. New World has at least proven that.