General Gaming News and Discussion

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That article could be true, or could be AI generated clickbait and you'd have no way of knowing the difference.

..... because video game "journalists" are fucking mindless idiot drones that spew out current year talking points.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
..... because video game "journalists" are fucking mindless idiot drones that spew out current year talking points.
My point is that all the "journalists" on that site are indistinguishable from fictional people. There's nothing 'current year' about that article, I don't know what you're talking about.

• 1Slow
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Re: kids

they do not know how anything really works. Even coding is all taught with block coding that is not coding…

they know general “use” of tech but nothing below the surface- it’s why IT tier 1 support still exists as a career lol

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Even coding is all taught with block coding that is not coding…
Actually, the fact that software development has not moved past flat files of text editable in vim in ~50 fucking years represents a real failure of imagination. It would be like if writing never progressed passed chipping stone tablets.

All software development should have progressed into flow-chart based IDEs. The fact that we'll likely end up going straight from flat text to prompt-driven programming is actually weird, but I imagine a situation where we end up with IDEs where prompt-built functions are arranged into software architectures and ultimately service hierarchies using some kind of GUI.

• 2Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Too many abstraction layers.

My 12 year old wanted to be able to browse the web on a device that wasn't his school-provided chromebook, so I got him a monitor, a Pi, and a manual for how to install linux. That sorted itself out right quickly and now he's doing CAD modeling to 3d print parts for homebrew nerf guns.

Last edited:
  • 15Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 16 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Actually, the fact that software development has not moved past flat files of text editable in vim in ~50 fucking years represents a real failure of imagination. It would be like if writing never progressed passed chipping stone tablets.

All software development should have progressed into flow-chart based IDEs. The fact that we'll likely end up going straight from flat text to prompt-driven programming is actually weird, but I imagine a situation where we end up with IDEs where prompt-built functions are arranged into software architectures and ultimately service hierarchies using some kind of GUI.

You do realize there are many examples of these so called flow chart based IDEs and that developers, largely, prefer text based programming languages so these other technologies are usually niche, right?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs

Sounds like Unreal blueprint. We hates it forever!

The worst part about it is the files are binary so you can't diff them and they don't work well with source control.

Editors have come a long way though.

Rude

Potato del Grande
the unembracing begins

Wasn't the old republic remake on track to be social justice faggotry before it got skewered? Unless the faggots in charge of these decisions are gone, who cares if the company leaves Embracer.

Volition was riddled with cancer before it got shut down, doubt there would be a culture shift if it was given this opportunity.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

You bemoan layers of abstraction and then advocate for something like this. It's just as relevant with programming as it is kids learning about computers.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Dreadwolf

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
My point is that all the "journalists" on that site are indistinguishable from fictional people. There's nothing 'current year' about that article, I don't know what you're talking about.

Jesus Christ, you are dense. The point was that both AI and Gaming Journalists are empty vessels repeating back whatever they've been programmed with that fits the current trends.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You do realize there are many examples of these so called flow chart based IDEs and that developers, largely, prefer text based programming languages so these other technologies are usually niche, right?
Weird, a cabal of entrenched autists hate change.
You bemoan layers of abstraction and then advocate for something like this. It's just as relevant with programming as it is kids learning about computers.
All computer languages other than assembly are abstractions, (and even that is technically, but only by being pedantic.) I'm not advocating for new GUIs for existing languages, adding additional layers of abstraction. I'm advocating for entirely new programming paradigms that go straight from logical flow architectures straight to compilation in assembly.

It ultimately doesn't matter, LLMs and the tools they spawn will force the issue. Coding will go away (as in the formatting of specific syntax to producing a given functional outcome) but software development will get a lot more complicated as application architectures ultimately get more complex to interact directly with the real world.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Weird, a cabal of entrenched autists hate change.

No. You work in telecom right? But you were helpdesk most of your career and don't have nearly the experience that a bunch of the rest of us have with actual software development right?

These GUI driven development IDEs that are basically "design mode" Dreamweaver for other languages have been around forever. I've worked with one such integration product offered by Microsoft since 2007, called BizTalk.

These GUIs allow for very fast development of very simplistic design patterns and ideas. The more complex a problem becomes to solve the more handcuffed you are by the built in functionality and have to create your own tasks/items usable within the design interface, which you are writing code for anyway. This makes more complicated applications much, and I do mean much, more tedious and difficult to code in those languages.

Developers don't hate work-flow development IDEs because they hate change, they hate them because they make it much more difficult to create and work with custom code, and in the real world, custom code and solutions are necessary in 99% of everything software developers do.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No. You work in telecom right? But you were helpdesk most of your career and don't have nearly the experience that a bunch of the rest of us have with actual software development right?

These GUI driven development IDEs that are basically "design mode" Dreamweaver for other languages have been around forever. I've worked with one such integration product offered by Microsoft since 2007, called BizTalk.

These GUIs allow for very fast development of very simplistic design patterns and ideas. The more complex a problem becomes to solve the more handcuffed you are by the built in functionality and have to create your own tasks/items usable within the design interface, which you are writing code for anyway. This makes more complicated applications much, and I do mean much, more tedious and difficult to code in those languages.

Developers don't hate work-flow development IDEs because they hate change, they hate them because they make it much more difficult to create and work with custom code, and in the real world, custom code and solutions are necessary in 99% of everything software developers do.
You're missing my point entirely. Your argument is about existing suites of tools that tried to shove existing languages built for syntactic coding into designer IDEs. Yes, I agree, those have all been bad, every one of them basically. I'm talking about "missing link" paradigms that just never seemed to come to fruition for one reason or anything, software development stacks built from the ground up to look like the logical flows that software is meant to manifest. "50 years of vi" is weird, when you look at how the rest of computing evolved over that period.

But again, doesn't matter. LLMs are going to abstract away 95% of the syntactic programming very quickly.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
But again, doesn't matter. LLMs are going to abstract away 95% of the syntactic programming very quickly.

This dissonance between threads is weird. In the AI discussions you're perpetually shitting on LLMs as wastes of electricity and silicon that do not and will never accomplish anything novel or useful and we're all fake and gay for thinking otherwise.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users