General Gaming News and Discussion

Nija

<Silver Donator>
You're missing my point entirely. Your argument is about existing suites of tools that tried to shove existing languages built for syntactic coding into designer IDEs. Yes, I agree, those have all been bad, every one of them basically. I'm talking about "missing link" paradigms that just never seemed to come to fruition for one reason or anything, software development stacks built from the ground up to look like the logical flows that software is meant to manifest. "50 years of vi" is weird, when you look at how the rest of computing evolved over that period.

But again, doesn't matter. LLMs are going to abstract away 95% of the syntactic programming very quickly.
Did you somehow miss Fox, FoxPro, and later Access? 50 years of vi... FoxPro was 35 years ago. And it wasn't an afterthought, then.

Like Khane Khane said... You should see how much complexity is hidden behind ADF (Azure Data Factory) tiles at my company. With flowchart bullshit connecting things. Yet I can't CTRL SHIFT F and find the method that I am looking for, from the root, blindly, nor can I F12 / CTRL F12 and look at definitions.

But hey. What do us software people know, anyway?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're missing my point entirely. Your argument is about existing suites of tools that tried to shove existing languages built for syntactic coding into designer IDEs. Yes, I agree, those have all been bad, every one of them basically. I'm talking about "missing link" paradigms that just never seemed to come to fruition for one reason or anything, software development stacks built from the ground up to look like the logical flows that software is meant to manifest. "50 years of vi" is weird, when you look at how the rest of computing evolved over that period.

But again, doesn't matter. LLMs are going to abstract away 95% of the syntactic programming very quickly.

No I'm talking about things like BPEL

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This dissonance between threads is weird. In the AI discussions you're perpetually shitting on LLMs as wastes of electricity and silicon that do not and will never accomplish anything novel or useful.

Mist being a hypocrite when it suits her so that she can try and sound smart? On THIS forum?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This dissonance between threads is weird. In the AI discussions you're perpetually shitting on LLMs as wastes of electricity and silicon that do not and will never accomplish anything novel or useful.
Just because I don't see the purpose of infinite B-roll generation, and think that LLMs have broad copyright concerns when it comes to news, literature, art, etc, does not mean that they can't/won't abstract away every question junior devs ask daily on stackoverflow.

Different tools are ultimately useful for different things, weird.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Different tools are ultimately useful for different things, weird.

This is just from the last two pages in the ChatGPT thread.

Generative "AI" really shows who is an actual skeptic vs who is super susceptible to bullshit while pretending to be a deep thinker.

Generative AI's real use is being a computer you can have fun arguing with, not really an enterprise app.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No I'm talking about things like BPEL
This brings up a good point. Now that I really think about it, the thing I'm talking about already sorta exists and might be the most used programming language in the world:

Microsoft Excel.

It is graphical, accessible, and organizes basic business application programming into logical flows.

It's possible that the extreme flexibility of Excel made it so that the paradigms I'm talking about were never really needed.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This brings up a good point. Now that I really think about it, the thing I'm talking about already sorta exists and might be the most used programming language in the world:

Microsoft Excel.

It is graphical, accessible, and organizes basic business application programming into logical flows.

It's possible that the extreme flexibility of Excel made it so that the paradigms I'm talking about were never really needed.

Excel is also impossible to do anything really sophisticated in. My entire business of the last 20 years is helping industrial companies move from Excel-limited ad hoc analyses to modeling tools that are efficient and scalable.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Excel is also impossible to do anything really sophisticated in. My entire business is helping industrial companies move from Excel-limited ad hoc analyses to modeling tools that are efficient and scalable.
You can do sophisticated stuff in Excel. It just isn't performant, scalable, or even reliable.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"One of the original directors of Chrono Trigger, Yoshinori Kitase, asked fans about the best approach to bringing back or remaking the classic JRPG for a modern audience."

I have no idea how to feel about this...

Edit - I think dq11 proved the art/combat style could be done in an open world sense. But much like ff7, I just don't want them to fuck with the storyline too hard

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
"One of the original directors of Chrono Trigger, Yoshinori Kitase, asked fans about the best approach to bringing back or remaking the classic JRPG for a modern audience."

I have no idea how to feel about this...

Those last two words make me throw up in my mouth.

• 7Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those last two words make me throw up in my mouth.
Right I get that. The protagonist is marle, and she's black now, and has an illegitimate child with magus that murders lavos for menthols.

Fortunately Japan would be remaking it and not Netflix, so I reserve the right to hope.

• 1Like