German

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Any German speakers out there who can tell me the difference between these two sentences?

Ich habe einen roten Apfel.
Ich habe rote Apfel.

Why do colors change, I can't figure out the grammatical rule and don't speak German well enough to properly google it.

Why is :

"Ich habe ein gelbes Ei" correct and "Ich habe ein gelb Ei" wrong?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
More of what I think is the same issue/rule:

Ich habe ein gelbes Buch. Why can't I say "Ich habe ein gelb Buch."?

Maybe the answer it just because. I'm really enjoying working on another language but do we really need masculine and feminine version of words. I know German isn't as bad as the latin languages with that but it makes vocab so much harder. And add das der and die on top of it
frown.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't have much experience with German, but just looking at it I'd assume it's an issue of using the proper case. I'm curious to hear what some resident German speakers say. Adjectives may change for the case even when nouns don't?

Wuwei_sl

shitlord
Ich habe rote Apfel.
Isn't the difference simply that in the first sentence you are saying 'I haveared apple', whilst in the second one you didn't include 'a' nor the correct form of the adjective relative to the noun ('I have red apple)? My German is very rusty, and I'm not a native speaker though.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your second sentence is wrong, that's the difference.

Adjectives may change for the case even when nouns don't?
The adjective always is supposed to have the same case as its noun.
I don't understand exactly what that's supposed to mean. Context?

The only thing I can think of is this:

Mein roter Apfel ist rot.
Meinem roten Apfel fehlt der Stiel.

In your cases with yellow books, the case of the book does actually change, both cases simply have the same spelling.

This isn't limited to colors.

Ich habe ein schnelles Auto
Mein Auto ist schnell

McCheese

In your cases with yellow books, the case of the book does actually change, both cases simply have the same spelling.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. The case technically changes for both the adjectives and nouns, but sometimes the form only changes for the adjective.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In german the noun and the adjective express the case.
While modern english has dropped many forms of declension and adopted a very strict form of word order, most older european languages still use declension forms extensively.
So you have the pita to learn german gender (male female neutral) case and number forms of not only nouns but adjectives as well. And on top of all of that a whole bunch of irregular forms or exceptions (no rule w/o exception).

Edit:

Ich habe rote Apfel.

While the 2nd sentence written as that is wrong (cause red / rot is not declined to match 4th case of ONE apple / Apfel), the mere addition of two points near the A (and i think thats what confused you originally) transforms the whole word Apfel to ?pfel which indicates 4th case of many apples and coincidently matching the 4th case, male, multiple form of rot written as rote, thus rendering the sentence correct.

Chris

Potato del Grande
English is awesome.

Since it was mentioned... why do so many european languages have gendered words, has nobody ever stopped and thought "this is fucking stupid"?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
English is awesome.

Since it was mentioned... why do so many european languages have gendered words, has nobody ever stopped and thought "this is fucking stupid"?
Yes they did, and they got in boats and came to the new world just to get away from this sort of nonsense.

Thanks for helpful responses, I am slowly getting there on the grammar. Will probably need more time spent on grammar then on vocabulary. Enjoying learning a new language, have a live tudor session tomorrow with a German and I can't wait to say every word I've learned sounding as angry as I can to see if I can get a response. (My enjoyment of German goes up three fold by sounding angry.) The apple is red!

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Best of luck to you Blazin with your German studies. I moved to Switzerland from Canada about 5 years ago now, and the first thing I did when I got here was to take 6 months of German courses. I already spoke French so learning a foreign language with genders and declensions was nothing new to me, yet I'm still struggling with some aspects of German grammar. In fact, what you posted about is the thing I struggle the most with. Whether I should be using ein, eine, einen, einem, eines, einer or whatever is my biggest problem.

It doesn't help that I live in Switzerland and they don't speak 'High German' here but rather a dialect that even native german speakers can have a hard time understanding. But the dialects here are also just spoken languages, not a written one. For example, a newspaper in Switzerland is written in high german, which isn't what is spoken on the streets. So when I ask people why something is that way or the rule behind it they often can't explain it or just shrug and say, es ist einfach so.

At any rate, if you find a good rule or way to think about it yourself, please share as I'm always on the look out for way to improve my german.

And finally, a bit of humorhttp://metinmediamath.wordpress.com/...rain-overload/

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Ive been slowly learning German as well. Getting the articles
and adjective endings correct in a tougher sentence is nearly impossible unless you speak retardedly slow.

Luckily they will still understand you when you butcher it.

And I feel your pain Pyratec. My wife's family speaks the most backwoods Bavarian you would ever hear.

McCheese

Cases are tough for most native speakers of English to wrap their heads around. It really takesa lotof practice to get it to the point where it becomes more automatic.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
And its also the very last thing any non native speaker will master. Cases on articles, thats it.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Are you getting your Swiss citizenship? Curious about how difficult of a process that is.
I am going to get my Swiss citizenship. The process isn't easy but it's helped by the fact that I'm married to a swiss citizen. Basically, I need to live and pay taxes in the same 'gemeinder' for five years in a row (to show some stability or something I don't know why really) and still be married at the end and then I can go for it. This has caused me a couple problems as my wife is from Bern and so that's where I first registered myself when I moved here. Unfortunatley, the job market in Bern, despite it being the capital city, is really thin for non native German speakers. The main employer in the city is the government, and they're understandably mainly interested in hiring Swiss people. The second biggest is Die Post, and again, it's pretty hard for a non native german speaker to get in there. So I've ended up working in Z?rich for two years and now in Schaffhausen for the past while and have had to take another apartment in those cities while still maintaining my apartment in Bern as my primary address. Rent is pretty crazy expensive in this country, especially in Z?rich, so it's been very expensive to pay for two apartments at the same time. My 650 sq. foot apartment in the suburbs of Z?rich, about a 20 min train ride from the center, cost 1550 USD per month, and I got a pretty good deal on it.

I also have to pass some kind of basic test about Switzerland and it's history and show I've made an effort to learn one of the four official languages here, I've been told this is nothing to worry about though and as I speak two of the four languages here I'm not concerned. After that I think I have to pay about 1000 CHF and I'm done.

If you're not married to a swiss citizen, the five years becomes twelve, otherwise I think it's the same. The issue when you're not married to a swiss citizen is getting into the country in the first place. If you don't have a European Union passport, getting a working visa can be very difficult as your potential employer will have to prove that there is no one in the EU who wants to come here and is capable of doing the same job. It's not impossible, but that makes things a lot harder. Switzerland is a very attractive destination for lots of Europeans as while things are very expensive here, the salaries are pretty high to match. I make almost double what I made in Canada here for doing the same job but my expenses are only about 50% higher. Overall I'm really happy I made the move here and even if things eventually one day end with my wife I think I would stay here.

I'm from Calgary too Ichu, where did you go to high school?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Quineloe help me! Having a German grammer issue

Have two sentences
Er liest sein Buch.
Er isst seinen Apfel.

why does the form ofhischange on the second sentence?