Ghostbusters (2016)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i just dont understand why the fuck they turned a beloved classic into a women vs men divisive movie? like why the fuck would a major movie studio greenlight 150 million to make a movie that tells half the human population to fuck off and die? lol, they really dont know what the shit they are doing over at sony. how they managed to produce incredible series such as breaking bad and better call saul is mindboggling.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would love it if this would make the wall of shame (although some on the wiki don't look like total bombs, only creative accounting)
List of box office bombs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of films considered the worst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Adventures of Pluto Nash (2002) - $100,000,000 budget
The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000) - $76,000,000-98,600,000 budget
Battlefield Earth (2000) - $73,000,000-103,000,000 budget
Catwoman (2004) - $100,000,000 budget
Evan Almighty (2007) - $175,000,000 budget
Gigli (2003) - $75,600,000 budget
Pan (2015) - $150,000,000 budget
R.I.P.D. (2013) - $130,000,000-154,000,000 budget
Zoom (2006) - $75,600,000 budget

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I liked RIPD for what it was. Just a fun action movie.
yeah, my dad and i saw it after MoS. we needed something to pick us up after we got traumatized from that movie. my dad was in manhattan during 9/11. got stuck at his office and couldnt leave because of the smoke all over the city. he had asthma and lung cancer so he ended up spending the night sleeping on his desk.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
i just dont understand why the fuck they turned a beloved classic into a women vs men divisive movie? like why the fuck would a major movie studio greenlight 150 million to make a movie that tells half the human population to fuck off and die? lol, they really dont know what the shit they are doing over at sony. how they managed to produce incredible series such as breaking bad and better call saul is mindboggling.
I think the women vs men pseudo feminism bullshit was more of a plan b strat to deflect criticism. Not that Sony is quite so dumb or smart and/or cunning or whatever it would be to orchestrate all this nonsense. And pun intended with "plan b" because this movie should have been aborted like so many of the feiggots using it to prop up stupid agendas.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Guys I don't mean to trigger you but there IS a queef joke.

I'm sorry your childhood is over.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
No China, so that's something like 75% of the international market these days out of the picture.

HUH_sl

shitlord
It won't. Live action comedies are never hugely successful overseas. It's not opening in China, not that it really matters, China doesn't give a shit about American comedies and Ghostbusters has no cultural significance there.

Since it's more of an action comedy it probably won't bomb horribly in foreign markets, but your probably looking at a 50/50 split. It has stiff competition next week too with a big comedy and sci-fi movie releasing. It will end up in the 200-300m range which while not a terrible disaster must be on the low end of their expectations. They wanted a franchise starter, not a better than average performing Feig movie.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Pluto Nash had a hundred million dollar budget?

Jesus god, how does anyone in that industry have a job.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It won't. Live action comedies are never hugely successful overseas. It's not opening in China, not that it really matters, China doesn't give a shit about American comedies and Ghostbusters has no cultural significance there.

Since it's more of an action comedy it probably won't bomb horribly in foreign markets, but your probably looking at a 50/50 split. It has stiff competition next week too with a big comedy and sci-fi movie releasing. It will end up in the 200-300m range which while not a terrible disaster must be on the low end of their expectations. They wanted a franchise starter, not a better than average performing Feig movie.
thery're only projecting 46 million opening weekend, movies always go down after that unless its an amazing film which gains word of mouth appeal. i dont see this doing that. i predict it will make under 10 mil next week, 5 the next and then probably get shitcanned out of there.

HUH_sl

shitlord
10 million next weekend would probably make it one of the worst 2nd weekend drops of all time. Which would be hilarious, but Feig has pretty decent record when it comes to his movies longevity.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Still no updates on the total for the weekend, everyone just riding the Friday estimate. edit: looks like they're confirming the $46M number.

'Pets' Slimes 'Ghostbusters' While 'Finding Dory' Swims to All-Time Domestic Record - Box Office Mojo
More realistically, we're probably looking at a domestic run around $135-145 million. Ghostbusters carries a $144 million budget (net after tax incentives and rebates) and received an "A-" CinemaScore for the under 25 crowd, and an overall "B+", on par with Bridesmaids and Spy and just behind The Heat's "A-".

Internationally, Ghostbusters delivered $19.1 million from three major territories along with a few smaller markets. The opening included $6.1 million from the UK where the film opened on July 11 along with $3.7 million from Australia and $2.2 million in Brazil. Key upcoming releases include Russia and Italy on July 28, Germany (Aug 4), France (Aug 10), Mexico and Spain on August 12 and Japan on August 19.
Not a total bomb but nothing great either.