Ghostbusters (2016)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Holy shit. The day it costs me $200 to take my family to the movies is the day we never go to the movies again.
I don't go anymore for that reason. I invested a good amount for a 70 inch TV and a really nice surround sound and big leather "movie" recliners we can shift in front of the TV, and we have movie nights when shit drops onto DVD. Far, far cheaper in the long run, and frankly it's an awesome experience with modern electronics.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When I pulled out a ten-spot and it wasn't enough to cover the single ticket I was purchasing I decided the theater experience wasn't for me any longer.
when i pulled out a brand new never been used 25 dollar giftcard to AMC theaters to pay for a movie for me and a friend and was told i needed more money to cover the ticket, thats when i decided that movies can go fuck themselves until they rein in their retarded prices.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
All news to me. I rarely go the movies. Can't believe some of the prices you guys are quoting.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
when i pulled out a brand new never been used 25 dollar giftcard to AMC theaters to pay for a movie for me and a friend and was told i needed more money to cover the ticket, thats when i decided that movies can go fuck themselves until they rein in their retarded prices.
Last time I went it was $4 a ticket for afternoon showing. Good to have three theaters desperately trying to stay in business within a 10 mile area.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I go to a movie about every other week. I get food there maybe every 4th time, and even then it's usually their gallon of free-style machine. The 40 oz of Raspberry Coke Zero is MAYBE worth the 8 dollars it cost.

Movies are $8 matinee, $10.50 standard, and +$2 for 3D.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
2 kids, myself, and the girl all went today at 1pm showing (non 3d), 1 large popcorn and 1 large drink. $44.50. No clue how that broke down. Movie was watchable, kids liked it. I'd basically rate it at 5 out of 10 stars. Couple of funny jokes, couple of cringe worthy things, mostly a lot of meh.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I go to a movie about every other week. I get food there maybe every 4th time, and even then it's usually their gallon of free-style machine. The 40 oz of Raspberry Coke Zero is MAYBE worth the 8 dollars it cost.

Movies are $8 matinee, $10.50 standard, and +$2 for 3D.
3 Lux tix are 90 bucks. General admission tix were 15 bucks x4. Yeah anything near Boston sucks. Plus beers/food for the girl and my moms. Some popcorn and drinks for the kids? Well over 200 now that I think about it.

I WISH I had the room to put a nice theater in the house.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, All this bluster and stone throwing on both ends seemed to not matter one bit? Movie is doing alright, as it would without the "press" , will get a terrible forgotten sequel in a few years. It has the same humor as every other terrible modern comedy. The wheel turns and the cycle never changes.

Link the fire, don't link the fire, doesnt matter.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
isn't it going to tank in the overseas box office since China wont show it? thats got to hit it deep in its profit margins.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Its doing at or around projections apparently. It's alright but it aint real.
Yes, but those projections came out after the horrible trailer and the campaign of idiocy from Paul Feig against the fans.

If the fans had embraced this movie instead of turned against it, the projections would have been much higher.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yes, but those projections came out after the horrible trailer and the campaign of idiocy from Paul Feig against the fans.

If the fans had embraced this movie instead of turned against it, the projections would have been much higher.
To the tune of how much? How quantifiable is that? I agree the marketing and the movie sucks, but i think most marketing and most movies suck. It's insulting to the fans of the original, it may not even make its budget back, but it is hitting the projections for a "sequel". It may be lip service like Green Lantern having a "sequel". None of it is quantifiable yet except weekend projections. It's second weekend may have a worse drop than Batman V superman. Still too early to call it a "failure" or a "win" for social justice womyn.

Szlia

If they surveyed the people who saw the movie I am pretty sure you'll learn 99% saw advertisements for it. What percentage knew there was a gender related polemic around the movies? 20%? What percentage read the tweets by Feig? 1%? If that. It's pretty rare that at the end of the day advertisement does not win.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Pretty sure everyone saw an ad for the movie at some point. Holy tryhard. Even had a promo tied in with fucking Jeopardy where Alex interrupted a contested to promote the movie.

But the way social media works these days people may not have been on ground zero of the controversy, but my guess is a healthy amount of tickets were from women going because womyn. Chatter from a lot of the women at my work was they heard the new Ghostbusters was being attacked by dumb men and many who wouldn't typically be interested in the franchise, nor the Bridesmaids style of queef humor, were going to go see it in solidarity.

Think they're saying like 55% of viewers were women. That only happens because of all the nonsense. An no doubt if it had just been a solid, even average, remake without all the gimmick and controversy it would have done much better and probably with a higher demographic than 55% women buying tickets.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Pretty sure everyone saw an ad for the movie at some point. Holy tryhard. Even had a promo tied in with fucking Jeopardy where Alex interrupted a contested to promote the movie.

But the way social media works these days people may not have been on ground zero of the controversy, but my guess is a healthy amount of tickets were from women going because womyn. Chatter from a lot of the women at my work was they heard the new Ghostbusters was being attacked by dumb men and many who wouldn't typically be interested in the franchise, nor the Bridesmaids style of queef humor, were going to go see it in solidarity.

Think they're saying like 55% of viewers were women. That only happens because of all the nonsense. An no doubt if it had just been a solid, even average, remake without all the gimmick and controversy it would have done much better and probably with a higher demographic than 55% women buying tickets.
I don't understand why anyone is saying it would have done better without the controversy. Did you guys see the trailers? They were atrociously bad. That's why they had to stir up controversy because they knew it would get no traffic at all without it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Made less than the secret life of pets, pretty sure that's not a good thing

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If they surveyed the people who saw the movie I am pretty sure you'll learn 99% saw advertisements for it. What percentage knew there was a gender related polemic around the movies? 20%? What percentage read the tweets by Feig? 1%? If that. It's pretty rare that at the end of the day advertisement does not win.
I'll excuse you on this since you don't live in the U.S but that gender shit was in every fucking article, review, interview etc. It was brought up non stop. It was part of the advertising.