Ghostbusters (2016)

Devlin

Golden Squire
It's at 62% on Metacritic which for movies isn't a terrible score. I find Metacritic to generally be spot on for its review scoring. RT is bollocks, a movie getting an across the board 2.6 out of five would get 100%.

I think if you make a movie and people think it's shit you should just keep your mouth shut instead of bad mouthing gigantic sections of the population, it makes you look like a twat.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never heard of a studio releasing only specific reviewers from an embargo before. Sort of ridiculous if true, but then I also can't recall a movie where people have voiced such strong opinions of a movie months before release to where a studio could easily predict how a critic's opinion is likely to shake out, so maybe it's ingenious for Sony to take advantage of this.

I do wonder how this will actually work out for them though. How many people who are going to go see a movie over the weekend are going to be checking Rotten Tomatoes a week prior? And for those that do, how will their opinion change if the RT score suddenly starts to nosedive 20-30% rather than starting somewhere more towards the middle?

Szlia

Yeah, rotten tomatoes can be dumb simply due to anger over hype train fails or bad marketing. Batman vs Superman 27%, Tommy W's The Room 33%. I didn't like BvS, but it wasn't a stinker on that level.
It's important to understand that the RT score is a strange beast. In your example, it just means there is 73% of reviewers that find Batman vs Superman below average, but it says nothing about how far below. The Room ends up with a higher RT score probably because it falls into the "so bad it's good" category for a number of reviewers. Or to say that differently, a film with 66% of F grades can have a better RT score than a film with 73% of D grades.

It's a bit silly, but, at the end of the day, you don't want to see a movie graded D a lot more than one graded F, so the RT score can be seen as a likeliness of you enjoying watching the movie. Looking at it that way, is that surprising that The Room ends with a better score than Batman vs Superman?

Now, that does not address the potential gap between the average movie critic and the average movie goer, so it probably works better if you find a couple critics that you find yourself often agreeing with and go with their assessment instead of the average. Or you can be as stupid as me and never be deterred by a bad review while often being encouraged by a positive one!

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Rotten Tomatoes 76%
Average Rating: 6.6/10
Reviews Counted: 68
Fresh: 52
Rotten: 16

Metacritic 62%
24 reviews

Imdb 3.8/10
4660 votes

Chicago Sun-Times Richard Roeper Jul 11, 2016
"Ghostbusters is a horror from start to finish, and that's not me saying it's legitimately scary. More like I was horrified by what was transpiring onscreen."

lol

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You get critics that are going to like things no matter what to appease their demographic and then you will get those that shit on everything popular to get clicks. Very few non agenda driven critics left these days. I find this website a valuable resource for good reviews on almost everything. Especially who is reviewing it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As far as non-agenda driven critics, the only one I usually agree with is redlettermedia. Unfortunately by the time I watch their review I've already seen the movie. They aren't influencing whether or not i see it. I let rerolled be my guide

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Red Skull is displeased with Ghostbusters poor reviews. - Imgur

qLihq78.jpg

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From a post on RT

Secret Life of Pets: All Critics = 76% / Top Critics = 76%
Legend of Tarzan: All Critics = 36% / Top Critics = 36%
Finding Dory: All Critics = 95% / Top Critics = 90%
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates: All Critics = 41% / Top Critics = 39%
Central Intelligence: All Critics = 68% / Top Critics = 63%

Now, let's look at Ghostbusters as of 1:20 pm on 7/11/16...
Ghostbusters: All Critics = 77% / Top Critics = 47%

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't know how RT works. What does that discrepancy mean?

Is Mike and Dave really worse than Central Intelligence? CI was decent, but mike and dave looks a lot better.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The RT % is simply positive versus negative reviews, if you want an actual rating you would have to look at the film's individual page for the average rating. Using your two movies as an example:

40% - 5/10 Rating -Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates(2016) - Rotten Tomatoes
67% - 5.7/10 Rating -Central Intelligence(2016) - Rotten Tomatoes

Now click theTop Criticsnext to the Tomatometer title:

39% - 5.8/10 Rating - Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
63% - 5.2/10 Rating - Central Intelligence

Strange, CI got a higher percent yet a worse average rating (despite remaining consistent with the overall)? We can even further compare the user votes and both are exactly the same at 70% liked it with 3.7/5 rating.
Bottom line is that RT does not do well with controversial or borderline movies in the 5.0 - 6.0 rating range

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have to watch it now (via torrent though) just to judge for myself how shitty it really is. From that reviewer in his car it sounds atrocious, and I have to see something that bad.

The sad thing is, if they want a "female empowerment film" all they have to do is look at something like Pitch Perfect 1 & 2. I really liked those, but they were all about girls kicking ass. Of course, I'm sure somebody somewhere can tell me why I'm wrong and why those movies are just more misogyny.

khalid

Unelected Mod
This has to be one of the most blatant instances of bias/rigging that we have seen in movie reviews. Pretty much every positive review makes comments about grrl power and putting it to the haters. With the embargo and the biased positive reviews however, it is giving them what appears on the surface to be a positive score.

Given it seems to be fooling even some of the posters here, my guess is this is going to succeed in giving the public the impression that this movie is actually good and will help push people into the seats. Pretty sad.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
once it is out, word of mouth will go for the success thing , see BvS dawn of justice- while Successful world wide- in the US, it -relatively- Tanked for such a huge movie

so if it follows BvS- largish first weekend then a 70% drop or so 2nd weekend then gone in 4-5 weeks.......

Caliane

I will admit. Far too many assholes seem invested in this being bad. Tracking reviews, reviewers, celeb reactions, etc. christ. who gives a fuck?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I will admit. Far too many assholes seem invested in this being bad. Tracking reviews, reviewers, celeb reactions, etc. christ. who gives a fuck?
This is everything that is wrong with modern day cinema, that's why.

They rebooted a childhood classic movie that deserved to be untouched. They fucked with the wrong people.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I could give a shit that it's bad. Most reboots are. Hell, most movies are in general. This is the first movie I've seen where there's an entire movement around this film that if you think it looks bad you're sexist and a privileged white male nerd ruining the entire world by suppressing women by your dislike of a bad movie. Oh, and if you don't think this movie is funny you're the unfunny one, and probably male, because all men are unfunny idiots. Oh, and they're blatantly skewing reviews more than any movie ever, such that I say how shitty it looks, and my girlfriend agrees, but then she mentions the reviews aren't that bad... and then she starts going along with some of the girl-power bullshit and says she wants us to go see it and I have to inform her I'll leave her if she tries to make me go.

All for a movie that should have been laughed at a little, then ignored.