Ghostbusters (2016)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Gonna carpet bomb our house?
Yes and 65 because that happens to be the amount of air to ground missiles remaining in my F16 and I would gladly use my remaining arsenal on anyone stupid enough to see this movie. And then, I am going to send a bill to their families for my mid-air refueling costs and time and materials to reload at my base.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I can already read the huffington post headline

"New ghostbusters flop proves America has a long way to go with their sexist and misogynist attitudes"

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Yes. Yes she has.

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-april-oneil.jpeg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
One of the things that I find unfortunate about modern film making is that making money isn't enough for the studios anymore. They want to makecrazymoney AND have a franchise on their hands. They don't want to just make a Ghostbusters film that people like and is financially successful. They want to jump start an entire cinematic universe with a megahit. Anything below that is seen as a failure by the suits.

It's fucked up.
That's true if it's a blockbuster with a budget of 100-200 million or more just for production, yes. Which is what most people perceive as "Hollywood" these days. There's still film makers and studios out there making smaller budget movies, they just don't get nearly as much attention, because for better or worse most of the viewing public only seems interested in seeing whatever the latest blockbuster or comic book movie is. We only have ourselves to blame for it.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to see it twice so uth has to buy more missiles. Do I need to post my ticket stubs, or will you take my word for it?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
We only have ourselves to blame for it.
The last movie I saw was Green Room. It has Anton Yelchin it and was written/directed by Jeremy Saulnier. He also did Blue Ruin from 2013 that was pretty good. Green Room was also pretty good. I only really knew about either because the guys at Red Letter Media occasionally do a video where they talk about all the stuff they've seen and give some recommendations. It's how I found The Battery (very, very good independent zombie flick made on a shoestring budget) and even Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal.

I honestly just don't know how to find out about quality smaller budget / independent films and they never, ever show up in theaters less than fifty miles away.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I was not planning to see this due to all the omg mysoggknee's going on with this but said I would if the reviews showed it being really good previous to the directors comments. After reviews I can put that to rest with an eat shit Paul Feig.

Instead I will happily watch Finding Dory or The Secret Life of Pets.

dangler_sl

shitlord
I'm thinking about watching this in theaters just so I can do my best Max Cady impression and annoy everyone that legitimately thinks the movie looks good, or wants to support it because 'feminism'.

rrr_img_136658.jpg

[eidt] after thought- "Man removed from Ghostbusters (2016) for laughing at the movie" r/nottheonion

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
has this been posted here yet?
Paul Feig: Why Men Arent Funny (Guest Column) - Hollywood Reporter

Paul Feig: Why Men Aren't Funny

With Apologies to the late Christopher Hitchens, whose 2007 essay 'Why Women Aren't Funny' elicited outrage, The Heat director Paul Feig rebuts 'The Myth of Male Hilarity.'

Poor men. You hear them at the office, in restaurants, in bars, their brains filled with meaningless facts about sports, cars and electronics as they entertain friends with their endless jokes about genitalia and bathroom activities, not to mention their humorous accusations as to the sexual orientation of their conversation partners. They loudly amuse themselves by hurling insults and epithets -- the words "dick," "balls" and "ass" being the etymological anchors of their attacks -- all for the express purpose of making one another laugh. They seem to be having such a great time that you'd feel like a monster alerting them to this one unfortunate fact: Men just aren't funny.

Oh, sure, there are men who truly make us laugh. None come to mind at the moment, but I know history has provided us with a few. Euripides was sort of a jokester. English poet John Donne got off a corker every once in a while. But in general, the male species' sense of humor seldom rises above the enjoyment of watching one of their own take a swift shot to the testicles.

PHOTOS: Funny or Die's Top 10 MVPs

It makes sense. Men are genetically programmed to hunt and gather. It is they who must impregnate the herd and protect the collective. And so it's only logical that their brains would need to possess lower humor standards in order to pass the hours entertainingly with their cohorts while stalking that night's dinner or standing guard against the enemy. Imagine if they had to amuse their fellow warriors with jokes and banter that were actually funny. That impossibly high standard would leave them in such despair that they would become easy prey. Imagine the despondent hero, now tribeless, wandering the wastelands and muttering in tragic self-awareness, "I can't believe I thought those limericks about that guy from Nantucket were funny."

And so nature has provided humankind with two biological safeguards: 1) an intellectual anomaly that allows males to believe that they and their friends are funny, and 2) a survival instinct that impels women to laugh at men's jokes. As long as the men feel good about themselves, no matter how delusionary those feelings may be, the tribe will continue to function.

Is modern society now ready to transition away from the Myth of Male Hilarity? After all, today's world has erased most of the survival needs that once required a woman to inflate the comedic self-worth of the men around her. Grocery stores, police departments and in vitro fertilization perform the functions once reserved for her Y-chromosome counterparts. The 21st-century woman is finally free to reveal her comedic superiority and inform her penised inferiors that they will never again be permitted to make that "in my pants" joke.

STORY: 'The Heat' Creative Team Reuniting for Action Comedy

Alas, women's evolved nature, along with their desire to avoid the dystopian nightmare of men trying even harder to be funny, causes them to withhold the soul-crushing revelation of masculine jocular inferiority. But many more women now also will continue to follow bravely in the footsteps of those pioneering females who elicited laughter before them, risking societal harmony in the name of making the world a more hilarious place.

So, hail to thee, funny women. Continue to remove the bushels from your bright and uproarious lights, and we in the know will laugh politely at the "funny men" as we wink to one another behind their desperate but well-meaning backs. It's just the right thing to do.

rlm has their re:view of original ghostbusters that also taps into the upcoming one (Ghostbusters (1984) - re:View - YouTube)

ali wong(srsly watch it on netflix) and to some extent (but not wholly, particularly her show) amy schumer are the only 2 female standup comics that are good/exceptional. all others arent good enough or tend to not let themselves be wholly scrutinized leading to the crowd being hesitant to laugh at them. trying to band together women will never equate the commaraderie of men. based on the trailer, i wouldnt take my daughter to see this.