Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I agree with Void. My theater also clapped at the end but I left mildly disappointed because most of the really badass scenes were in the trailer and the human element in this movie was legit awful. I'd also go maybe 6-6.5/10 and I'm curious where it goes in the Kong movie given the after credits scene but I definitely wasn't blown out of my seat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
No. Fuck you, Katie Rife. I've read all I need to know about you. Seeing this asap

View attachment 209500

THIS IS WHY PACIFIC RIM WAS A FAILURE WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RAVING SUCCESS. BECAUSE IT WASN'T!

This is also why Hollywood is creatively bankrupt now. If you cannot understand that you can make a slow moving arthouse movie to rave reviews but you can ALSO make a 2 hour kaiju slap-fest to the same, you've lost the narrative.

Edit - This is why Pacific Rim failed commercially. I really liked it, in spite of Charlie Hunnam hamming his way through it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I somewhat agree with this, but I was more disappointed. It was not 2 hours of fighting, which I knew it couldn't be of course. It was more like 30 mins, which would be ok, except the other 90 minutes was Stupid Human Drama Level 10. The stupid in Kong: Skull Island was literally just Samuel L. Jackson doing a Captain Ahab. The rest of it, for the most part, was fairly decent aside from Brie Larson being a cunt (I just rewatched it the other night, and it is amazing how cardboard and aloof she is in most of that movie too.) The "connective tissue" in Godzilla was just bad aside from Charles Dance. When the only character you really want to live is a nameless grunt or two, I feel like they fucked up somewhere.

I'm making it sound like I hated it, which I didn't, but it wasn't anywhere as good as I let myself hype up to. My theater clapped at the end though, so maybe it was just me. I'd give it a 6/10, because the fight scenes were definitely awesome. But if you took all the fights out of it and just watched the SHD, it would be like a 2. It was still much better than the last Godzilla though. I wish I had rewatched that one too, maybe this one would have looked even better in comparison.

Oh, one side note. Kong had better get a LOT fucking bigger and damage (and fire!) resistant if he's gonna compete with Godzilla. In Kong they did say that he's still growing, and it was 50 years ago movie time, so anything can happen, but Godzilla would have wrecked that Kong. Sure, Kong is probably a better fighter, and if he were savvy he might do stuff like go for the eyes (Boo!), but if he's going to be one of the "alphas" he needs to go through an intense Rocky-style training montage first AND learn to shrug off nuclear breath and shit. I feel like one random breath would ignite all that gorilla hair instantly, and even if all it did was piss Kong off, 3rd degree burns over his entire body can't help much. Godzilla and King Gidorah would have used 1970s Kong to wipe their ass. Who knows though, maybe they'll team up right from the start instead of fighting first. Ha, right, we all know they will fight first.

"Who would win: Godzilla or King Kong?"

"Does King Kong have time to prepare.....?"

• 4Worf
  • 2Rustled
Reactions: 5 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
I'm a little surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for Pacific Rim. I really enjoyed the first one. Was the story a bit cheesy? Sure. Especially the bits with Charlie from Always Sunny and the creepy scientist who seems like he was in a different movie. But there was enough Robot vs Kaiju action to keep me thoroughly entertained

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The main criticism of PR was the overuse of night / watery scenarios for the action and CGI. Everyone just pretends the 2nd one doesn't exist.

Hiding a monster for the 1st act until a big reveal makes sense, but not for the whole movie.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
The main criticism of PR was the overuse of night / watery scenarios for the action and CGI. Everyone just pretends the 2nd one doesn't exist.

Hiding a monster for the 1st act until a big reveal makes sense, but not for the whole movie.

That's not an unfair criticism. But it also gave the movie a certain feel that it wouldn't have had otherwise.

A good monster fight in the stark sunlight would've been cool too though

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Movie was fun as hell. Human drama was retarded as always, but at least the actors were more enjoyable than Kick Ass, who I hated in the previous movie.

All the monster action was top notch, you first get to see Mothra about two minutes in and they really did a great job making her into something formidable. Same thing with Rodan, I always felt these two were underwhelming in the old movies, as most of their scenes were literally miniatures on a wire being flown into the guy in the Godzilla suit. Here they are both much more alive and interactive.

Godzilla vs Ghidora was pretty visceral. No blood from any monsters, but the violence was impressive from the two alphas. I wish we had more time with all of the kaiju they made up for this movie, but it is what it is.

Lots of homages to concepts and devices from the older films. Obviously we already had Dr. Serizawa, but they even throw in an Oxygen Destroyer in this one. Also an Easter Egg of the Shobijin when the Chinese scientist was going through her family photos. Good nods if you are a long time fan of the series. I saw this right before work so I didn't have time to watch the end credits sequence. Going to see it again with the girlfriend tomorrow, so I will check it out then.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This was pretty good, not great. My biggest beef with it was not enough time spent fleshing out all of the Kaiju - they could have shortened the human bullcrap in half and used that time on the other Kaiju and it would have been great

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The human bullshit was awful. Worse than the first one but the fighting was righteous. As usual not enough of the latter.

I got a little teary eyed when Mothra hatched from her caccoon. That shit was beautiful.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Who is talking bad about Pacific Rim? Movie was great. Have not seen godzilla yet, soon. Sad to hear there is too much human element in it though.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Every Godzilla since the early days always had shitty human drama parts, so I'm not surprised. But you need that because shitty human drama doesn't drain your budget as much lol

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, just got back from seeing this with Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I'll give it a solid 6.5 mostly on effects and such. I went in wanting to see Godzilla wreck shit, I saw Godzilla wreck shit. Mission accomplished.

They're doing a decent job of some world building around the Kaiju, along with references to Kong and other parts to flesh out the world.

I will admit, that just like the last one I am eager to see the supermix where they just remove all the human crap, but as mentioned 2 hours of monster fights would burn money faster than Mark Cuban on a H&B bender.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Same as everyone. It was good, Godzilla kicked some ass. Needed less human stuff. But that's always the kicker with these movies. My 8yo and 11yo enjoyed it.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I somewhat agree with this, but I was more disappointed. It was not 2 hours of fighting, which I knew it couldn't be of course. It was more like 30 mins, which would be ok, except the other 90 minutes was Stupid Human Drama Level 10. The stupid in Kong: Skull Island was literally just Samuel L. Jackson doing a Captain Ahab. The rest of it, for the most part, was fairly decent aside from Brie Larson being a cunt (I just rewatched it the other night, and it is amazing how cardboard and aloof she is in most of that movie too.) The "connective tissue" in Godzilla was just bad aside from Charles Dance. When the only character you really want to live is a nameless grunt or two, I feel like they fucked up somewhere.

I'm making it sound like I hated it, which I didn't, but it wasn't anywhere as good as I let myself hype up to. My theater clapped at the end though, so maybe it was just me. I'd give it a 6/10, because the fight scenes were definitely awesome. But if you took all the fights out of it and just watched the SHD, it would be like a 2. It was still much better than the last Godzilla though. I wish I had rewatched that one too, maybe this one would have looked even better in comparison.

Oh, one side note. Kong had better get a LOT fucking bigger and damage (and fire!) resistant if he's gonna compete with Godzilla. In Kong they did say that he's still growing, and it was 50 years ago movie time, so anything can happen, but Godzilla would have wrecked that Kong. Sure, Kong is probably a better fighter, and if he were savvy he might do stuff like go for the eyes (Boo!), but if he's going to be one of the "alphas" he needs to go through an intense Rocky-style training montage first AND learn to shrug off nuclear breath and shit. I feel like one random breath would ignite all that gorilla hair instantly, and even if all it did was piss Kong off, 3rd degree burns over his entire body can't help much. Godzilla and King Gidorah would have used 1970s Kong to wipe their ass. Who knows though, maybe they'll team up right from the start instead of fighting first. Ha, right, we all know they will fight first.

oof the human drama bullshit is what I was most afraid of, was going to see this next week but now i'm on the fence, I hate that dumb shit in these type of movies

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

• 8Worf
  • 1Great Review
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Saw it in IMAX this afternoon. "the story was retarded, but I really just wanted to see giant monsters fight" was the consensus. The Kaiju scenes were awesome. Some really epic shots of Ghidorah. Turn your brain off and you'll enjoy it

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
No matter how dumb and boring this flick was, I found it fitting that a Japanese dude would kamikaze for godzilla

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
Really fun ride. I get some if the complaints regarding the human elements. It wasn't too bad. My 6 year old and 9 year old left saying it was the most epic movie ever. The final battle was pretty awesome

• 1Like