Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
A little slow in 2 spots but this Godzilla movie completely delivered on the brawling and destruction. See it in IMAX if you can, it looked amazing on the giant screen and the entire theater was shaking half the time
Got tickets for Tuesday since that Aladdin faggotry is taking up all the Dolby slots. Wife is crazy for this stuff.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Saw it today; loved it. They kicked up the comedy and cheesiness to appropriate levels, and had monsters blowing shit up quite a bit.

8.5/10; it felt a bit long due to some of the scenes just being needlessly long (human stuff; monster stuff could have been longer like always) but I was thoroughly entertained. Great change from the last one where it was a lot of related human stuff and drama for the first hour; this one has monsters from pretty early on intermixed with some borderline slapstick stuff. Lots of callbacks, too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every Godzilla since the early days always had shitty human drama parts, so I'm not surprised. But you need that because shitty human drama doesn't drain your budget as much lol

Also provides the same foundation for the Transformers movies. The new Bumblebee movie has the baddest ass Cybertronian war scene in the first few minutes. Give me an entire movie of that please.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Saw it last night. I completely agree with the 7/10 rating that the large majority seem to share on this one. The story is decent but nothing to write home about and there are a handful of cringe-worthy dialogue moments. All of that made up for though by all of the destruction and carnage laid out by the monsters (seeya Boston). All of the monsters, especially Monster Zero, were pretty well reincarnated, IMO, as was GZ.

It will be interesting to see what they do with GZ vs KK. Not only does the ape wonder need to grow but he's going to need to develop some super powers if he's gonna hang with the lizard.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
Saw it last night. I completely agree with the 7/10 rating that the large majority seem to share on this one. The story is decent but nothing to write home about and there are a handful of cringe-worthy dialogue moments. All of that made up for though by all of the destruction and carnage laid out by the monsters (seeya Boston). All of the monsters, especially Monster Zero, were pretty well reincarnated, IMO, as was GZ.

It will be interesting to see what they do with GZ vs KK. Not only does the ape wonder need to grow but he's going to need to develop some super powers if he's gonna hang with the lizard.

Incoming lightning Kong powers.....

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

KK is pretty fucking weak in the Kong Skull Island. He was getting raped by gizzards from the ground and he was bleeding from puny human bullet and fire. I don't think Kong is even close to an even footing with GZ.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
KK is pretty fucking weak in the Kong Skull Island. He was getting raped by gizzards from the ground and he was bleeding from puny human bullet and fire. I don't think Kong is even close to an even footing with GZ.

I agree, but keep in mind in Kong : Skull Island they established that he's still quite young and growing, and it took place about 50 years before Godzilla 2.

I expect we'll see a much larger Kong in the upcoming movie.

• 1Solidarity

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Saw it with 5 friends and we all thought it was an awful piece of shit. 40-50 minutes too long with some of the worst writing and cringey dialogue I can remember seeing. Plot holes that made absolutely no sense ("Hey, you know that machine that is the key to all our plans...should we maybe post a guard around it or something?"; "Nah. What's gonna happen? A 13 year old girl gonna steal it ROFLMAO!"). Too many boring cuts to shitty human drama that none of us cared about. If you had asked me to spend 20 bucks to watch 20 minutes of Godzilla smashing the fuck out of a few cities and some other monsters I'd prefer that in a heartbeat.

Yuck.

Actually, I'd rather give someone 20 bucks to play a remastered version of this game for 20 minutes.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
wow I had not thought of that c64 movie monster game in years! One of my favorites from that era, and yes its on topic:

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
awesome monsters
retarded humans

if you wanna see it in IMAX/Dolby/etc better get your ass to theaters, X-Men: Dark Sansa takes over starting thursday evening.

Kong should be interesting, I just don't see how he competes with Godzilla and pals unless he gets like a Iron Man suit or something

• 1Worf

Qhue

Trump's Staff
wow I had not thought of that c64 movie monster game in years! One of my favorites from that era, and yes its on topic:

View attachment 210103

Loved that game. Love, love, loved it! Was surprisingly strategic and from the era when Electronic Arts was the highest quality and most original.

Surprised no one has remastered or remade it

The box office on King of Monsters was pretty poor, especially compared to Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island. Most of the box office came from China, comparatively very little from the U.S. and Japan's take was mediocre.

Last edited:

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Loved that game. Love, love, loved it! Was surprisingly strategic and from the era when Electronic Arts was the highest quality and most original.

Surprised no one has remastered or remade it

The box office on King of Monsters was pretty poor, especially compared to Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island. Most of the box office came from China, comparatively very little from the U.S. and Japan's take was mediocre.

What was your favorite monster? Mine was the WORM (yes you could be a worm) or the Pteranadon (came with claws).

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this today, not gonna lie I was kinda disappointed. All the humans should of just fell over and died as quickly as possible , I did not care about any of them and rolled my eyes when they cut over to them yet again.

Also

I was expecting way more monster on monster action all over the globe that culminated into a giant royal rumble involving a dozen +. Instead it was just Godzilla Vs Gidora with a little bit of mothra/rodan tag team action. And I take it Mothra got vaporized and its "magic dust???" helped revitalize Godzilla too?

Hosix

All labs matter!
Saw this today.

6.5 out of 10.

Nuclear Godzilla was awesome.

Human element was horrible. I would rather of Godzilla’s AoE kill them too.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Kong will have his brain and his super agility monkey style kungfu in his corner at the very least. Should be a good flick with him and GZ fighting mecha ghidorah.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Eh, the human element was passable--more entertaining than the human parts of the first movie, at least. And just like the first movie, any time the monsters were on screen was fucking awesome. Add to that the fact that they managed a much better ratio of monster-to-human than the first film, and you've got yourself a damn good Godzilla movie. Also loved hearing the remixes of Godzilla and Mothra's themes.

Now for the true test of this western Godzilla franchise: Jet Jaguar. Do it, you cowards.

• 2Like