google fiber

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I bet this happens in more cities that haven't started their build-out yet. Google is either currently, or real close to testing a gigabit wireless technology. I bet they'd rather set up new cities with that, than having to bury wire everywhere if they haven't started that yet.

Laying physical fiber lines is SLOW. They're STILL burying lines in KC, and have been for 4+ years now and they still haven't reached everyone yet.

I can't imagine how long it would take in even larger cities.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Rumors are Google is looking to change to wireless internet - Fiber is proving to be prohibitively expensive

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Best thing about Fiber is the fact it is basically weather / nature proof. No metal conductors to get fried in electrical storms, drown in floods, rouge EMP from NKorea, etc. It's god damn rock solid and incredibly fast. Wireless is always going to be prone to everything under (and including) the sun that effects RF communications. Fuck, I live in the middle east and we have 1Gb fiber here. Why can't the USA get its shit together!?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Best thing about Fiber is the fact it is basically weather / nature proof. No metal conductors to get fried in electrical storms, drown in floods, rouge EMP from NKorea, etc. It's god damn rock solid and incredibly fast. Wireless is always going to be prone to everything under (and including) the sun that effects RF communications. Fuck, I live in the middle east and we have 1Gb fiber here. Why can't the USA get its shit together!?
I'm just glad my Comcast bill was $240 this month

For internet, phone, and a single HD DVR box.

Two hundred, forty fucking dollars.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fuck, I live in the middle east and we have 1Gb fiber here. Why can't the USA get its shit together!?

The US is just really fucking big and sparsely populated outside of certain areas. Places that got internet/phones later actually had the advantage because they probably laid fiber the first time around instead of copper wires that are now nearly obsolete. Add to that the fact that we gave companies regional monopolies so there is no competition and there isn't a lot of motivation to put in billions of dollars worth of fiber when you can just keep forcing your customers to pay to use the old shitty coax that's already in the ground. I've heard that laying fiber in metropolitan areas can cost as much as $500 a foot.

I hope the wireless thing works but it does seem like anything that's wireless just doesn't work half the time for unknown magical reasons.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I am closing on a house next Monday that has the option of three different fiber providers. Google Fiber, ATT GigaPower, and Consolidated Communications.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If I'm really lucky the bill might even go up. You know I gotta be on the triple play for this sweet deal man

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This server is in some backwater town that is on the google fiber path to Raleigh is why the price is low but the speed is high.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users