google fiber

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had to come to BFE Mississippi to have acess to fiber. Parents live outside a town of 8k people and they can get it. They don't because they have no use for it, they just get 50mb cable. I think the fiber is $90/month or something. In rural areas the desnity of people is real low, but the density of buillshit to dig up to get it down is real low compared to urban areas.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
They strung up fiber in my neighborhood (it's the sticks, everything is on poles.) , it took Henkels & McCoy 45+ days to put up a 1/4 mi. x 1/4 mi grid. And another 3 weeks to find all the fucks up and re splice it. The local telco throttles the shit out of it and home bases are super old Oracle gear that need a reset every few weeks. My commercial DSL was better.

Fiber only matters if the lowest bidder didn't get the job.

Last edited:

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I dont know that I've mentioned on this new site exactly how great Google Fiber is...

5568161698.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I dont know that I've mentioned on this new site exactly how great Google Fiber is...

View attachment 2438
Aside from obligatory "Fuck you!", I want to know why it only gets 4.5 stars on Speedtest. As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong) that rating has nothing to do with customer service or anything like that, just speed/ping/etc. What would it possibly fucking take to get 5 stars if Google Fiber is only 4.5?? Is there really some dude sitting there thinking, this is great and all, but could be better?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Time Warner and Comcast employees tanking their rating?

edit - Actually, I do know what it is.

It's idiots that only use Google Fiber through the wifi on their 10 year old Linksys router that is down in their basement and then bitch about how it isn't any faster than their old service.

My brother in law fits that bill. I talked him in to signing up for Google Fiber, and his neighborhood actually got it about 6 months before I did. He calls me the day after the install and says "I might switch back to Time Warner, this thing isn't any faster at all"

I go down to his house and he's running an old router that as far as I can tell only connects at "b" speeds, not even "n" (much less AC)

Told him to buy a new router and he's happy now.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
i dont think a lot of people know that the router is a big part of your internet speed.

Ladro

Anomaly
Modem is too for systems that use channel bonding like Comcast. I had their shitty ass rent-a-modem and was getting subpar speeds until I went and got my own modem. Almost tripled what I was getting with the upside of not paying them every month for one anymore.

Super sad Google Fiber isn't coming here, was really looking forward to ditching Comcast. Plus that upload speed, Jesus.