Google Glass

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've got a buddy that wants one real bad, but it isn't actually for me so if someone else who is a regular here on the forums would want it instead then by all means give it to them. But if all else fails and he doesn't know anyone that wants to purchase one, let me know, my friend/co-worker definitely would. I also know he can probably sell his invite for a nice amount of money, so can't blame him if he goes that route too rather than just giving an invite to a stranger.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You guys both will pay for the glass itself right?

If so just email me your full name and your gmail address and I will pass it on for him to send the invites out to all three of us.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any plans for sunglasses versions of google glass? Could better hide the camera that way I would think, make it less conspicuous that you're wearing anything other than regular sunglasses.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Any plans for sunglasses versions of google glass? Could better hide the camera that way I would think, make it less conspicuous that you're wearing anything other than regular sunglasses.
They call the sunglasses "incognito mode".

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Buddy of mine got a Glass to brainstorm app development with for work and so we were just trying it out. It clearly is not yet ready for consumer use if for no other reason than it is at least an order of magnitude too slow / lacking in positional fidelity to be the sort of seamless device that everyone would Need/Want.

Taking a picture with it was at best "meh". Yeah it is hands free if you are willing to up-nod your head to turn it on and vocalize for it to take a pic, but otherwise just grab your phone. Motion tracking was fairly terrible and no where near the fidelity of, say, an Occulus Rift...but that makes sense given the form factor of the thing. The directions and HUD/compass are cool, but it was easy to confuse the compass just by moving your head in a normal way. I suspect that if you are actually walking and not just standing still it would compensate for it a bit, but in order for it to be a killer device it needs to be completely aware of its position and orientation at all times.

The true "woah" moment was when using the translate function whereby it superimposed the translation on top of the original language / approximate font in such a way that it looked as if the sign simply changed into the correct language. Still a bit clunky since you have to keep your head still and really focus on the text to be translated, but the future potential for that in a multilingual society is pure gold.

More than anything else I felt like I was using an Apple Newton. A device with the basic functionality of something that would become well nigh indispensable in a few generations, but lacking in the speed and functionality necessary to catch on in a big way.

Vinen

God is dead
They are not worth it. The coolness factor is going away now that a second and third wave of invites have occurred.

kd5ddo_sl

shitlord
Google glass I feel is the start of where we are going as a wireless society, however the question remains how will this change over the coming years. Less obvious? Less obtrusive?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, eventually we'll all walk around in the augmented reality of our choice. People will probably throw graphics up around themselves that you can allow yourself to see or not. Some people will go for overt tech like those that put chains through their piercings and spikes in their head. Most will go for covert, but hopefully your device will be able to see what people are equipped with. We need a much better input mechanism than touch, voice, or eye movements though. Subvocalization seems like a good goal to shoot for, but sensors may require surgery.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Honestly. A guy wears a bleeding-edge camera attached to his face into a movie theater, watching something that has federal warnings plastered all over it, and he's surprised he got harassed? Get the fuck outta here.