GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I guess it's a little autistic but the tactics of the opening 15 minutes were "wait, what?".

Cavalry up front, then war engines... then, your infantry? Infantry up front, war engines behind them, cavalry on the flanks. You harry the rear or the flanks of the enemy with your cavalry. Their advantage is mobility. It doesn't make any sense to charge straight into a solid mass, you lose your advantage. You've got Jaime there who has been been shown commanding battles and you assume is versed in large formations of troops. You've got tyrion there. You've got Jorah there. Even Jon should have realized that was a silly initial formation. You've got a lot of people there that should have gone "wait a second, sure we're all going to die, but this is kind of a stupid way to do it".

And why are you shooting flaming catapult bombs AS your calvary is charging? If the enemy is just going to stand there... why not just lob bombs at them until they realize they need to move? Are you just HOPING to kill your own dudes?

That was the primary problem for me. Hardhome and the Castle Black versions of this actually had a sensible set of starting conditions.

The visual of the dothraki swords going out was neat enough, but it's not worth sabotaging the competence of your story just for that. They could have done a variant of that scene in the middle instead of in the beginning and it may have been even more impactful.

I know it's fantasy and all. But c'mon now. No one ever arrayed armies like that. Not even the british, who were famous for the simple solution of throwing more bodies at the problem.
it ultimately made no difference because World War Z ice zombies washed over everything like a tsunami. whether they had been dumfucks or smartfucks and waited for visual sighting before lobbing fire bombs. the zerg army was unstoppable. even if they did everything right and had the best luck completely beyond any realm of belief. even if jon and dany annihilated each wave with dragonfire. NK still had Mass Undead Rez in his spellbook and he has a 500+ fire protective Ice cuirass so he could do that shit all day. it was completely ridiculous and everyone should have been doomed.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, the army formation was definitely silly, but this allowed for some interesting visuals. it also allowed for dany to get all emotional that she lost ALL of her dothraki and screw the plan up.

they didn't really show this, but they definitely implied it at the end, there WAS no rear for the cavalry to harry. it was a literal ocean of dead washing over them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
In the crypts was that wights breaking through the door, or Stark wights breaking out their graves?

It was the Starks breaking out of their graves in the crypts after the Night King did his flex rez. A pal of mine says Lyanna Stark was one of them but I can't be assed to go research it. It would've been pretty awesome if they did a Ned Stark cameo for this.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
There’s a real subtle hint that Arya is about to sneak up on NK , brans eyes which were on nK look down briefly as if seeing something else before looking back up at nK. It almost seems like the nK even picked up on this and that’s why he was able to turn around.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well yeah, that and one of the walkers turns his head slightly, like, he thinks he hears something behind him

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Her killing him was maddening for one major reason...

Her stealth was so amazing that NOTHING was hearing her, but in the final attack...she yells?

Bitch you crazy? Stab the dude, no need to make noises. Shit you coulda done it when Theon was about to get railed.

He's running at him, yelling and then he ...stabs the night king? but why wasn't the night king even moving..

Then as the night king crumbles, Arya is seen behind him holding the dagger in his back.

No kidding. I said the same thing after, wtf did she yell? She's the ultimate rogue, why charge at him like a berserker? Arya killing him was kind of cool, as far as seeing fan fiction come to life goes, but they could have made the kill SOOO much better and more satisfying. They completely telegraphed it too with Melisandre's revelation that Arya is her new Azhor Asai (after Stannis failed, after Jon fell out of her favor). My idea had always been that she wears a mask of one of his captains somehow and uses that to get close enough. This was just dumb the way they did it. All the more annoying with the only good guy that sees it happen being Brauntistic.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I'll miss the little one. She was supercute in her tiny leather armor.

Tyrion having a breastplate made me think "when did gendry have time to do that? Or has he been carrying that around since season 1?" Maybe he left it at winterfell and found it. He had one in season1 too I think. But not since then.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That was an INCREDIBLY badass episode. With the cello music playing, I swore it was the end of all things good. Way to go faceless girl!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is spot on. Dude has Gilly and Little Sam now, and he's basically back to taking a beating with training swords.

I would add explaining WTF the Night King and Bran is really all about. I'm not sure there's anyway to pull off the necessary exposition.

Did Arya screw up something that was supposed to happen? I am annoyed that The Red Witch and Arya are basically a deus ex machina at the moment.

All I got is that the Night King was essentially a superweapon created by the Children of the Forest to kill off the First Men. It got out of hand but Brann is the only remaining practitioner of the magic that created him. Also the keeper of all the long forgotten lore via TreeNet. Not that that fucking mattered really but I can understand that this was the reason the NK was drawn to Brann specifically. Even if it didn't do shit else.

Brann being able to create wards against the undead might have been helpful though ya heard?

What that doesn't explain is the NK's consciousness. Clearly it was sentient. The NK had thoughts and strategies, waited thousands of years before attacking after the first Long Night. I can even accept that The NK just hates all warmth and the living and that it had to wait for the next Long Night to fight again/build up its wights and numbers for millennia. But is that all it thought about? Why did it wait and give a dramatic pause before it was going to kill Brann? IDK just a lot of unresolved shit about the WW. I guess I'm okay with that though.

Also yeah so dark I had to change the setting on my other monitor to darkmode so I could see shit lol.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Hbo pussied out so hard we should have at least three or four more major deaths. Jamie was a no brainer, dani or jon, and brienna or redbeard. Prolly even gray worm and sansa too. And tyrion. Just pussy shit.
I wonder if Jamie staying alive means that he'll be the one to ultimately kill Cersei?

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Completely ruining GRRM storyline... it was never about a final battle for the iron throne, which is what the series will come down to.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if Jamie staying alive means that he'll be the one to ultimately kill Cersei?

Jaime is going to kill Cersei before she can wildfire King's Landing just like he did to the Mad King.

• 1Dislike

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Completely ruining GRRM storyline... it was never about a final battle for the iron throne, which is what the series will come down to.

Actually he has said, in many interviews, that he was less interested in the fantasy aspects and more about the political realities of fantasy. His main criticism of Lord of the Rings is that it ends and assumes that everyone loves Aragorn forever by virtue of him defeating Sauron, but what about his tax policy? What did he do about the remaining orcs? Genocide or something else?

In that sense it may well be that GRRM had a big goal of setting up the Night King and all this just to explore the aftermath.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
We'll have to wait for it to come out on 4k Blu-Ray.

It is noticeably better if you stream it if your cable company (in my case Verizon FiOS) compresses the fuck out of the HD channels. I'm kinda shocked HBO is cool with them doing that being as it makes their nominally premium content look bad.