GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
i was referring to the revolution it caused. before Win 3.1, DOS literally scared people from even looking at a computer, when 3.1 hit it put computers in everyone's homes. it was a giant leap. in the space of a few years. making my phone fold isnt going to change anything. smartwatches, remember those? how about 3d televisions? anyone use those things anymore?

Do you realize that you're arguing your subjective view on the usefulness of a technology in a debate about the advancement of technology, not the usefulness of it?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
i was referring to the revolution it caused. before Win 3.1, DOS would literally scared people from even looking at a computer, when 3.1 put computers in everyone's homes. it was a giant leap. in the space of a few years. making my phone fold isnt going to change anything. smartwatches, rememeber those? how about 3d televisions? anyone use those things anymore?

It's ironic you brought up folding screens and watches, because folding screens will probably eventually make smart watches viable, depending on what level it expands to. (Imagine a watch able to fold a screen like this. So with a button press the screen becomes as large as your hand and with another, folds back into a watch.)

The point being though, as you just admitted...Windows didn't actually change the underlying use. Windows just made it more efficient and accessible. Which are two things you said didn't count as "new". Now you're shifting goal posts to try and say it has to meet some criteria of higher efficiency or accessibility which results in some vague broader usage. (Which is weird you pointed out Cassette radios as not counting, as those greatly expanded the market of personal music listeners. I know you're old than me, so you MUST remember a time before everyone had a Walkman, right? Or a time before everyone had a GOOD stereo system right? You might have had a cheap record player but typically the only good STEREO system in the house was a big ass one your parents had. Cassette radios changed all that, all the sudden kids had boom boxes and most people had a walkman.)

You're just being cynical, Chuk. What you're trying to say is "nothing wows me anymore". I hate to tell you this bud, but that's more a product of getting old than lack of advancement. As your brain has more data to draw from, you begin seeing patterns in more things and realizing what is new is often just an improvement on what was old and less useful before.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's ironic you brought up folding screens and watches, because folding screens will probably eventually make smart watches viable, depending on what level it expands to. (Imagine a watch able to fold a screen like this.)

The point being though, as you just admitted...Windows didn't actually change the underlying system. Made it more efficient and accessible. Which are two things you said didn't count as "new". Now you're shifting goal posts to try and say it has to meet some criteria of higher efficiency or accessibility which results in some vague broader usage. (Which is weird you pointed out Cassette radios as not counting, as those greatly expanded the market of personal music listeners. I know you're old than me, so you MUST remember a time before everyone had a Walkman, right? Or a time before everyone had a GOOD stereo system right? You might have had a cheapie record player but typically the only good STEREO system in the house was a big ass one your parents had. Cassette radios changed all that, all the sudden kids had boom boxes and most people had a walkman.)

You're just being cynical, Chuk. What you're trying to say is "nothing wows me anymore". I hate to tell you this bud, but that's more a product of getting old than lack of advancement. As your brain has more data to draw from, you begin seeing patterns in more things and realizing what is new is often just an improvement on what was old and less useful before.
it changed the world, the system didnt matter. it caused a tonal shift in society. it has nothing to do with me being jaded about repackaged tech with more bells and whistles included to fool you into thinking you're getting something new. the trends we had in the last ten years were more or less fads. they came and they went. i'm waiting for something new to grab me by the booboo.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll tell you what we didn't have 10 years ago. The Soviets influencing elections from the safety of their own offices in Moscow with no risk at all to their personnel.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So, I was wondering. Dany has no heirs and is barren. But, she considered the dragons her children, soooo, if she takes the throne and then Jon kills her and then takes the black, does that make Drogon the new rightful ruler of the Seven Kingdoms?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So, I was wondering. Dany has no heirs and is barren. But, she considered the dragons her children, soooo, if she takes the throne and then Jon kills her and then takes the black, does that make Drogon the new rightful ruler of the Seven Kingdoms?

He'd be a bastard, so no throne for him.

Drogon Fire? Drogon Flame? Drogon Doom? What would the dragon bastard nomenclature be?

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If my TV wasn't 10 years old I may have been able to see what the fuck was happening in episode 3.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Cloud has... a lot of limitations. The primary one isn't storage (that's the expensive datacenter shit) it's actually the networking. If you are using distributed systems (as most SAAS companies are) that means you have a shitload of communication that is just organization of the 0s and 1s, not even the data your customers/company are actually working with. Getting that shit talking to each other reliably in the cloud is -not- cheap.

Not a majestic amount of hope for the last episode, but I actually relatively enjoyed the most recent, as it was reminiscent of shit like the storming of Normandy's beaches on D day in Saving Private Ryan. Just some super horrific/semi-realistic visuals of shit. Getting. Fucked.

I'm now just curious if the spoilers are dead on or were from a previous script that wasn't finalized before the leaker went all Assange.

Originally, they were from set leaks.

All leaks come directly from the sets where the scenes were shot. There was a network of production assistants and aides communicating as the season was filmed, helping each other fill in the blanks from other locations when necessary.

Hence why the leaks are over 8 months to 10 months old at this point.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He'd be a bastard, so no throne for him.

Drogon Fire? Drogon Flame? Drogon Doom? What would the dragon bastard nomenclature be?

I'm pretty sure with the Night King gone, the wall gone, the night's watch gone and their castles razed, there's no more "taking the black".

Cybsled

Well, you have to figure in about a generation or two, the Wildlings/Westeros relationship will probably reset again. So the Night's Watch will probably go back to doing that.

Either that or Bran will be like "Evil will return...IN THE FUTURE!!!" and the Night's Watch will be needed to guard against Night King 2.0 or whatever.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
this tech derail is just so very sad

nlGxl17.png

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is one of the coolest inventions I’ve seen in last few years. A coworker bought one of the little demo knobs for work, it completely baffles people because they don’t work like we know how magnets work. The applications for this could be huge.

I’m not looking forward to Sunday. I would be so happy if HBO redid this travesty but I know it’s not feasible.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Now MRI and Scans are so advanced they dont even need to bother with biopsies anymore, which isnt a breakthrough perse, but still hugely important and impactful from a technology standpoint.

That's completely wrong. Biopsies are still performed all day long for all kinds of reasons. Biopsies get tissue which allows for histopathological exam (ie, looking at the actual cells) so they can identify numerous disease processes. Imaging is used to help perform the biopsies, for example CT guided biopsies, or ultrasound guided biopsies, etc. In fact, the better argument is that imaging has evolved to allow doctors to cause less harm while getting biopsies, and get new types of biopes to help treat disease. A great example is the endobronchial ultrasound which allows you to look at the lymph nodes in the lungs, *biopsy* them, and better stage lung cancer and help plan for possible surgery. Another example is a CT guided biopsy, for example if you are concerned for osteomyelitis of one of the lumbar vertebra, the doctor can use a CT machine to go in and *biopsy* the vertebra, in the old days it would have been a much more difficult and invasive procedure. Another reason biopsies are performed are for difficult to diagnose skin conditions, and examining lymph nodes to see if they have cancer in them. All of which MRI is incapable of doing.

I'm not saying medical imaging isn't amazing, it is, and it is improving. Just saying the idea that they are magically replacing biopsies is wrong. The fact is medical imaging is helping us get better biopsies. ... and now I want to go be an interventional radiologist.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
self driving cars have been around a LONG time
ditto facial recognition
bio printing has been around since 2003
ten years ago you could say the same thing in regards to smartphones. i dunno why you wont accept that we are just improving on stuff developed long ago. nothing new to change the world. we're just getting better at it.

Totally agree. I don't get the argument they are trying to make. They originally stated if someone was asleep for 10 years they would just be completely overwhelmed and so confused and amazed at the last 10 years of innovation. "HOLY FUCK I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, IPHONE IS NOW 1000 MEGAPIXELS AND HAS 4X THE STORAGE!" (I know wrong numbers.) Or "Someone made a phone that can bend? and no one can afford it?"

I think the bigger shock would be that you can no longer write online what you're actually thinking about something unless you want it to be on national news because "you're a racist" for everything :)

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That's completely wrong. Biopsies are still performed all day long for all kinds of reasons. Biopsies get tissue which allows for histopathological exam (ie, looking at the actual cells) so they can identify numerous disease processes. Imaging is used to help perform the biopsies, for example CT guided biopsies, or ultrasound guided biopsies, etc. In fact, the better argument is that imaging has evolved to allow doctors to cause less harm while getting biopsies, and get new types of biopes to help treat disease. A great example is the endobronchial ultrasound which allows you to look at the lymph nodes in the lungs, *biopsy* them, and better stage lung cancer and help plan for possible surgery. Another example is a CT guided biopsy, for example if you are concerned for osteomyelitis of one of the lumbar vertebra, the doctor can use a CT machine to go in and *biopsy* the vertebra, in the old days it would have been a much more difficult and invasive procedure. Another reason biopsies are performed are for difficult to diagnose skin conditions, and examining lymph nodes to see if they have cancer in them. All of which MRI is incapable of doing.

I'm not saying medical imaging isn't amazing, it is, and it is improving. Just saying the idea that they are magically replacing biopsies is wrong. The fact is medical imaging is helping us get better biopsies. ... and now I want to go be an interventional radiologist.

You fucked up your reply. I didn't write that.