GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

xzi

Mouthbreather
He's also a worldclass strongman. Dude is a monster.

Also that episode was fucked up
that fucked me up

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Last night was the best episode in the entire series, maybe one of the best episodes of any series. I watched Ned loose his head not knowing it was going to happen. The Red Wedding was a considerably more brutal scene than that which I knew was coming (had read the books by then). Even knowing how that fight was going to end didn't take the edge off it for me though. It was a punch in the gut that hurt even though I was braced for it. That's good TV folks.

And it was only the best in a series of great moments on the night. Sansa's interrogation, Jaime and Tyrion, Dany and Jorah, Roose and Ramsay, Arya's laughter. Damn what a show.

Another way of looking at Tyrion's beetle story was that is was a forshadowing of his own future, with the Mountain playing the part of brain damaged idiot and Oberyn as a beetle.

Lady Arryn's death pretty much establishes that the Hound picking you to deliver Arya to is a death sentence, hence her laughter.

As for the Jorah vs Barristan as advisors debate, direct experience as a ruler in some capacity doesn't necessarily trump spending decades in close proximity to those who rule (ie. at court). She obviously would have been better served retaining Ser Jorah, for the benefit of having someone who's views were often at odds with Ser Barristan's, going the team of rivals approach that Lincoln used.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I knew Oberyn was dead because that prick GRRM would have to have a way to make my favorite character die again to piss me the fuck off yet I still held hope up until Oberyn lost his teeth. How anyone was surprised is shocking to me, in any other show you could have gone into watching last nights episode knowing Oberyn was fine because they couldn't kill off such an awesome character like Tyrion but not with this fucking show, I'd be willing to bet that fat fucker fist pumped the air when he wrote that shit thinking "2 birds with 1 stone!".

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You know that losing Jorah is bad for Dany simply because Tywin orchestrated his removal from her side and pretty much every strategical move that guy makes is money. Well, up until he either shares a glass or wine with Oberyn and/or underestimates Varys and/or Tyrion.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Can someone clarify a few things? In the book, it's revealed that Selmy and Mormont both worked for members of King's Landing. On the show, who does Daenerys think Selmy is? Also, who sent the pardon and how did Selmy receive it?

Urgoslav

Treasured Member
I'd be willing to bet that fat fucker fist pumped the air when he wrote that shit thinking "2 birds with 1 stone!".
The thought that somewhere, years ago, there was a fist-pumping George RR Martin:

juuGl6Y.gif

Jait

Molten Core Raider
As for the Jorah vs Barristan as advisors debate, direct experience as a ruler in some capacity doesn't necessarily trump spending decades in close proximity to those who rule (ie. at court). She obviously would have been better served retaining Ser Jorah, for the benefit of having someone who's views were often at odds with Ser Barristan's, going the team of rivals approach that Lincoln used.
Not sure if that's really the argument, or at least it isn't for me. Jorah was who she genuinely listened to, and even loved. He was the one that was there from the very beginning when she was getting buttraped as a fish out of water child. He's also exceedingly more practical and blunt than any of the other advisors. And from a story standpoint everything starts going south for her from here on out. Had Jorah been there she likely wouldn't have made many of the decisions that she did. I'm also fairly sure in one of her later chapters she sadly muses on what his advice would have been.

Barristan is a badass and a great advisor. But she loses a LOT with Jorah's absence, I think that's the point that really cant be well argued against.

Can someone clarify a few things? In the book, it's revealed that Selmy and Mormont both worked for members of King's Landing. On the show, who does Daenerys think Selmy is? Also, who sent the pardon and how did Selmy receive it?
Tywin or Cersei sent it. It was discussed a few weeks ago in the episode. Selmy's history is backed by Jorah, who knows exactly who he is (same as in the books I think).

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Tywin sent the letter. They were discussing her and how she had Jorah and Selmy as advisers in the small council scene where he sent Mace Tyrell to go fetch his papers.

And Dany knows who he is on the show because Jorah knows him. They skipped the whole part where he pretended to be someone else.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am worried the overall story is going to start taking a nose dive. We will still get awesome scenes but where is this even headed? I want White Walkers zombifying the country side, Dragons rampaging, and awesome characters doing something other than dying. It feels like all this investment is never going to amount to anything.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dany think's Barristan is Strong Belwas' squire (whitebeard) for a long ass time. I don't remember him working with anyone from Kings landing though.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What does it matter if she loses Jorah, when she will get Tyrion later?

(I think, can't remember if Jorah gets Tyrion to her or not?)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yes I believe she does. She absolutely did in the books.

I like Barristan and while he is brave in battle he is basically a yes man and kind of a coward when it comes to the tough moral decisions.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
What does it matter if she loses Jorah, when she will get Tyrion later?

(I think, can't remember if Jorah gets Tyrion to her or not?)
They're right outside Mereen iirc. WoW has the battle of slaver's bay in it...either during, or aftermath, is when it's assumed they'll meet...though she did save Tyrion's life unknowingly when they reopened the gladiator pits.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
She knows exactly who Barristan is in the show.

By the time Tyrion shows up, Meereen is a pretty big clusterfuck.
Jorah is a seasoned warrior with battle command experience, he has Lordship experience and has been a no bullshit and practical adviser to Dany for years. Nobody is irreplaceable, but he was a genuine asset. There's a reason why Tywin took him away from her.

Something that is never mentioned is how he seemingly knows several foreign languages and the culture of everywhere. To top it off, he's like a mini-Varys: Dany always ask him to find out about some random fucking things and he's always right on the ball with all the information within 24hours. Dude has been pretty good at providing intel.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He is dismissed by Joffrey on the show. Does Daenerys know he was a member of the Kingsguard on the show?
In the book she finds out about both of their deceits at the same time, that Whitebeard is actually Barristan, and that Jorah has been spying. She sends them both on the almost-suicide mission of taking Mereen through the sewers, and when they both come back she banishes Jorah and forgives Barristan. I assume they revealed who he was in the show so quickly because viewers would have recognized him and made the connection way ahead of time, so they just simplified things. Barristan was never a spy like Jorah.