Gravy's Cooking Thread

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didnt fry, but now we are looking at trying sesame chicken etc.

Can someone relink me that oil storage/strainer device, forget which thread it was buried in. Figure we will do them in a wok, but debating tiny batches so I can use a tiny pan to get depth with less oil and use less overall, maybe contain splatter cooking better.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Can someone relink me that oil storage/strainer device, forget which thread it was buried in. Figure we will do them in a wok, but debating tiny batches so I can use a tiny pan to get depth with less oil and use less overall, maybe contain splatter cooking better.
you asking about the tfal?
T-Fal Ultimate EZ Clean Stainless Steel Deep Fryer with Basket 3.5 Liter Oil and 2.6 Pound Food Capacity 1700 Watts Easy Clean, Temp Control, Digital Timer, Oil Filtration, Dishwasher Safe Parts
3b1d2daf8005fbb4f4e06e379a8f2750.png

Sludig

No, it was like a pot that I thought filtered the oil and you used to store the oil fairly sealed so it didnt get too much oxygen or anything. Since it would be like a fry anything like maybe 1x/month. Don't want to use half a jug or more then it just get nasty after 1 use.

Also your link turns into some odd scammy looking thing. Seems nice, but i dont need another large kitchen appliance as well

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, it was like a pot that I thought filtered the oil and you used to store the oil fairly sealed so it didnt get too much oxygen or anything. Since it would be like a fry anything like maybe 1x/month. Don't want to use half a jug or more then it just get nasty after 1 use.

Also your link turns into some odd scammy looking thing. Seems nice, but i dont need another large kitchen appliance as well
oh oops i was posting in the ps5 thread at the same time

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i just did general tsao in a wok, youre not gonna get away w/ less oil, you need a lot of oil (thermal mass) to make up for the thin wok, and i was on my induction wok, so it wasn't low power.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Have not tried this one yet. How is the heat compared to the 2x spicy?
Not quite as hot. That 2x spicy rips. Flavor is good though

This has a different prep also. Instead of draining and retaining water to sturdy in the sauce, this one just drains and adds sauce and serves.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not quite as hot. That 2x spicy rips. Flavor is good though

This has a different prep also. Instead of draining and retaining water to sturdy in the sauce, this one just drains and adds sauce and serves.
Thanks for the info. Just ordered a 5 pack from amazon. Will give it a go. When I go in to the office I usually have a buldak for lunch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

All that drama with air fryers and now I ended up with this. I'm going to be fat. Mainly got it for trying to do sesame chicken and shit.

1696254636799.png

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Deep fryers are a mistake unless you're a restaurant.

Either you waste a shit load of oil or you fry in nasty, old, weird tasting oil. Restaurants can get away with reusing oil cause they are frying constantly. They serve you fries made in yesterdays oil. When you try this trick at home you end up using last months oil instead, which is fucking gross.

No matter which one you pick the whole house smells like oil for days. This is not to even mention the absurd amount of counter real estate they take up.

Just use a minimal amount of oil, just enough to cover the food, in a relatively small diameter and tall pot. Then you can throw that shit away when youre done like a civilized person.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Think this might be an upcoming project prior to the holidays. I usually buy the premade and try to jazz it up, but might be nice to make my own.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Deep fryers are a mistake unless you're a restaurant.

Either you waste a shit load of oil or you fry in nasty, old, weird tasting oil. Restaurants can get away with reusing oil cause they are frying constantly. They serve you fries made in yesterdays oil. When you try this trick at home you end up using last months oil instead, which is fucking gross.

No matter which one you pick the whole house smells like oil for days. This is not to even mention the absurd amount of counter real estate they take up.

Just use a minimal amount of oil, just enough to cover the food, in a relatively small diameter and tall pot. Then you can throw that shit away when youre done like a civilized person.
yea this is true, the last time i deep fried w/ a wok, the air quality in each of my 2nd floor bedrooms was trash for a few hours.

i'll be doing an experiment soon where i deep fry w/ my deep fryer and see how shit the air quality gets in my kitchen/living room
(my kitchen doesn't have an air cleaner, does anyone put one there? but it is adjacent to my living which has a winix)

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
yea this is true, the last time i deep fried w/ a wok, the air quality in each of my 2nd floor bedrooms was trash for a few hours.

i'll be doing an experiment soon where i deep fry w/ my deep fryer and see how shit the air quality gets in my kitchen/living room
(my kitchen doesn't have an air cleaner, does anyone put one there? but it is adjacent to my living which has a winix)
I'm slowly beginning to set up my outdoor kitchen on the lanai for grilling/cooking etc. Soon, the deep fryer will have its spot there so when I want to deep fry I will just carrying it there and use it. I use my Deep fryer on the stove currently and there isnt "much" air quality issues with the hood running directly above it.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
yeah the more I thought about my comment the more I think that the reason restaurants get away with it is the industrial grade ventilation. The vent in my kitchen suuucks, and I've lived in enough different houses to think thats pretty common.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users