Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm slowly beginning to set up my outdoor kitchen on the lanai for grilling/cooking etc. Soon, the deep fryer will have its spot there so when I want to deep fry I will just carrying it there and use it. I use my Deep fryer on the stove currently and there isnt "much" air quality issues with the hood running directly above it.
yea that is a huge factor, my previous house had the shitty microwave recirculating air, but i cut out an acess for a pipe cuz i had attic access, this place i have a microwave again, but the layout is impossible to put a pipe anywhere

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Just picked up a Blackstone Griddle for the outdoor kitchen. I love flattop cooking. It reminds me of my youth and early jobs as a short order cook. Gonna give it a whirl.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just picked up a Blackstone Griddle for the outdoor kitchen. I love flattop cooking. It reminds me of my youth and early jobs as a short order cook. Gonna give it a whirl.
cool
did you get a good griddle scrapper? i remember needing the leverage sometimes
9ef2e080712cdd3f6b5e0898d06f9e3f.png

Cuisinart CCB-500 Griddle Scraper, Six-inch wide stainless steel blade

they say it's stainless so it won't burn/melt if you leave it on the griddle by accident.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Someone gifted me a deep frier. I only ever use it outside on the deck. Don't want the house to smell like it for a week. Even in deepest winter conditions it works great out there. I also strain the oil twice while it is still hot and then once more when it cools. Makes it okay for reuse. I don't use it much, I find other ways. For example, last night I made chickie nugnugs but did it in my cast iron pan with about 1/4 inch of oil. Came out perfect. I don't think deep frying them would have made them better.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Someone gifted me a deep frier. I only ever use it outside on the deck. Don't want the house to smell like it for a week. Even in deepest winter conditions it works great out there. I also strain the oil twice while it is still hot and then once more when it cools. Makes it okay for reuse. I don't use it much, I find other ways. For example, last night I made chickie nugnugs but did it in my cast iron pan with about 1/4 inch of oil. Came out perfect. I don't think deep frying them would have made them better.
yea a month ago i decided to finally use up the frozen turkey i had for last year, i have the electric turkey deep fryer and that raised up my first floor by 5degrees (i don't keep the hvac on the first floor)

i think thats about when i decided i needed an purifier in living room too, the air just felt like oil, ha

i just gave half that turkey to my wifes guitar teacher, just ate the drume sticks

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'm slowly beginning to set up my outdoor kitchen on the lanai for grilling/cooking etc. Soon, the deep fryer will have its spot there so when I want to deep fry I will just carrying it there and use it. I use my Deep fryer on the stove currently and there isnt "much" air quality issues with the hood running directly above it.
I don't ever deep fry anything inside any longer. If I'm going to do a true blue deep fry, I grab my propane tank and my fish fryer burner. It's all done out in the driveway or on the back porch. I don't even like to shallow fry inside. Just get oil particulates coating everything, and you'll smell it for a couple of days after depending upon how much you were doing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yeah the more I thought about my comment the more I think that the reason restaurants get away with it is the industrial grade ventilation. The vent in my kitchen suuucks, and I've lived in enough different houses to think thats pretty common.
This is true. All commercial hood systems have grease catches above the cooking line. You pull the panels out on occasions and wash the hell out of them. Unfortunately there are a lot of restaurants specifically Asian restaurants that don't ever maintain their grease Hood system, or clean the exhaust fan on the roof or on the side of the building. It's a recipe for disaster because that stuff will eventually ignite because there's so much residual Grease.

Other problem you get into is the hood system being overtuned and it's sucking all the conditioned air out so the kitchen is always 90 something degrees. When you're getting done building a restaurant typically you have an HVAC company that will balance the system to where the hood isn't pulling out too much. All of this should be established though by your mechanical engineer but they don't always know what the hell's going on.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is true. All commercial hood systems have grease catches above the cooking line. You pull the panels out on occasions and wash the hell out of them. Unfortunately there are a lot of restaurants specifically Asian restaurants that don't ever maintain their grease Hood system, or clean the exhaust fan on the roof or on the side of the building. It's a recipe for disaster because that stuff will eventually ignite because there's so much residual Grease.

Other problem you get into is the hood system being overtuned and it's sucking all the conditioned air out so the kitchen is always 90 something degrees. When you're getting done building a restaurant typically you have an HVAC company that will balance the system to where the hood isn't pulling out too much. All of this should be established though by your mechanical engineer but they don't always know what the hell's going on.
Screenshot_20231002-151631.png

yea look at how horrible the air gets, yesterday i just did a quick general tsao in the deep fryer (i won't use wok again) and it wrecked my second floor main bedroom air quality for 5hours

it wasn't enough for on board air sensor in the winix to kick on turbo mode, but it was still recorded in the log in the amazon sensor

too bad only the 500sq/ft winix has alexa controls, then i could use that to have a routine work off the amazon sensor instead

• 1Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
yea this is true, the last time i deep fried w/ a wok, the air quality in each of my 2nd floor bedrooms was trash for a few hours.

i'll be doing an experiment soon where i deep fry w/ my deep fryer and see how shit the air quality gets in my kitchen/living room
(my kitchen doesn't have an air cleaner, does anyone put one there? but it is adjacent to my living which has a winix)

My old range hood wasn't great and the house would fill will oily haze frying, or smoke doing pizza. New Hauslane hood and much less of a problem even just on medium but there's a high setting that is like a jet engine. Just crack a window upstairs maybe for super cross draft to pull the air down.

I have several small air purifiers, one that's mostly a humidifier and one for travel if needed. And a large IQAir that can be turned up. But honestly new hood fan was the fix and don't need to crank the purifiers much anymore when cooking high heat/smell.

Also haven't had much issues with oil going bad. Just strain and refrigerate and has seemed fine in taste and nobody getting sick. In short maybe should have responded to Aldarion Aldarion instead heh

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My old range hood wasn't great and the house would fill will oily haze frying, or smoke doing pizza. New Hauslane hood and much less of a problem even just on medium but there's a high setting that is like a jet engine. Just crack a window upstairs maybe for super cross draft to pull the air down.

I have several small air purifiers, one that's mostly a humidifier and one for travel if needed. And a large IQAir that can be turned up. But honestly new hood fan was the fix and don't need to crank the purifiers much anymore when cooking high heat/smell.

Also haven't had much issues with oil going bad. Just strain and refrigerate and has seemed fine in taste and nobody getting sick. In short maybe should have responded to Aldarion Aldarion instead heh
Our old house is extra retarded, above stove microwave which vents back into the room as the wall backs up into a bathroom and not the outer wall.

Really didnt get that oil house smell etc from doing nuggies and fries, but in the future I will probably do it outside. Biggest hassle the cord is only like 18 inches. So need to find some kind of extra strong extension for the amount of juice only need an extra foot or so. Some reviews made it sound like the cord or unit dies if using a cord (I'd think it'd just burn up a thin extension cord)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Our old house is extra retarded, above stove microwave which vents back into the room as the wall backs up into a bathroom and not the outer wall.

Really didnt get that oil house smell etc from doing nuggies and fries, but in the future I will probably do it outside. Biggest hassle the cord is only like 18 inches. So need to find some kind of extra strong extension for the amount of juice only need an extra foot or so. Some reviews made it sound like the cord or unit dies if using a cord (I'd think it'd just burn up a thin extension cord)
get a 12ga extension cord then, looks like they tried to use basic 16ga and then failed

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Our current kitchen has a hood but also a house fan type thing on the side of the gable end which sucks out air from the Kitchen. But its an old system prob from the 70s and I think either the fan lost its bearings or the motor seized up. Too bad because when that fucker was running, you could have a bonfire in the kitchen and would not smell anything in the rest of the house. I had the intent of fixing it but my lazy ass never got around to it.
IMG_0186.jpeg

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
My house was built my retards. My kitchen vent is connected to the master bathroom vent. When you fry in the kitchen the bathroom smells like oil. Thankfully it doesnt go the other way too.

Its just about the only reason I'll someday agree to remodel the kitchen.

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Our current kitchen has a hood but also a house fan type thing on the side of the gable end which sucks out air from the Kitchen. But its an old system prob from the 70s and I think either the fan lost its bearings or the motor seized up. Too bad because when that fucker was running, you could have a bonfire in the kitchen and would not smell anything in the rest of the house. I had the intent of fixing it but my lazy ass never got around to it.
View attachment 493521
They call that a "whole house" fan. My brother has one in his house. Shouldn't be that tough to replace I wouldn't think. It's also great for cooling the house down after the sun goes down on a hot day.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 493521
If you replace the motor, might want to see if the HVAC company will do a proper cleaning of the duct itself, but you may have to get a hood cleaning company. That's an important part of maintaining a hood system. If it's old it's probably got a massive buildup of grease, and might as well spend the extra money to keep you from having an issue further down the road.