Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Korean style spaghetti and meatballs. Very tasty. Nice bit of heat.

View attachment 511481
Well Done Reaction GIF

Post your recipe if you don't mind. Looks great.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Well Done Reaction GIF

Post your recipe if you don't mind. Looks great.

The meatballs are a good ol' Chef John recipe.

The noodles are a take on San Francisco style Vietnamese garlic noodles.

In a sauce bowl mix:

2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp gochujang
Cayenne to taste

Melt 4 tbsp butter over medium heat and add 8 cloves of chopped garlic until fragrant

Stir in the sauce and turn off heat

Cook noodles (a little under half of a lb pack)

Transfer into the pan with the garlic butter sauce mixture with tongs to bring some water into the pan

Toss and add some freshly shredded Parmesan cheese like you would alfredo

That makes enough noodles for two. Combine noodles and meatballs with the delicious glaze for victory. I garnished with red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, and green onion.

It's a lot of garlic.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The meatballs are a good ol' Chef John recipe.

The noodles are a take on San Francisco style Vietnamese garlic noodles.

In a sauce bowl mix:

2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp gochujang
Cayenne to taste

Melt 4 tbsp butter over medium heat and add 8 cloves of chopped garlic until fragrant

Stir in the sauce and turn off heat

Cook noodles (a little under half of a lb pack)

Transfer into the pan with the garlic butter sauce mixture with tongs to bring some water into the pan

Toss and add some freshly shredded Parmesan cheese like you would alfredo

That makes enough noodles for two. Combine noodles and meatballs with the delicious glaze for victory. I garnished with red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, and green onion.

It's a lot of garlic.
Think I have everything on hand for that. Kind of remember seeing that recipe now that I think about it. Should make a nice easy weekday meal here soon. I just watch so much cooking stuff I try to remind myself I need to make something in the future but then I forget about it.

Thank you, sir.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Think I have everything on hand for that. Kind of remember seeing that recipe now that I think about it. Should make a nice easy weekday meal here soon. I just watch so much cooking stuff I try to remind myself I need to make something in the future but then I forget about it.

Thank you, sir.

That noodle recipe rocks. I use it all the time as a side for all sorts of stuff. Or just grill some chicken and serve it with that. It's one of my go-to dishes. Very quick and easy.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That noodle recipe rocks. I use it all the time as a side for all sorts of stuff. Or just grill some chicken and serve it with that. It's one of my go-to dishes. Very quick and easy.
Yeah that's the beauty of both of those recipes is I pretty much have everything on hand. Always have green onions in the fridge because by using constantly, and typically have a pound or two of ground beef floating around in the freezer, but all of the different Asian sauces and ingredients are stocked in the pantry. Probably make certain at least I've got some fresh cilantro as well.

I think when I go to make it I'll use bucatini. I've been buying them recently versus regular vermicelli, and I love them. It's like regular spaghetti but they're hollow, but the body and texture has a lot more chew, and with them being hollow they'll absorb more sauce. I've been trying to figure out excuses to use them whenever possible, and I think this is a perfect application.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If I were to start making more sandwich loaf bread in bulk to freeze, what would the best method of slicing it in a fast and even way? Those bagel guide holders? A cheap spin blade slicer? Just do it by hand and hope to get good enough? Gotta be some Amazon gadget.

I know this is slow, but I found the preferred method:

morning_picdump_3928_640_29.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you can't cut it with a 6" Metabo, it can't be cut!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Found this in my Mother's closet. It must be 40 or 50 years old, at least. I know my Mother has never used it, probably came from my Grandmother. I thought it was maybe completely unused, but when I opened it it does look like it was used once or twice.

I have no idea what it is or how to use it, or if it is any good. Anyone know what it is, how you cook with it and if there is anything good you can do with it, or if I should just trash it.

416502684_323228563419243_8145574891994250485_n.jpg

415970954_357401333811645_3216117678083286405_n.jpg

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's pretty cool. I use something similar to bake no-knead bread in if I want a long loaf instead of a round one in a dutch oven. I imagine you could roast anything in it but I don't know if it's made for something in particular.

EDIT: Looks like you can still buy them on Amazon. Looks like you can use it like a small dutch oven and soaking the lid in water can get some extra steam in there if you are into that sort of thing.

Römertopf 11105 Clay Roaster

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Found this in my Mother's closet. It must be 40 or 50 years old, at least. I know my Mother has never used it, probably came from my Grandmother. I thought it was maybe completely unused, but when I opened it it does look like it was used once or twice.

I have no idea what it is or how to use it, or if it is any good. Anyone know what it is, how you cook with it and if there is anything good you can do with it, or if I should just trash it.

View attachment 511634
View attachment 511635
Like most things built way back in the day it's probably really good. I'd clean it up and give it a go with a nice roast chicken or something. That's pretty cool though.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Cool. I see you can use it for casseroles and such. Love "wet" food. I'll give it a try next weekend.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Cool. I see you can use it for casseroles and such. Love "wet" food. I'll give it a try next weekend.
Post the results.

Was thinking about it, kind of reminds me of that clay style pot that you see in Indian cuisine or maybe Moroccan. I don't remember what they're called. Probably wouldn't make a really good roast chicken unless you pop the top off towards the end to get the skin crispy, but if you were going to braise something I bet it'll probably be delicious.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Post the results.

Was thinking about it, kind of reminds me of that clay style pot that you see in Indian cuisine or maybe Moroccan. I don't remember what they're called. Probably wouldn't make a really good roast chicken unless you pop the top off towards the end to get the skin crispy, but if you were going to braise something I bet it'll probably be delicious.

Tajine?

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've wondered what the benefit of the clay bakers are. I've seen a few at ethnic import style markets. Never sure if some great, secret cooking tool with tangible benefits or just some obsolete nonsense marketed to wypeepo.

Similarly, I always thought these were funny but probably limited benefit:

1706474577298.png

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My mom used to save all the bacon grease, so we always cooked up our eggs, potatoes, etc in it, was great. We'd also mix up some flour, water, and salt and fry it up in bacon grease as a kind of toast to have with the eggs. She had some of her mothers depression era recipes like putting spaghetti and ground beef in a skillet and adding some tomato soup. We called it amateur spaghetti and it was actually really good.
That's my gripe w/ bacon prices, rarely cook it anymore. Gotta be stingy with the white gold.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That's my gripe w/ bacon prices, rarely cook it anymore. Gotta be stingy with the white gold.
Yeah, we're only buying it when it's on sale typically, and even then the prices are stupid, well, like everything else. My parents did the same thing with always saving the grease, as did my grandparents. They always had a jar of it on the counter, and I've always done the same.

HEB does sell I want to say a 1 1/2lb package of off cuts of quality bacon, nice thick pieces, for about 4.50. I'll buy it when I just need bacon for a specific recipe, but you're kind of rolling the dice on whether or not you're going to get any large whole pieces. I'm also found it to be a little saltier than I prefer, but for the price it works.