Great Audiobooks

Seventh

Golden Squire
imtheonlyonereadingthisthread.jpg

Finished the follow up to The Deep Zone today - Frozen Solid. Not bad, but pretty much the same story as the first book.

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Solid-A.../dp/B00B4FB6LC

Listening to this now - same narrator, and so far I'm liking it. (Edit: About 6 hours in and I ended up skipping the rest of this one. It starts out decent but ends up reading like a giant Wikipedia article).

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...-city-of-light

Side note: If someone has an AB torrent site recommendation, I'd love to hear it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Sudhir Venkatesh - Gang Leader for a Day

About a guy who frequented the south Chicago Robert Taylor projects for many years.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Been listening to the Riyria Revelations series, Tim Reynolds does an excellent job. Pretty good story, the first book is actually probably the weakest, gets better as it goes on. Each audiobook is two books combined, so it's pretty long. Just started the third audio book and its over 30(!) hours, so not recommended unless you've got a decent amount of time to kill, but otherwise a solid story and performance.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1...8225415&sr=1-1

Seventh

Golden Squire
As a guy with a long as fuck commute every day, 30 hours sounds glorious. I'll definitely check that out.

Seventh

Golden Squire
^ Picked it up yesterday, cheers man.Infernocame out today and I'm a sucker for Dan Brown and anything read by Paul Michael, so that's what I'm currently on.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I have an Audible credit available after plodding through Inferno (which was, in short, a disappointment). I'm already reading Wolf of the Plains on the kindle, so would like something either modern or sci-fi to mix things up for the commute.

Anyone have a decent recommendation?

Skynet_sl

shitlord
I know it was brought up earlier in the thread back in January, but the World War Z "Complete Edition" audio book came out last month. The original abridged release was good with Mark Hamill and Alan Alda, etc, but I was always disappointed they left out some of the better stories - the removal of the Chinese nuclear submarine chapter was particularly disheartening. The new release doubles the running time from 6 to 12 hours and adds Simon Pegg, Nathan Fillion, Martin Scorsese and quite a few other big names to the cast. Highly recommended even if you've read the book.

I know it was brought up earlier in the thread back in January, but the World War Z "Complete Edition" audio book came out last month. The original abridged release was good with Mark Hamill and Alan Alda, etc, but I was always disappointed they left out some of the better stories - the removal of the Chinese nuclear submarine chapter was particularly disheartening. The new release doubles the running time from 6 to 12 hours and adds Simon Pegg, Nathan Fillion, Martin Scorsese and quite a few other big names to the cast. Highly recommended even if you've read the book.
Well shit. I listened to the abridged version last year while working out in the mountains. If I find a copy of just the new material I'll be happy to listen to Fillion and Pegg tell me their tales.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Listened to Roy Dotrice read a Storm of Swords and a Feast for Crows. He's absolutely masterful in Storm of Swords. He gives little voices to everyone and you start to recognize each character before he says their name. Little disturbing on the sex scenes when he portrays women having orgasms, but I appreciate his enthusiasm.

He wasn't the original reader for A Feast for Crows, but due to popular demand he did that book as well. Unfortunately his age really starts to show and you can hear a lot of parts where he's messed stuff up (calls Joffrey by the name Jeffrey at least once, says someones age is 14 and 4 when it should be 10 and 4) as well as his voices are in some cases completely different. There's also some inconsistencies with the voices across the book. It's still really good, and much better than the original person that read the book.

Both books are around 33-34 hours I'd say, definitely worth checking out. It's great for someone with a long commute like me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll again voice my opinion on the A Dance With Dragons audio book featuring Roy Dotrice. He again does a great job, however he changed a lot of the voices he's used to weird ones (he likes to use the beggar slum rat voice for a lot of highborne characters). Still really good, not finished yet though.