Greenland (2020)

Ome

Molten Core Raider
This movie is about a family that wins the lottery more times than you can count during its long duration...because they are white.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm halfway through. The scene at the beginning with the party where he gets the notice that he is selected... my girlfriend immediately makes fun of the token black character, feeding her the line "Whos going to cook the hotdogs?" Died laughing - they had to cram one in. It's a little ridiculous, Gerard has already survived two explosions with no physical damage. But, I'm enjoying it, will happily finish it, and glad for this recommendation.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
If I recall correctly every minority is portrayed in the nicest way possible in this movie including the armed black guy at the store. I can believe all kinds of stuff but in an end of the world situation as a famous man once said...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If I recall correctly every minority is portrayed in the nicest way possible in this movie including the armed black guy at the store. I can believe all kinds of stuff but in an end of the world situation as a famous man once said...

Oh that's funny, I didn't even notice it. But you're right, the black robber helped them out of the store, and the black guy in the back of the truck helped him fight the white guy who was trying to steal his arm band.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
also the white NPC couple is "evil" while the immigrant mexican family who don't speak english is extremely generous and helpful. Those kinda little things are just standard Hollywood bullshit now, its definitely indoctrination towards youth but whattya gonna do, not watch Gerard Butler wheeze his way up a flight of stairs? INCONCEIVABLE

movies like Den of Thieves is a bit more fun where they lean harder into race prejudices, like the mexicans always being violent gangbangers, russians are violent psychopaths, etc

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
White dude with the plane helps out at the end!

But yeah, it's got a bunch of white bad color good characters.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
movies like Den of Thieves where they lean harder into race prejudices, like the mexicans always being violent gangbangers, russians are violent psychopaths, etc
Those types of movies are called non-fiction documentaries.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
Rather watch a film about what the fuck they do after all this shit to rebuild when they first open the blast doors.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This is on HBO Max now (thanks ATT, I guess?) and remember reading that it was "worth a watch".

Honestly, maybe a 6/10 movie? It had some shit tropes, and the characters were a bit stupid. The lady thought it was a bad movie. It kept my attention, but I would've been far more interested to see what the did after the shelter as well. Best scene was when Morena let's her son get kidnapped lol. We kept quipping about that the rest of the movie.

There was a good movie in there somewhere, but it never quite got there.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
holy shit this movie is getting a sequel lol
Why Would You Do That Ross Geller GIF

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

How the fuck do you do a sequel outside of living in a vault or watching people die as food runs out and they can’t grow more naturally? The impact size was a civilization ender and it hit Europe square on. Only way people live long term is some vault tec level shit

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Didn't it end with them opening the vault and leaving anyway?

A sequel just sounds like Fallout with less mutants, which will probably be terrible.

Cybsled

They walk outside and see a scorched landscape with ruined planes and dead whales and shit. The vault they showed, while large, didn't show off the capacity to be a long term living option.

I had to look it up - movie pegged the main impacting comet fragment at 9 miles across. So smaller than Chixilub by around half, but still fucking huge.

Chixilub was a double whammy because the area it impacted as very sulfur rich, so not only did you get a massive cooling event, but also acid rain from hell. So assuming Europe isn't very sulfur rich, then maybe the same shit doesn't happen to the same degree, but it would still wipe out civilization. You'd still have a cooling event due to all the ejected material + all that material would rain down on the planet and cause secondary impacts + the ultra shockwave.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the first movie ended like 8+ (?) months later, the survivors leaving the vault and the Earth looks kinda fucked up but I think they see birds or shit and realize ... life finds a way.

The first movie was really a metaphor about how hard it is for a fat man to keep his family together and how shitty white people are but how good Mexicans are to white women, the second movie will be a metaphor about how hard it is for a fat man to lose weight in a post apocalyptic world and how Islam is the only real religion for a post apocalyptic world, when Muhammed comes back to impose Sharia Law.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Worf