Grim Dawn

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I decided on a dual pistol Purifier. I've been doing ranged builds on my ARPGs of late, and this one has few buttons to press, which I enjoy.

Also seems like I only made it to level 66 on my last build before losing interest in the game....see how far I make it this time.

The one great thing this game has going for it is interactive online maps - the one advantage of fixed game environments.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Static maps have many, many advantages over procedurally generated tilesets. I am very anti random tileset generation in ARPGs personally. Don't think they add anything but annoyance to the experience.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You really want to fuck yourself up just rotate to a new orientation. For long time players who are used to normal view.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I wonder if there's a mod that slowly, continuously rotates the camera. I tried looking but haven't found much.

• 1Worf

Khane

By the way, for anyone who is used to using things like Grim Internals (which no longer works with latest patch and is not in active development) to do simple things like just change the game speed (Since Grim Dawn does play on the slower side). You can do this yourself really easily on PC

hit the "`~" button (on a standard QWERTY keyboard) and it will bring up the grim dawn console. The console command for game speed is just Game.Speed followed by whatever game speed you want.

Example: Game.Speed 1.5

You don't need special programs to do things like this, mostly those programs would just turn the console commands into buttons you can press in a UI. Here is a list of the console commands you can use.

Other useful commands are things like game.PlayStats true which will show a bunch of character stats like time played, deaths, kills, DPS, etc

If you can figure out how to map the console command on a steam deck it should work there too. Don't know if there is a way to do this on console versions of the game.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Static maps have many, many advantages over procedurally generated tilesets. I am very anti random tileset generation in ARPGs personally. Don't think they add anything but annoyance to the experience.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

It would be nice to have the vast majority of the game, especially the leveling experience, be static maps with the opportunity to go into procedurally generated maps to help endgame grinds not get incredibly stale.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Kill Log then farm Steps of Torment or that rift at the end of Necropolis is how I always do it.

Farm skele key zones/MI's to prep for celestials from there.

Khane

It would be nice to have the vast majority of the game, especially the leveling experience, be static maps with the opportunity to go into procedurally generated maps to help endgame grinds not get incredibly stale.

I think that'd be a fine way to do it as long as there was a limited amount of tilesets in the pool and none of them sucked 1000x worse than the most favorable ones (like is always the case with these games).

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There's Item Assistant

It looks like there's an update from October from a playtest so might not be a dead project. I used it and found it to be quite good for dealing with the item bloat.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Isn’t that what the shattered realm rift things do? I know they’re small in size though so maybe doesn’t fully satisfy what you’re asking for.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
By the way, for anyone who is used to using things like Grim Internals (which no longer works with latest patch and is not in active development) to do simple things like just change the game speed (Since Grim Dawn does play on the slower side). You can do this yourself really easily on PC

hit the "`~" button (on a standard QWERTY keyboard) and it will bring up the grim dawn console. The console command for game speed is just Game.Speed followed by whatever game speed you want.

Example: Game.Speed 1.5

You don't need special programs to do things like this, mostly those programs would just turn the console commands into buttons you can press in a UI. Here is a list of the console commands you can use.

Other useful commands are things like game.PlayStats true which will show a bunch of character stats like time played, deaths, kills, DPS, etc

If you can figure out how to map the console command on a steam deck it should work there too. Don't know if there is a way to do this on console versions of the game.

However, this only works in Custom games and not the Main Campaign.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It even says right in that linked post that it doesn’t. I’ve never used it, just sayin.

IMG_2496.jpeg

• 1Like

Khane

Hrmm, I must be using something that activates the console in main campaign for me because it does work.

EDIT: Yep, it's this that is enabling it in main campaign for me

The program itself also will change the game speed for you.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I decided on a dual pistol Purifier. I've been doing ranged builds on my ARPGs of late, and this one has few buttons to press, which I enjoy.
Dual pistol purifier is by far the most fun build I've played in GD. Can't decide whether to stick with it in 1.2 since it was only a few months ago that I made the character, or try to find another build I really like (read: the less buttons to press the better).

Edit: Seems like gearing while leveling might suck a bit though. Unless I am remembering wrong, most of the good stuff you wanted were MIs from random mobs rather than bosses, and in 1.2 they made MIs from bosses essentially a 100% drop (unless the boss drops multiple things for the same slot) while MIs from random trash mobs are much more rare now.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Dual pistol purifier is by far the most fun build I've played in GD. Can't decide whether to stick with it in 1.2 since it was only a few months ago that I made the character, or try to find another build I really like (read: the less buttons to press the better).

Edit: Seems like gearing while leveling might suck a bit though. Unless I am remembering wrong, most of the good stuff you wanted were MIs from random mobs rather than bosses, and in 1.2 they made MIs from bosses essentially a 100% drop (unless the boss drops multiple things for the same slot) while MIs from random trash mobs are much more rare now.

I wanted a couple of "random mob" MIs for my 1.2 fresh start and they weren't bad to farm at all honestly. Because of the change to how modifiers roll (weighted towards getting affixes that complement the base stats of the MI) it made it quite a bit easier to get a decent to even very good MI. So they might drop slightly less often but they are rolled far better almost every time compared to previous patches.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I really, really want to like GD but the game just feels like such a fucking slog. Am I just playing it wrong?

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users