Grim Dawn

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I found the slower game play refreshing after PoE's zoom zoom game play. Maybe try a different class or something with a bit more DPS.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I really, really want to like GD but the game just feels like such a fucking slog. Am I just playing it wrong?

Titan Quest and Grim Dawn are slower speed arpg's, for sure. Wish they'd put in a default speed increase option in GD like TQ has.

That said, you can make a custom game and do console commands to make the game faster.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I found the slower game play refreshing after PoE's zoom zoom game play. Maybe try a different class or something with a bit more DPS.

I don't mean the moment-to-moment gameplay. It just seems to take for fucking ever to make progress. On my last attempt I put in maybe 30 hours before I burned out and wasn't particularly close to the endgame. Reading around online it seems like the "right" way to play is to skip everything and run through as fast as you can, but it really just feels wrong to not explore and do the quests as you encounter them.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I don't mean the moment-to-moment gameplay. It just seems to take for fucking ever to make progress. On my last attempt I put in maybe 30 hours before I burned out and wasn't particularly close to the endgame. Reading around online it seems like the "right" way to play is to skip everything and run through as fast as you can, but it really just feels wrong to not explore and do the quests as you encounter them.

With 1.2 I'd say it's best to get to Ultimate asap and then explore/do every quest.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I decided on a dual pistol Purifier. I've been doing ranged builds on my ARPGs of late, and this one has few buttons to press, which I enjoy.

Also seems like I only made it to level 66 on my last build before losing interest in the game....see how far I make it this time.

The one great thing this game has going for it is interactive online maps - the one advantage of fixed game environments.

Dual pistol purifier is by far the most fun build I've played in GD. Can't decide whether to stick with it in 1.2 since it was only a few months ago that I made the character, or try to find another build I really like (read: the less buttons to press the better).

Edit: Seems like gearing while leveling might suck a bit though. Unless I am remembering wrong, most of the good stuff you wanted were MIs from random mobs rather than bosses, and in 1.2 they made MIs from bosses essentially a 100% drop (unless the boss drops multiple things for the same slot) while MIs from random trash mobs are much more rare now.

Got build links?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
With 1.2 I'd say it's best to get to Ultimate asap and then explore/do every quest.

How long should that take, and does it involve just skipping everything for several hours? I'm too old with too little time to spend 5-10 hours skipping a game just to get to the "real" game.

• 1Seriously?

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I second what C Captain Suave said - I burned out in Act 2 Elite last time I played, at Level 66, with an easy-peasy deathknight build.

I also burned out the last time i played Titan Quest because I got all the expansions and it took too long to get to the next difficulty. There is a definite balance there, and both Grim Dawn and modern Titan Quest are too long per playthrough for sure.

I am pretty sure I never killed the highest difficulty expansion boss in TQ, I just farmed for set items, and I've never even been in the third difficulty in Grim Dawn, but maybe this time.

But POE new league next week does not make it look good.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I agree GD got too long as they added expansions and always wished they would have condensed to two difficulties instead of three. Having played it a ton though I’m fine with not having coloring every single nook and cranny anymore. The recent changes will make it even easier to do, skipping things without feeling like you’re skipping things will be nice when I get back to the game again.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only thing thats not skippable is the constellation points thing which really adds to your build and you dont want to gimp yourself. Other than that its just finishing story in the different tiers.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You can play all the way to level 100 in Normal now if you so choose. Alternatively you can beat the act 4 boss in normal and then go straight to either Elite or Ultimate right away if you so choose. There isn't a better ARPG out there in that regard. After the new patch you can choose exactly how fast or slow you want to play through the campaign.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
How the heck does this build calc work? I need a level by level guide where to spend points, but I can't figure out how to display that here...
This guy does like 12 hours of videos on it if you need a step by step guide. They are over-long but you can skip to the places where he applies points. Here is a link to the first one.

Edit - Every attribute point into Physique. Inquisitor to level 10 with passives. Demolitionist to unlock fire strike. Pump a few points into that and its first passive. Then unlock the inquis tree and then the Demo tree.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
You can play all the way to level 100 in Normal now if you so choose. Alternatively you can beat the act 4 boss in normal and then go straight to either Elite or Ultimate right away if you so choose. There isn't a better ARPG out there in that regard. After the new patch you can choose exactly how fast or slow you want to play through the campaign.
I have noted level scaling. Made my farming a bit before Krieg a little redundant.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got build links?
I used the one in the video above too.

He did a new video for 1.2:

He's leveling it in a fairly inefficient way just to make a point that it's still easy and relatively fast without using a different leveling skill. Also, playing on veteran which is always slower for little to no benefit.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Are the drops simply level dependent now then?

I just killed the original game main boss around level 48, so if I keep going in Normal or I go to Elite, do I get the same drops? What about Ultimate?

I dabbled for a few minutes in Ultimate - I can kill the opening area stuff easy but the resists drops means I take too much damage, especially from poison.

That being said, if I can still start getting purple drops as I level in Normal, and I keep my no resist penalty, that seems like the EASIER way.