Having an existential crisis

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Where the fuck did you get that in any of my post? He was an asshole, and it was the dumbest fucking thing this kid has ever done. He knew he was an asshole, it was kind of the thing about him. He was terminally ill, the doctors had nothing more they could do for him. The only thing he cared about was not dying in a fucking hospital, again. He wanted more than anything to not have his family watch him wither away a third time. He is on no pedestal, as he was just a person.
You didn't say he was terminally ill in your original post, you said he had beaten cancer a second time, and he was beaten, not by cancer, but by himself... etc... so this is a pretty different story than you originally told.

And where is this cancer caused by drinking water coming from? I assume if you had any proof of this, there'd be lawsuits etc?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Lots of things "can" be. But part of your crisis relates to your inability to see the world as it is. You want the world to be one way, and it just isn't. When you accept that, you'll begin to see how your one small life can fit into the system of the world, rather than rejecting the world because it isn't the way you picture it ought to be.
rrr_img_39513.jpg

visual aid

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The scary thing about vat is I think he has a kid. I feel bad for that child.
That's one reason this "existential crisis" crap all sounds so stupid to me. Even before I had kids I knew I wanted them and I wanted to help them be the best they can. Education, morals, physically, everything. This whole "Society sucks people are vapid I'mma walk the earf" shit sounds like something I would have said in high school when I was retarded as fuck. I had no perspective, I knew a lot of facts but didn't understand the application. Now I read this stuff and think "grow the fuck up..." but in my head it is in my dad's voice and that is scary as fuck.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
That's exactly what he needs to do, grow the fuck up, especially because he has a child. Wandering around like a crusty is one of the most selfish things I can think of a man doing when he has a child.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
well, my point is that they are part of world economy in some way, since investment capitals from the West are flowing into a country where conditions on the ground may not ready to utilize them properly.
I still don't really see what your point is in the context of what I was saying. I said that the very shittiest countries on the planet are most often those with no infrastructure, stability, or effective government and that generally those aren't caused by anything to do with market forces or consumerism. And further that trade is one of the most surefire ways to improve a country's living conditions. Apple manufacturing shitloads of electronics in Shenzhen doesn't result in civil wars in the Congo, but it sure has improved people's quality of life in China. Mining companies would love to rape and pillage half of the Congo for resources, but they can't at this point because it's too fucking dangerous, unstable and remote to justify spending billions of dollars to build mines there.

chaos_sl said:
That's one reason this "existential crisis" crap all sounds so stupid to me.
In terms of what Vatoreus was saying, absolutely I agree. But I can totally understand existential crises from other perspectives:

-Working in a career or job that you hate
-Questioning the point of life in an infinitely large, cold, uncaring universe
-Having few or no close friends or relationships
-Being diagnosed with a terminal or otherwise serious disease (the one thing that frightens the FUCK out of me and would surely trigger an existential crisis would be an accident resulting in some form of paralysis, as being able bodied is central to so much of what I enjoy in life)
-Quitting/losing a job, contemplating a career change or retiring and wondering what to do with the rest of your life
-The death of a loved one, whether your only child, your spouse or close sibling

All of those, and I'm sure many others, could certainly cause even well adjusted, mature, productive individuals to question what the point of their existence truly is. Some might be more valid than others, they're certainly not created equally.

chaos_sl said:
Even before I had kids I knew I wanted them and I wanted to help them be the best they can. Education, morals, physically, everything.This whole "Society sucks people are vapid I'mma walk the earf" shit sounds like something I would have said in high school when I was retarded as fuck.I had no perspective, I knew a lot of facts but didn't understand the application. Now I read this stuff and think "grow the fuck up..." but in my head it is in my dad's voice and that is scary as fuck.
I agree with you on the bolded part, no question, especially because a lot of people with that viewpoint are quite simply ignorant about how things truly are, where they were, and where they're going. If you ask the average person how things are in Africa, or India, or China, or wherever they'd likely have little factual knowledge or understanding of what life there is like today vs 20 years ago. I'd wager that the majority of people think most of Africa is getting worse and worse, not better (sure, some parts are getting worse, but most aren't).

So yeah, that kind of shit is a stupid reason to have an existential crisis.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
In terms of what Vatoreus was saying, absolutely I agree. But I can totally understand existential crises from other perspectives:

-Working in a career or job that you hate
-Questioning the point of life in an infinitely large, cold, uncaring universe
-Having few or no close friends or relationships
-Being diagnosed with a terminal or otherwise serious disease (the one thing that frightens the FUCK out of me and would surely trigger an existential crisis would be an accident resulting in some form of paralysis, as being able bodied is central to so much of what I enjoy in life)
-Quitting/losing a job, contemplating a career change or retiring and wondering what to do with the rest of your life
-The death of a loved one, whether your only child, your spouse or close sibling

All of those, and I'm sure many others, could certainly cause even well adjusted, mature, productive individuals to question what the point of their existence truly is. Some might be more valid than others, they're certainly not created equally.
I don't mean to belittle something serious, like having a terminal illness or having a family member die, that is awful. Personally, even that doesn't really make me understand why a person would have some kind of existential issue, but that's just my non-existentialist privilege showing I guess. I can't imagine what it is like to, for instance, be diagnosed with cancer so I don't really judge anything anyone has to do to deal with that.

But just existence itself? Or comparably trivial things like losing a job? Or Vatoreus here? Sometimes you just need to get over it. If you're unhappy in you life, do something to change that. If you're unhappy with society, do something to help. being all "woe is me" because f the economic disparity in third world countries seems more than a little strange to me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I agree that the way in which you handle it is a big reflection on your character. A good friend of mine broke her back snowboarding when she was 19 or so, leaving her in a wheel chair. Like I said, that kind of thing would certainly cause an existential crisis for me, and I don't know how I'd handle it. If I accomplished half the shit she has since her accident, I'd think I'm doing okay. But maybe I'd just become a bitter asshole wasting away in my wheelchair.

http://www.kimberlyjoines.com/Site/K...-_the_bio.html

An existential crisis doesn't necessarily have to be something that you're stuck in for weeks or months or years. Maybe you get fired from your job or your close grandfather dies and you mope/grieve for a few days, realize that it doesn't change anything or if it does make a plan to accommodate the changes and keep on trucking. Just because you resolve it quickly or realize it wasn't a big deal to begin with doesn't mean you didn't have one in the first place nor does it mean you were a pussy or cry baby to have it.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I still don't really see what your point is in the context of what I was saying. I said that the very shittiest countries on the planet are most often those with no infrastructure, stability, or effective government and that generally those aren't caused by anything to do with market forces or consumerism. And further that trade is one of the most surefire ways to improve a country's living conditions. Apple manufacturing shitloads of electronics in Shenzhen doesn't result in civil wars in the Congo, but it sure has improved people's quality of life in China. Mining companies would love to rape and pillage half of the Congo for resources, but they can't at this point because it's too fucking dangerous, unstable and remote to justify spending billions of dollars to build mines there.
you said "world economy" though. Capital is part of that process. I am sure that Uganda received capitals from the Western world, at least.
They are poor because they live in fucked up countries with no infrastructure, no stability, no government. Most of the worst countries in the world to live have absolutely NOTHING to do with consumerism. What does consumerism have to do with the state of Congo, Uganda, Yemen and so on? Nothing.None of those countries have ever been a part of the world economy or trade in any serious way.
I get that you are saying consumerism and/or any serious way. I dunno how you would categorize any serious way though. Like little bits of input or influx of capital, so that Africans can buy guns? I just thought that Uganda not being part of world economy in a serious way was a odd. I think most of African countries, in some shape or form, even if they are poor and completely insane, are part of the world economy, whether in trade or capital. I think that i may have misunderstood your exact point, so sorry;

but yeh, shit is crazy down there, whether with or without western market forces.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I mean that they weren't actively participating and trading members of the global economy. I don't really consider Uganda getting some development assistance and aid being relevant in that context.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How is losing a job something trivial?

Your post is a little too bootstrappy.
Comparable to getting cancer or losing a family member? Sure, losing a job sucks. You should probably have a big sad for a day or two. Then quit fucking crying and go find work. It isn't some big existentialist dilemma, it is a problem that you need to fix.Unfixable things like a death in the family, well that shit I really can't judge people over.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Comparable to getting cancer or losing a family member? Sure, losing a job sucks. You should probably have a big sad for a day or two. Then quit fucking crying and go find work. It isn't some big existentialist dilemma, it is a problem that you need to fix.Unfixable things like a death in the family, well that shit I really can't judge people over.
I think the context of the situation is important. People can experience an existential crisis when they feel helpless or out of control. Depending on how you lost your job, got cancer, or your family member died, all three can trigger those feelings.

A lot of times it's just not as simple as "go find work". On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. See, everything can be glossed over with meaningless platitudes.

I really think you guys are misunderstanding, or I'm failing to properly represent myself here. I'm not some crusty, I have a downtown apartment in San Antonio, I'm a professional chef, I carry a relationship with my child and I "contribute" my part. But that doesn't mean that I can't also look at the system, and find it incredibly troubling. It doesn't mean that I can't point to the fact that our system is very fucked up, on a macro scale. I help those around me carry through life, I don't just leech off of any systems or have anyone but myself taking care of me. Y'all mother fuckers are quick to jump to judgments based on very small snippets of internet conversation. Jimmies confirmed rustled.

Also, I said that he had beaten cancer once, had gotten it again, it remained in his heart. He had already received the maximum amount of chemo he could receive in his lifetime. He stopped taking his medications about 4 months ago, and started to see an alternative medicine nutritionist, as the hospitals and doctors all said there was nothing they could do except make him comfortable, and that he appeared to be improving physically. The ALL was still there, the whole time, and medically, he was considered terminal.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I think the context of the situation is important. People can experience an existential crisis when they feel helpless or out of control. Depending on how you lost your job, got cancer, or your family member died, all three can trigger those feelings.

A lot of times it's just not as simple as "go find work". On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. See, everything can be glossed over with meaningless platitudes.
yeah, this is true. everyone has different sense of what matters and deal with them differently. for example, if you lost your job and you have a family and a mortgage, shit could be a bigger deal and question your purpose and your worth altogether as a man and a provider. it is true, though, it's not as bad as losing your family member and your friends.

iannis

Musty Nester
It seems like it's not one singular event that triggers this sort of dissolution of worldview, but an ongoing pattern of them. Then it's one singular event that triggers what's been building for months/years. If you just look at a snapshot it would seem like, "Well, that's a retarded thing to have a crisis over". But my dog got run over, man. He was my DOG -- what the FUCK.

This is not my beautiful house
This is not my beautiful wife
letting the days go by

But then again I do tend to get all my psychological insights from pop songs. I know two shrinks, and I trust the warner brothers recording label more than either of them when it comes to things like this.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

To me, it is that simple. It is an easily definable problem with a solution that can be easily broken into steps and accomplished. People over-complicate things too often, one step at a time. Baby Steps, by Dr. Leo Marvin.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
To me, it is that simple. It is an easily definable problem with a solution that can be easily broken into steps and accomplished. People over-complicate things too often, one step at a time. Baby Steps, by Dr. Leo Marvin.
Finding new work does not fix the fact that you lost your previous job. How did you lose your previous job? How long were you out of work? Did you have to move your family? Did you lose your home of X years? How much of your savings did you blow to keep afloat? We could discuss all of these things but they're just symptoms of that you do not have complete control over your employment. Probably nowhere near complete control.

Decisions other people make, people that you will never meet, will affect whether you get to live a life with a steady income or not. That can be a scary idea, especially if you experience it firsthand and how much, financially, being laid off affected you.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How can this be a new experience for grown people? Chain reactions instigated by events beyond your control, that is pretty much the definition of childhood.

Getting a new job fixes the problem of not having a job, not being able to eat, etc. You can't fix something that happened. Events happen and you move on. Getting mired in this stuff that you can't change instead of focusing on what you can seems like a very poor life decision.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How can this be a new experience for grown people? Chain reactions instigated by events beyond your control, that is pretty much the definition of childhood.

You can't fix something that happened. Events happen and you move on. Getting mired in this stuff that you can't change instead of focusing on what you can seems like a very poor life decision.
I snipped out the part specifically referencing a job loss. The rest of your post is so generic that it can be applied to anything that's been mentioned in this thread. Bad shit happens? Deal with it and move on, you pussy.