HDTVs

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So I ordered a 39" inch Sceptre for the other room and it fit into the cabinet with 1/4 inch to spare.
I paid $264 shipped and the model was so new no one had reviews on it even yet.
I'm actually jealous. I think it looks better than my 42"LG. The sound is worse but the picture and features are much much better. The remote even has a soundbar control should you order a Sceptre soundbar to go with it.

Still trying to find headphones. Vvoids suggestion above is awesome, but this damn LG only has a digital optical out. How in the fuck would I get that to work with a headphone base set.
Amazon.com: FiiO D3 (D03K) Digital to Analog Audio Converter With Micca 6ft Optical Toslink Cable - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC: Electronics

Oldbased

> Than U
Well no shit. Thank you!
Never used that digital jack before, didn't think they could adapter that. I was wrong!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Was at the brother in-law's house last weekend and in his media room he is using an Epson HC8350 projector, think he said the size was 110" or so. We were seated 18' away I'd say (didn't measure). And honestly it didn't really look that great. Just trying to see what other's feedback is and if it is just that 1080 at that size naturally looks a little grainy and bad, if it is because the projector isn't 'top of the line,' or other factors. We had a variety of sources from ESPN, PS4, Blu Ray. Was thinking about doing something similar at home but now leaning more towards just sticking to 60" - 65" TV.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I use a fairly inexpensive Optoma HD25-LV (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD25-LV.htm) and the picture looks great on a 106" screen so long as there isn't a lot of ambient light. I'm not a video-phile or whatever they're called, so for all I know the colors aren't perfect or whatever. But the picture is extremely crisp/clear. I don't know much about your in-laws specific projector, but it could be that it's just not set up right, there was too much ambient light, or something else. You shouldn't need to spend more than 1-2k on a projector to get a pretty good picture.

Looks like that projector is pretty good:http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...inema_8350.htm

However on a screen that large, you'd need next to no ambient light. It's just not bright enough if there is much ambient light at all.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
Was at the brother in-law's house last weekend and in his media room he is using an Epson HC8350 projector, think he said the size was 110" or so. We were seated 18' away I'd say (didn't measure). And honestly it didn't really look that great. Just trying to see what other's feedback is and if it is just that 1080 at that size naturally looks a little grainy and bad, if it is because the projector isn't 'top of the line,' or other factors. We had a variety of sources from ESPN, PS4, Blu Ray. Was thinking about doing something similar at home but now leaning more towards just sticking to 60" - 65" TV.
Did he have a screen or was he projecting it on the wall?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It was on a screen. My complaint isn't so much a color accuracy, contrast, brightness thing (the room was completely dark, no windows, just some adjustable lighting). My experience looking at projector set ups is extremely limited. This may have been only the second or third time. And it wasn't like terrible to look at, it was good and usable, I'd probably enjoy it. But it just wasn't as "crisp" as say my TV...

Anyways, I do know that there was a tiny problem with the install. It wasn't projected completely level, there was a slight tilt to the picture. But there isn't a keystone setting on these that I could find. It was really only noticeable if the content wasn't the same aspect ratio as the screen and you could see the edges.

I'll stop complaining without being able to adequately explain my complaint!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, a properly set up projector should be every bit as "crisp" as a TV, or nearly so, even standing right up near it. At 18' from the screen at 1080p, no way that you should be able to notice individual pixels etc.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How often do you have to replace bulbs in those things? Seems like the ones at work are always going out.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have a Samsung 56" rear projection DLP that was purchased back in 2006 from Amazon. It's still on the original bulb. That said, my dad's wife's son in law purchased the same TV, and he went through 3 bulbs before finally replacing the TV in '12.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
"rear-projection" TV bulbs last WAY longer than projector bulbs. I don't know the exact specifics, but it's not even close. I had a rear-projection Toshiba HDTV that I bought in 2001 and it was still kicking as of 2012 when I finally got rid of it. It easily had 10,000+ hours on it.

Most HD Projector bulbs won't even last 1/3 of that

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Last year i bought an insignia during the boxing day for real cheap. At the time i didnt think id go back to console gaming so 1080i was fine with me. Now that am planning to buy a ps4, 1080p seems the obvious choice. I thought that since my tv native resolution is 1080i, i was prolly fucked but last night, while loading a netflix movie, i saw it switch to 1080p ( it said 1080p in the top right corner...) Does it mean my tv can display 1080p or is it just something netflix does automatically and it actually still is in 1080i?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If it is an overlay from the TV itself, it is 1080p. Now, there are varying qualities of 1080p out there, and Netflix streaming is probably towards the lower end, but that's purely a back end thing. In theory your TV should be able to handle a PS4 just fine, up to whatever refresh rate your TV is rated for (should be minimum of 60 Hz which is enough unless you're doing 3D shit).

If it is some kind of Netflix overlay that I'm not aware of, well who knows. Your TV could be accepting the 1080p signal and just converting it to 1080i or something. It shouldn't be hard to google the model number and find out exactly what it does.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, completely depends on if it is your TV stating 1080p, or Netflix. You can go crank a Youtube video up to 1080p all day long, but that doesn't mean you are watching it in 1080p, depending on your TV/monitor. It just means the original signal is that, and then your TV converts it into the appropriate compatible format for your viewing.

Odds are, whether you are watching in 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, its all going to look about the same on a cheap Sceptre TV.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
There might be a better sale during black friday, probably will be trying to off there non 4k screens for the holiday season..

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If this were March, I'd say just get it. But since we're only a few weeks away from Cyber Monday/Black Friday you might as well wait and see what pops up. Start checking online sites for sales starting in about the middle of November, a lot of sites run stuff early for the holidays.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
yeah, TV speakers pretty much suck anymore, they are almost all placed behind the TV, pointing back or to the sides. The LG LED in our living room hangs on a wall that then continues down the hallway to our bedrooms. You can hear the TV better in our bedroom, 50 feet down at the end of the hallway, than you can in the living room sitting 10 feet in front of the TV. Stupid side speakers. That's our secondary TV, so I don't sweat it much, but I'll probably break down and get a sound bar one of these days.