HDTVs

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was this a real disk, or a pirate download version? In my experience, I have had more crappy 3D rips than good ones.

I'd be sure to try a legit 3D BR disk and check that all is well.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your left/right could be reversed, your effect strength may be too high, or you may have a manual offset applied without realizing. Is this the first 3D movie you've watched on it? Initial settings take some tweaking, but should be fine for all content once figured out.
Yeah, it was the first movie we watched in 3d. I applied some general settings recommended at AVSForum, but didn't pay any attention to the 3d stuff. I'll go back through and check those out, specifically. Thanks.

Edit: It was a legit 3d Blu Ray.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Temporarily back in Phoenix, staying with family, until I can find a job up in Portland area... and my brother in law still has a tube TV. That's not going to work with my Ps4, so I'm going to buy a TV for a short period of time.

Some may consider it a jack ass thing to do, but if I wanted to buy a TV, with intentions of returning it when I hopefully move back to Portland in a couple months, who's the best retailer to get it from? I'm thinking Walmart or Costco? Costco has couple hundred bucks off all their Samsung TVs. Wanted to pick up the 6300 series 55" for $769. Seemed like a good deal?

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-...100108480.html

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Why don't you buy a TV you can afford and gift it to your BIL for his generous hospitality?

spronk

FPS noob
be careful with returns for the last few years all retailers have been participating in TRE which is a massive database that tracks all returns. Too many returns etc will get you flagged and you can get banned from returns for 90 days to life.
The Retail Equation

costco also no longer has a generous return policy on TVs, I forget exactly but its like 90 days or something its on signs in their customer service area. i think lurkers idea is best, buy a fairly cheap 40" tv and give it to your BIL when you leave. it'd be like $250 or less, just setup some keywords on slickdeals you should see a ton of deals this month and in january.

Crone

Ya, 90 days is fine, and it's plastered on every tv box. Don't intend to be here that long.

Ended up getting a Vizio 40 inch for $369. I'm pleased with it, and after talking with the wife, might end up giving it to the brother in law anyway.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that's a good idea. Nice gift for letting you stay plus you should not be letting your family members watch tube TVs in this day and age. It's like if your brother in law was still using an outhouse or something.

Crone

Well the Vizio e400i-b2 that I picked up has the fairly common problem (according to google search), of just randomly shutting off. Has done it when using the Roku, or when in the TV apps, so nothing to pin point it. Going to return it, and get a different one this time!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At Walmart on Black Friday they had a 50" TV for $200, guaranteed by Christmas. Was random what brand it would be. I decided last minute against it, but my brother in law did it.

He went yesterday and they ran out of the shitty TVs so they gave him a Vizio Smart LED 50" instead.. for the $200.

Kicking myself today. Fuck me.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
At Walmart on Black Friday they had a 50" TV for $200, guaranteed by Christmas. Was random what brand it would be. I decided last minute against it, but my brother in law did it.

He went yesterday and they ran out of the shitty TVs so they gave him a Vizio Smart LED 50" instead.. for the $200.

Kicking myself today. Fuck me.
Hah my brother and mom both received Elements.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's just going to be your typical LED vs Plasma preference. Plasma is going to have slightly better colors, black levels, and refresh rate(virtually zero motion blur) but is larger, heavier, uses more power, puts of more heat, and might have more glare issues if it's in a bright room.

I also don't put any value on the 3D feature of the plasma, home 3d is next to worthless imho

I have a plasma in my basement family room and a led in my upstairs living room (lots of Windows)

Crone

Well the Vizio e400i-b2 that I picked up has the fairly common problem (according to google search), of just randomly shutting off. Has done it when using the Roku, or when in the TV apps, so nothing to pin point it. Going to return it, and get a different one this time!
Never returned it, as the problem pretty much stopped. But it's not far from the 90 day mark, and I don't think I really like it all that much. I'm worried the issue will come back around, and I'll be screwed.

Too bad Costco doesn't really have many TV deals right now. Plenty of deals around the web, but I want that 90 day window again on a new one.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I haven't bought a new TV in about 6 years, and I'm looking to upgrade my old 47" 720p plasma. I don't want to spend a ton of money (less than $1k), but I'd also like to future proof a bit, if possible. Costco is running a deal on a 50" 4k pixel for $700 until the end of next week:http://www.costco.com/Vizio-50%22-Cl...100131267.html

I figured you forumbros would know better than me if this was a terrible buy. What do you guys think?

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
I haven't bought a new TV in about 6 years, and I'm looking to upgrade my old 47" 720p plasma. I don't want to spend a ton of money (less than $1k), but I'd also like to future proof a bit, if possible. Costco is running a deal on a 50" 4k pixel for $700 until the end of next week:http://www.costco.com/Vizio-50%22-Cl...100131267.html

I figured you forumbros would know better than me if this was a terrible buy. What do you guys think?
It's a good tv for the average guy. We just mounted the 70" M class Vizio in our new conference room and everyone wants to get one now for home, and it's only 1080p. We got it at Costco too. Black levels are crazy good considering the price, and the P series 4k are even better.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I have a 65" P series and it's awesome. I saw that the 55" Is on sale at best buy for $999. I'm tempted to get it and upgrade my other old DLP TV.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

I'm a big fan of the LG TVs that Costco sells. I have the 55" version of this model:
http://www.costco.com/.product.10011...QqRcY0AA%3D%3D

The 60" is $829, my 55" was like $799 a year ago.

Honestly, I think LG is posisbly the best bang for your buck. Picture quality that is on par with Samsung but priced like a Vizio. I've had my 55" LG LED for a year now, and I've had a 50" LG Plasma for about 3 years, and both are great TVs with phenomenal picture quality.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Any pro tips on how to ensure your picture settings are optimal (or where to go to find a write up for your specific model)?