Health Problems

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
Have any of you dealt with hair loss? I'm almost 40 and I've noticed that my hair is thinning out on top too much for my liking. I've always had thick black hair and neither my father or mothers side have had hair loss issues. I'm not panicking yet, but I have started using Nioxin to just thicken up what I have now. When my hair is wet it's noticable on top but after blow drying it it's much harder to see my scalp. Could be stress from work, possibly all those years in college I wore a ball cap, lack of sex....who knows?

Anyone here combat hair loss/thinning hair with any success?

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am balding a bit I guess, moreso in the last couple years. I've shaved my head since high school so it's not noticeable unless it grows out a bit.

I don't combat it.. I just let it happen

Hosix

All labs matter!
Shaved head is the way to go. Can't fight it and we don't have Brian Urlacher money to buy a full head of hair.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I shaved my head randomly a few months ago and that's when I noticed a couple bald spots (I normally keep it pretty thick). Immediately went out and bought rogaine but I don't think I'll be able to keep up with the twice a day application for the rest of my life. I'm vain enough to spring for hair transplant if it worsens.

I also have alopecia but only on my neck area. It started off small and then subsided for a bit but over the past year it's spread a lot. It's pretty noticeable if I go more than two days without shaving.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I finished up my radiation therapy for my cancer a couple weeks ago. My oncologist mentioned I might need to start chemotherapy again tho. Can't tell yet... We're going to see how stuff is looking in a couple months.

My heart dropped a lot when she mentioned chemo. Oh well, nothing I can do right now but wait and see.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I finished up my radiation therapy for my cancer a couple weeks ago. My oncologist mentioned I might need to start chemotherapy again tho. Can't tell yet... We're going to see how stuff is looking in a couple months.

My heart dropped a lot when she mentioned chemo. Oh well, nothing I can do right now but wait and see.
How did the radiation go? My mom had it recently and it kicked her ass. (It was to her brain - "prophylactic radiation")
She liked the chemo better and that was pretty awful...glad you are finished with this round of rads though! Hoping the best for you and all the people here dealing with the fucking cancer of any type!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Radiation went pretty well. My cancer was just in a single lymph node in my abdomen after chemo was done, so my radiation didn't need to be too hardcore. Each treatment only took about ten minutes. Towards the end of it it really messed with my stomach, but wasn't nearly as bad as the chemo I did... And marijuana helped with stomach problems a lot.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Radiation went pretty well. My cancer was just in a single lymph node in my abdomen after chemo was done, so my radiation didn't need to be too hardcore. Each treatment only took about ten minutes. Towards the end of it it really messed with my stomach, but wasn't nearly as bad as the chemo I did... And marijuana helped with stomach problems a lot.
Yay for the weed helping you. It was too hard on G's heart probs though and he missed it terribly when he couldn't use it anymore.
I would have LOVED to get an edible for my mom...it is so not legal here and I would have had to trick her because she is old school anti drugs. [She doesn't drink either. All four of us girls, now, that is another story.]I haven't been able to partake (legal or not) in years due to random testing - and I like my job so I wish to keep it.
Glad the radiation wasn't too bad; you had cisplatin or carbaplatin, yes, or am I thinking of someone else's regimen?

Last edited:

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
My father in law has a very strong protrusion in his stomach area, it has no sub fat though and is very hard.

He is a lifetime alcoholic and I suspect it's ascites but I have no medical training and would really appreciate it if anyone had experience with symptoms that might confirm or strengthen this suspicion

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Take a picture of it. If it's a protrusion, it doesn't sound like ascites. It sounds more like a hernia which can be incarcerated (bad) if left alone too long. Could also be hepatomegaly if it's on the right side.

Swagdaddy

hmm protrusion may be the wrong term for it, I would say it looks like he has a beach ball under his shirt

small body frame 5'4 130 lbs no subaceous fat at all the dude is hard all over (no homo) but his stomach is just something to behold man here a good example photo:

om876a.jpg

This is exactly what his torso looks like sans the super outie but his belly button still is weird just not this deformed

Swagdaddy

My diagnosis is take him to a doctor no matter what it might be.

He regularly sees the doctor on his own, I told him next time I'm going with him because to me it really seems obvious and his doctor (a 75 year old family doctor he's known 50 years) just seems negligent because there is no explanation for this obvious fucking thing.

I'm not saying I've decided already what it is, but I was hoping Kuriin might have a way of knowing if that is the problem or not before I go with him to the doctor to make a big stink over it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You can tell (by touch) the difference between ascites and just fat. But, the picture also does look like ascites. Have him get his LFTs checked out, the AST and ALT. Also, if he has trouble breathing, the doctors may want to perform a paracentesis to remove some of the fluid. My patient yesterday had about a liter removed from his ascites.

BTW, the guy in the picture totally looks like he has a umbilical hernia.

edit: If he has no visible fat ANYWHERE but his torso is just super protuberant, then the likelihood of him having ascites is very high. He doesn't want to get to the point of having liver failure because hepatic encephalopathy is no joke.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fair enough, wasn't trying to be a dick.

I've suddenly been having epic night sweats the last 3-4 nights, but I already had a doctor's appt scheduled in a couple days. Hope it just means my thyroid meds need to be adjusted and it isn't yet another different problem.

Swagdaddy

yeah like i said the belly button thing isnt represenative but the rest is accurate

and he has COPD and massive breathing problems, thank you for your advice I'm very worried about him he needs it to be drained.