Hearthstone

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Warriors are awesome in arena. You can obviously get dicked on weapons, but you just need to draft around it. Don't take upgrade if you don't have an arcanite reaper yet, etc. You don't HAVE to have weapons to do well though, as there are plenty of other shenanigans to pull with raging worgen/amani berserker and whirlwind/inner rage/cruel taskmaster. You can steal plenty of games from people with a single worgen. Warsong commander and korkron elite are traps and you usually don't want them; weaponsmith and frothing berserker are strictly better. shield block/slam and charge are mostly awful, but most of the rest of the spells are passable to awesome (mortal/heroic strike, cleave, etc). With warrior you're basically playing for a big midgame finish, ideally before turn 8, as their late game finish can be a bit rough unless you pull a bunch of insane shit like x3 arcanite/gorehowl/grom.

I also like to stack up on acolyte of pain and cultmaster for warriors as they are both generally superior card draw to battle rage. Cult master is such a huge monster I'd likely take him over almost any other pick. The ability to dump him out on turn 4-6 and trade away 2-3 minions is just retarded. Acolyte of pain is pretty cute with cruel taskmaster too for a decent trade and a couple cards.

If you do draft decent for weapons, especially arcanite reapers, don't be a pussy with them. Kill chillwind yetis, brewmasters, tazdingos, whatever, your health isn't super important as you're pretty likely to be boned if the game goes late anyway. Only thing to really watch out for is enemy life total, as you can certainly reach a point where just stabbing them is better (reaper in play, another in hand, enemy at 15 life etc).

Lastly, you want owls. Probably all of them you can get, as your removal isn't great, and they are close to your only access to silence, which you're gonna really want when people hide behind lord of the arena at 7 health. Obviously spellbreakers to0 (it's probably the best generic creature, or at least real close to it).
While I agree with a lot of what you said, Korkron Elite is pretty much the best warrior card from my experience, as good as Arcanite Reaper and sometimes better. Warsong commander can be mediocre to insane, depending on how many Venture Co Mercenaries and Chillwind Yetis you have. I think Mortal Strike is pretty much garbage. It's just a bad fireball, literally. I've never failed to go less than 7-3 in my warrior drafts, and usually go the full 9 wins.

I completely suck at classes that aren't Warrior, Mage, or Paladin though. Priest is a crapshoot based on what I pull in my picks. I'm getting a little better at Shaman, and I'd like to try one of those aggrolocks sometime soon. Hunter drafts are the absolute worst, no other class can end up with such an unplayable pile if the right cards don't come up. Rogues might be the literal worst, though.

One time I drafted 4 Korkron elites in the same deck, and that deck was absolutely unbeatable, so I have a hard time with you saying it's a trap. Even when I don't have 4 of them, I'm pretty much always happy to draw them.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Hunter drafts are the absolute worst, no other class can end up with such an unplayable pile if the right cards don't come up. Rogues might be the literal worst, though.
I'll completely agree with this, and toss in that druid is in the same boat because it's easy to be left with literally zero removal at the end of a draft.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Druid is odd. You seem to either get More Sweepers And Amazing Shit Than God, or a completely unplayable pile of shit picks.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Druid is odd. You seem to either get More Sweepers And Amazing Shit Than God, or a completely unplayable pile of shit picks.
I was watching Trump earlier tonight and he drafted a druid deck that he was very proud of (he mentioned over and over how great the draft was). He ended up only going 7-3 because the last three games he played he couldn't draw any of the good cards he got. RNG is a fickle mistress.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
While I agree with a lot of what you said, Korkron Elite is pretty much the best warrior card from my experience, as good as Arcanite Reaper and sometimes better. Warsong commander can be mediocre to insane, depending on how many Venture Co Mercenaries and Chillwind Yetis you have. I think Mortal Strike is pretty much garbage. It's just a bad fireball, literally. I've never failed to go less than 7-3 in my warrior drafts, and usually go the full 9 wins.

I completely suck at classes that aren't Warrior, Mage, or Paladin though. Priest is a crapshoot based on what I pull in my picks. I'm getting a little better at Shaman, and I'd like to try one of those aggrolocks sometime soon. Hunter drafts are the absolute worst, no other class can end up with such an unplayable pile if the right cards don't come up. Rogues might be the literal worst, though.

One time I drafted 4 Korkron elites in the same deck, and that deck was absolutely unbeatable, so I have a hard time with you saying it's a trap. Even when I don't have 4 of them, I'm pretty much always happy to draw them.
The 3 health just ruins them for me. Too often they are just meat for 3/2 2 drops or even shitty cards like ironfur. The ability of the weaponsmith to bring its own removal for most 2 drops and some 3 drops is just too good imo. Of course if you've already got a nuts weapon draft with multiple war axes/reapers the weaponsmith becomes less valuable.

And yea, in a vacuum mortal strike is a bad fireball, but in the context of warriors it's still great. Being able to do shit like arcanite > swing > turn > swing > mortal strike is such beauty for finishing with a warrior.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Arcanite reaper isn't a very good card. Fiery war axe is the best weapon card, hands down, a warrior can get, followed by Arathi Weaponsmith.

At 5 mana you want to be playing your mid-range threats, not all your mana on removal. 2 mana means you can keep your early threats alive, which means you have complete dominance going into the Midgame, letting your early threats trade up and maintaining card advantage and tempo. I don't think I've ever lost a game where I went fiery war axe into Arathi Weaponsmith.

I've gone off Battle rage, but I'll still take it if I see it. Cleave, Slam and Execute are the warrior spells that I'm happy to see pop up. Korkron Elite is good, but only in a deck that is relying on winning with tempo rather than card advantage, because a 3 toughness 4 mana creature will trade with most 2-3 mana creatures of your opponent 1 for 1.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Or it's 10 to the face which is usually exactly what I want when I'm drafting hasty (sorry, charge-y) threats.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I've been forcing myself to play more rogue just to see what the fuss is about (LS, a euro guy with supposedly the best win ratio +80%, ranks rogues at the number 2 class for arena, just under priests). Like any other class in arena, they're highly dependent upon the draft and whether or not you get the bread and butter cards like assassinate, shadowstep, defias ringleader, etc.

Turn one, going second, coin => defias ringleader => shadowstep => defias ringleader = three minions on the field. Pretty insane, but it leaves you with a massive card disadvantage.

The other thing about rogues is that their mana curve is weird, you want lots of 0-2 mana cards and 5+ mana cards and not too many 3-4 costs. Their combo mechanic means you either play a few cards in a turn or you just get something big out on the field. Also, like the warrior, you want to win by mid game.

I've yet to go 9 wins on a rogue, but my last one I got to 7. It's definitely different than the druid/priest late game style, but really strong.

laughed so hard yesterday when a priest killed himself in Arena when he played Alextrasza while he had an Auchenai Soulpriest out
biggrin.png

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I've been forcing myself to play more rogue just to see what the fuss is about (LS, a euro guy with supposedly the best win ratio +80%, ranks rogues at the number 2 class for arena, just under priests). Like any other class in arena, they're highly dependent upon the draft and whether or not you get the bread and butter cards like assassinate, shadowstep, defias ringleader, etc.

Turn one, going second, coin => defias ringleader => shadowstep => defias ringleader = three minions on the field. Pretty insane, but it leaves you with a massive card disadvantage.

The other thing about rogues is that their mana curve is weird, you want lots of 0-2 mana cards and 5+ mana cards and not too many 3-4 costs. Their combo mechanic means you either play a few cards in a turn or you just get something big out on the field. Also, like the warrior, you want to win by mid game.

I've yet to go 9 wins on a rogue, but my last one I got to 7. It's definitely different than the druid/priest late game style, but really strong.
Rogues can get ridiculous card draw to the point where I've managed to draw myself out of cards by turn 9 if not careful. The "Miracle Rogue" build, while recently nerfed, is still very viable for play if you're looking for constructed. As far as arena goes though, I've not had much luck with rogue in arena so I wonder if LS is focusing on more class card draw or pulling a typical "Trump" and focusing on high value neutral cards?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think I've discovered the "TOO MANY WEAPONS" point for warrior Arena.

Drafted 4 Fiery War-Axes, 2 of the 4-drop 3/3 that makes a 2/2 weapon, 2 arcanite reapers, 2 gorehowls.

The 4th Fiery War Axe was always super-value, because people played like "He couldn't possibly have ANOTHER one..."

Still 9'd out, but so many weapons clogging hand.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I got a spare key to trade for a TESO or Wildstar key, or something else that I don't know is in beta. If I don't get any offers I'll just give it away in a couple of days.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
And I'm done with Hearthstone for while. My first two Arenas were 2-3 disasters. My inner rage can't take it. Signing off for now.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Rogues can get ridiculous card draw to the point where I've managed to draw myself out of cards by turn 9 if not careful. The "Miracle Rogue" build, while recently nerfed, is still very viable for play if you're looking for constructed. As far as arena goes though, I've not had much luck with rogue in arena so I wonder if LS is focusing on more class card draw or pulling a typical "Trump" and focusing on high value neutral cards?
Yeah... I don't know. I tried running a miracle rogue deck without legendaries nor preparation and I would always lose steam by the end game. Also had what I thought was a decent rogue draft (lots of low cost spells, 2x 'you gotta be kidding me' guys), but got crushed with only 2 wins. I think a lot of that was having really terrible luck with my mulligans.

I also tried my hand at shaman too, which I don't have much experience in and got wrecked. Ultimately, I wrecked my surplus of gold by trying different things in arena, which really sucks

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Warriors are awesome in arena. You can obviously get dicked on weapons, but you just need to draft around it. Don't take upgrade if you don't have an arcanite reaper yet, etc. You don't HAVE to have weapons to do well though, as there are plenty of other shenanigans to pull with raging worgen/amani berserker and whirlwind/inner rage/cruel taskmaster. You can steal plenty of games from people with a single worgen. Warsong commander and korkron elite are traps and you usually don't want them; weaponsmith and frothing berserker are strictly better. shield block/slam and charge are mostly awful, but most of the rest of the spells are passable to awesome (mortal/heroic strike, cleave, etc). With warrior you're basically playing for a big midgame finish, ideally before turn 8, as their late game finish can be a bit rough unless you pull a bunch of insane shit like x3 arcanite/gorehowl/grom.

I also like to stack up on acolyte of pain and cultmaster for warriors as they are both generally superior card draw to battle rage. Cult master is such a huge monster I'd likely take him over almost any other pick. The ability to dump him out on turn 4-6 and trade away 2-3 minions is just retarded. Acolyte of pain is pretty cute with cruel taskmaster too for a decent trade and a couple cards.

If you do draft decent for weapons, especially arcanite reapers, don't be a pussy with them. Kill chillwind yetis, brewmasters, tazdingos, whatever, your health isn't super important as you're pretty likely to be boned if the game goes late anyway. Only thing to really watch out for is enemy life total, as you can certainly reach a point where just stabbing them is better (reaper in play, another in hand, enemy at 15 life etc).

Lastly, you want owls. Probably all of them you can get, as your removal isn't great, and they are close to your only access to silence, which you're gonna really want when people hide behind lord of the arena at 7 health. Obviously spellbreakers to0 (it's probably the best generic creature, or at least real close to it).
What? warsong commander, korkron elite, and slam are all amazing cards. Warsong commander can give you removal in a pinch late game and early game if your opponent doesn't remove it they usually are going to pay for it very hard the following turn. Korkon elite, 4 damage charger, what isn't to like about that. It can be traded evenly by some 2's and more 3's, but it can also trade evenly against many 4's and 5's. Slam is just amazing, deal 2 damage and draw a card for 2?, yes plz. Allows you to take trades when your opponent may have thought they were safe and you get to draw a card.

laughed so hard yesterday when a priest killed himself in Arena when he played Alextrasza while he had an Auchenai Soulpriest out
biggrin.png
I wouldn't have thought it did either since it says sets someone's health at 15, nothing about damaging or healing. How did that work? He was below 8 health and it counted as a heal so it killed him?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Yep. And it's been acknowledged as unintended, so it'll be fixed whenever they get around to it, which I imagine the next patch won't be for at least 3 weeks.

Rogues seem pretty good to me still. In my first draft I did 9-2 and in my second I'm 6-0 atm and I just beat a paladin that played no less than three truesilvers and he oozed my weapon twice (first was nothing special but second one was deadly poisoned ass blade :| ). This time around I don't have scrubs but I have two deadly poisons, ass blade, two backstabs and three eviscerates which is pretty sick. Deadly poison is just amazing. Basically I establish early board control with deadly poison and backstab and they have never been able to come back so far.