Help with rain damage and insurance claim

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
They don't cover earth movement.
So because one is excluded all are? Tornadoes and hurricanes are acts of God as are others. Earth quakes are covered under a separate policy and so is flood underwritten by FEMA for numerous reasons.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The issue with fixing it enough and moving out are that if you don't disclose, and there is a documented problem, you could still be on the hook for the fix in the end.
A major issue is easily noticed as well so it's not going to be something you can hide and play dumb about.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Update.. Remediation crew has finished removing all rotten/moldy drywall. After they started excavating, they had to basically remove everything seen before signs of mold were gone. I'm basically now waiting for a few dry days (weather has been shit for weeks now) so the wood can dry out so they can continue the job. Next step is them sanding/treating salvageable wood surfaces. Some of the wood is so rotten it will have to go, and I'm getting this sinking ill feeling in the pit of my stomach that it won't be able to be fixed from the inside. I'm assuming that if it can only be fixed from the outside (meaning removing stucco/cladding and digging up patio) then my repair costs are going to go sky-high.. 2nd roofer arrives tomorrow to take another crack at figuring out exactly where the leaks are coming from (the gutter is no longer suspect), with the assumption now being it's the interface at the patio edge, or metal struts that elevate the patio wall for drainage.

Repair bill so far: $1200 for the drywall removal, Hepa filter/dehumidifier, room containment, and upcoming mold treatment..

rrr_img_98497.jpg

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Uhg, that reminds me of a leak issue I had on my last house. Luckily it was in a dry state so the mold issues weren't as bad as they could have been in other areas. The mistake I made was what looked like a 'small leak' just escalated quickly to the pictures you showed.

"all units would get minor leaks from the living room ceiling under the patio"

It looks like you have a neighbor that just moved in a few months ago?

I wonder if this leak issue was disclosed to them. It might not help your case but maybe they have some fighting room against the seller's of their unit. If they won a case maybe it would help you in your case.

BTW Wombat's posts have his address imbedded in the images =/

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Lots of questions incoming.

Built in 2008? When was first move in though? And when did you buy and settle? Most states there is a 5 year statute of limitations to take builder's to settlement on structural issues. Did you buy from the developer or from the first homeowner? Either way did your HOA ever lawyer up and do a Warranty Study via an Engineering Firm to document these leaks?

Edit: Just caught up in the thread. So you did at least hire an engineer to look at it now. I am going through this now with my HOA.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man did you seriously just dox wombat and then post it?

Enjoy your ban if you don't delete all that shit before a mod sees it.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I just stripped all the file attributes and re-uploaded the images.. Nice to fucking know that the IPhone embeds GPS coordinates into the image attributes. But fucking c'mon guys, there's no better way to make people flee these boards than making Dox attempts.. Play nice.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Kinda surprised the forum doesn't strip EXIF data by default. Facebook does, for example.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The NSA can always rely on Apple products for sea level and firmware information.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just stripped all the file attributes and re-uploaded the images.. Nice to fucking know that the IPhone embeds GPS coordinates into the image attributes. But fucking c'mon guys, there's no better way to make people flee these boards than making Dox attempts.. Play nice.
Well, given that he edited it out pretty quick and probably doesn't have prior beef with you, I doubt he had any malicious intent.

Me on the other hand, I got yo address now son. You aint never gonna be safe.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Lots of questions incoming.

Built in 2008? When was first move in though? And when did you buy and settle? Most states there is a 5 year statute of limitations to take builder's to settlement on structural issues. Did you buy from the developer or from the first homeowner? Either way did your HOA ever lawyer up and do a Warranty Study via an Engineering Firm to document these leaks?

Edit: Just caught up in the thread. So you did at least hire an engineer to look at it now. I am going through this now with my HOA.
Built in 2008 and purchased in 2008. I basically bought it about a month after the builder received his CA. I had already seen some of the builder's previous properties and was eyeing the construction of this one. It's worthy to note that his previous properties didn't have issues (I toured multiple and spoke with owners), and to be honest with the exception of this major patio issue the property has no significant problems.

Towards the end of the builder's two year warranty we were still experiencing leaks and had an engineer inspection done that was mostly useless beyond the fact that it stated that the patio was leaking and needed to be repaired. We furnished this report to the builder and demanded that all leaks be addressed once and for all or we'd take legal action. He sent out a more advanced Mexican crew that patched some things up, gave us a year warranty, at which point we leaked again. Patched up leaks again, gave us another year warranty, and that "held" for a period of a year, when in actuality we just had a very dry year. This last fix and warranty expiration was approximately 18 months ago. It's interesting to note that in our demand letter to the builder, we expressed concern over "hidden" leaks and possible mold damage, which he dismissed as hysteria and exaggeration..

In any case, patio/roofing company was here this morning. The major leak is coming from one of the metal struts/supports that elevate the patio wall.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, given that he edited it out pretty quick and probably doesn't have prior beef with you, I doubt he had any malicious intent.

I would suggest entry through the patio-- just wear a surgical mask when you kick through the rotted wood so you don't breathe in the lovely mold spores. LoL competition and beer is on me.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Built in 2008 and purchased in 2008. I basically bought it about a month after the builder received his CA. I had already seen some of the builder's previous properties and was eyeing the construction of this one. It's worthy to note that his previous properties didn't have issues (I toured multiple and spoke with owners), and to be honest with the exception of this major patio issue the property has no significant problems.

Towards the end of the builder's two year warranty we were still experiencing leaks and had an engineer inspection done that was mostly useless beyond the fact that it stated that the patio was leaking and needed to be repaired. We furnished this report to the builder and demanded that all leaks be addressed once and for all or we'd take legal action. He sent out a more advanced Mexican crew that patched some things up, gave us a year warranty, at which point we leaked again. Patched up leaks again, gave us another year warranty, and that "held" for a period of a year, when in actuality we just had a very dry year. This last fix and warranty expiration was approximately 18 months ago. It's interesting to note that in our demand letter to the builder, we expressed concern over "hidden" leaks and possible mold damage, which he dismissed as hysteria and exaggeration..

In any case, patio/roofing company was here this morning. The major leak is coming from one of the metal struts/supports that elevate the patio wall.
Ok am following. I noticed you said it was a 5 unit condo. So I am assuming this isn't a large community (example: a 150 unit condo) but a small garden style condo. Most likely you don't have a management company or even a robust Board of Directors. I don't know Texas Condo Law but since you did document it and they did make an attempt at least in VA there would be some grounds if you tried legal action. But again, you'd have to weigh the cost of winning versus what you recover. And with a 5 unit condo that might not be worth it. Sorry wish I could help more.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider

I just saw

I was able to triangulate your location from the reflections in your pictures.
And thought he might not be kidding and there could be some truth to it. The people/bots you need to worry about probably won't say anything =p