Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
PlanetSide 2 has some of the worst performance out there. For a one of a kind free to play Battlefield clone, it's runs like complete crap and is dead as a door nail.

I haven't played much since release but I remember being impressed by the PS2 engine. It had huge battles many times bigger than anything Battlefield has ever dreamed of doing and it ran great on my machine.

Shrug.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I haven't played much since release but I remember being impressed by the PS2 engine. It had huge battles many times bigger than anything Battlefield has ever dreamed of doing and it ran great on my machine.

Shrug.
You lucked out then. The performance (even for high end PCs) and servers break with every patch. The fights are barely bigger than anything Battlefield offers at the moment due to the game being pretty dead and mechanics that split up the population. The gameplay worse as well. The original PlanetSide was great though, even with it's clunkiness and other issues. PlanetSide 2 came far from recapturing it. Luckily, the development team for PS1 was located in an office in St. Louis and Smed had little to do with that game.

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love to hate on Smed just as much as the next guy, but I'm shocked to hear this.

I wouldn't wish a business failure on anyone. In the business I own, I had to make a bet and risk it all. If I went under, then I'd have lost my retirement and personal belongings. The business is doing well, but it still takes a wad of cash to keep going. I've had 30k in deposits come in over one week, and written checks for more than that.

A business failure is the death of someone's dream. And for some people, it may take a decade or more to recover financially. Some of them never make it back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea sorry funding a business with all other people's risk is more a joke than a dream.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ilmarz

Trakanon Raider
"Pixelmage Games has already raised $2.8M in investment. We estimate we're going to need an additional $200k to finish the game."
$94,156 USD raised by 3004 backers

If only you guys would have ponied up that last $100k.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's easier to convince people to give money to an *almost* fully funded project than a project that is looking for millions more. It may be deceptive, but it's a pretty common tactic for raising money.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Should've made it a console game.

Maybe now Rothfuss will finish his fucking book.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
smed gonna crawl back to brad?

• 2Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I really feel for these people who worked on this for a year. It's nothing personal even though i'm bitter about the direction of SoE/EQ over the years but I'm not sure what people would have ever though Smed was capable of accomplishing. Maybe some of these guys got some secondary cash or a side job to work on this but Smed really has something worthwhile attached to his name in years.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
hqdefault.jpg

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
smed gonna crawl back to brad?
Would that not be the both the ultimate ironic slap in the face, as well as the best potential for the most craptastic ever spiritual Sequel to the original EQ! Perhaps together they can both scrounge up enough plat..... if the moon and stars of Norath allignt JUST so......

Only thing funnier would be if the Star Citizen debacle imploded at the same time and some of those fundraising scammers from Spare Roberts team bailed and joined the past masters of the generation of yesteryear ..... and funded Pantheon to 10000% ..... mwahaha.

The vision of 3 MMORPGs comes together.....

Brad &Smed with Space Roberts selling spaceship virtual (tm) realestate in EQ3 North Qeynos for the Space Paladins guild oh yah!

Hmm, but with the pace of development of the Space Roberts project.... perhaps by the time the venture implore this little guy will have time enough to grow up be their head fundraiser.....

Up up and away!.......

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really feel for these people who worked on this for a year. It's nothing personal even though i'm bitter about the direction of SoE/EQ over the years but I'm not sure what people would have ever though Smed was capable of accomplishing. Maybe some of these guys got some secondary cash or a side job to work on this but Smed really has something worthwhile attached to his name in years.

I'm sure every one of those people knew full well going into it that there was a solid risk of it not panning out. Having been through a similar experience myself many years ago with a startup, that's just the harsh reality of the business. As much as everyone on the team wants it to be a success, the odds are usually pretty shitty that it will be.

Even though it might've looked promising at some points in time, I doubt any of them were truly shocked at the end result.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
LMAO.... sorry, but feeling *sorry* for Software devs??? Life sucks often. But life sucks less... much much MUCH less as an engineer or software developer no matter what craptastic project or company one works for =)

Thats why its ok to poke fun :) Anyone worth their salt just bounces right back and goes back at it after learning from their mistakes.... and if not? Oh well, suck it up buttercupp and grow up a little more.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
They took their shot and it didn't pan out. Happens all the time in business. It's not unique to the game industry. You can either let it crush you, or you can get back up, dust yourself off, and try again. The people who were working for Smed are talented people.. I'm sure they'll find work somewhere quickly.

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Should've made it a console game.

Maybe now Rothfuss will finish his fucking book.

I doubt it. The man is full of excuses and little else. May be a good thing. The last book was a huge letdown.

I'm sure every one of those people knew full well going into it that there was a solid risk of it not panning out. Having been through a similar experience myself many years ago with a startup, that's just the harsh reality of the business. As much as everyone on the team wants it to be a success, the odds are usually pretty shitty that it will be.

Even though it might've looked promising at some points in time, I doubt any of them were truly shocked at the end result.

That's not how I've found it to be from previous experience. Everyone thinks they are the special ones that will break the pattern. It's just human nature. Few people go into business with the idea of being possible failures.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This shouldn't shock anyone.

Next up: Crowfall.

• 2Like