Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hmmm, it IS only $500 for all of them... Plus $300k seems reasonable like they have sunk money into it to get it this far.

And what an excuse to buy a tablet. Damnit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The project is fully funded from the profits of their other games. This kickstarter is probably just to cover their marketing. It's actually marketing in it's own right.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This looks like digital cocaine. I backed it at $500. If anybody else has the tier where you gift the 30 card packs and wants to trade them back and forth, that sounds good.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
This looks like digital cocaine. I backed it at $500. If anybody else has the tier where you gift the 30 card packs and wants to trade them back and forth, that sounds good.
I think I read a dev quote that said you can gift them to yourself if you wanted.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmmm, it IS only $500 for all of them... Plus $300k seems reasonable like they have sunk money into it to get it this far.

And what an excuse to buy a tablet. Damnit.
The project is fully funded from the profits of their other games. This kickstarter is probably just to cover their marketing. It's actually marketing in it's own right.
From the video I saw it looked like it was practically done. Maybe just in the final beta stages before release. At least it looked complete enough to me that I'm confident they will finish.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So are the dungeons/raiding actual coop? Like 4 people with decks vs PVE cards sorta thing? Kind of hints at it but all the demosseemto just show 1v1.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have to know more about what makes it different from playing MTGO before I'd consider. If it ends up being interesting... god help my wallet.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So are the dungeons/raiding actual coop? Like 4 people with decks vs PVE cards sorta thing? Kind of hints at it but all the demosseemto just show 1v1.
Dungeons and Raids

Throughout the story-based campaign, you will be called upon to hurl yourself into a number of bold adventures in the form of dungeons, raids, and side-quests. In addition to the main storyline, your exploration of Entrath will open up opportunities to experience smaller stories, as well as gaining experience, equipment, and cards.

Kraken's Lair
Explore

When you arrive at a new dungeon, you will only be able to see as far as the entrance. Each dungeon is completely unique: you may find yourself exploring an underground cavern teeming with vennen poised for ambush, an ancient haunted forest, the tower of the sphinxes, or the twisted castle of a crazed, sentient skull. As you work your way through, you will encounter battles, traps, puzzles, and caches of treasure all leading up to the final encounter.
Go For The Gold

Whenever you complete a puzzle, navigate a trap, or defeat an encounter, you gain momentum. Your momentum directly increases the rarity of the final encounter's reward. You could choose to head directly for your final objective, and receive a healthy pile of gold, a new magical trinket, and a new card. If you fully explore the dungeon, however, you might get a mountain of gold, an artifact, and a much more powerful troop for your deck.
But Don't Fail

Whenever you fail to win a battle or are caught in a trap you gain a Death Mark. Death Marks only persist for any given attempt at a dungeon, and once you get three, you're out, and you will have to start the dungeon again from the beginning. Part of the dungeon's strategy is deciding when to keep pushing and when to merely sprint for the finish line.

HEX_ASSET_14
Decisions Matter

There are many factions in Entrath with their own goals and plans. As you encounter these factions, you will be able to choose to support them, oppose then, or even join their cause as a full-fledged member. These decisions have both a direct impact on other encounters in the same area, as well as a longer lasting impact on your path through the game and the rewards you are eligible to gain.
It's Dangerous To Go Alone

Several dungeons unlock the ability to go on a raid against the greater evil responsible for those events. In raids, you and two of your friends must work together to battle against a foe of significant power. These cooperative battles offer much danger, but also unlock some of the best equipment and cards in the game!
A Unique Experience

Your champion, deck, and decisions across your career combine to significantly alter the flow of the dungeons. If three gnoll princes are all seeking to overthrow their father, you can choose which prince you wish to support against the gnoll king!
Mercenaries are alternate champions that replace your champion in the PVE campaign. They level up similar to existing champions, but in a faster, more streamlined way.
HEX_ASSET_19.jpg
HEX_ASSET_30.jpg
Dungeons are solo and Raids are up to 3 people. There are achievements for doing them with less people. There may be dungeons that accept larger group sizes then 1.

HEX_ASSET_19.jpg

HEX_ASSET_30.jpg

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have to know more about what makes it different from playing MTGO before I'd consider. If it ends up being interesting... god help my wallet.
Equipment

What RPG would be complete without items? In HEX, the equipment you acquire during your adventures will improve your character and customize your play experience. Victory in battle, looting treasure chests, and completing quests are just a few ways to acquire equipment in HEX. Equipment has four different rarities, similar to the cards you open in packs.

infectedzombie_gear_web

What equipment does

Equipment is exclusive to the PVE campaign. Every piece of equipment in the game is associated with a card. Its effect is related to the card it is attached to, improving it in some way by reducing its cost or changing the way it functions to create different deck-building opportunities. As your appreciation for specific cards grow, you'll definitely want to chase down the associated equipment to make your favorites even better. Each card has two or three pieces of equipment. Collect them all!
How equipment works

When you gain a piece of equipment, it goes into your collection of cards that can be used in building a deck. Each champion has six equipment slots (Helmet, Armor, Gloves, Boots, Weapon, Trinket) and each piece of equipment is one of these types. In any particular deck, a champion can equip one of each type of equipment, totaling six pieces. When making a deck, you'll have to decide whether you want to double or triple down on specific cards or spread your equipment choices over many different cards to insure more cards in your deck are improved.

succulentroostasaur_gear_web

Other things you can do with equipment

In some cases, when you equip items in the right combinations for a specific deck you will complete a set bonus! Completing a set bonus will confer additional benefits to the cards involved or even provide additional cards you can then include in that deck.

We wanted to create a true sandbox experience with nearly unlimited combinations, allowing players to bring their creativity to the experience of crafting the ultimate decks.
Socketed Cards

A Gem is not a card, but rather something that you socket onto special "socketing" cards.

Gem Socketing is something that you manage while building your deck, and it will change the way your cards play out during the game. Each gem offers a unique power, so Gem Socketing adds a completely different layer of fun, discovery, and creativity to the game.

By matching gems with different cards to create various effects, you can further customize your decks in ways that have never been done in any TCG before.

Gems And Socketing

Gem Socketing allows you to customize your cards, allowing even more creative ownership over the deck-building process. There are 10 Minor Gems (two for each of the 5 shards), and 10 Major Gems (again, two for each shard), for a total of 20 gems. Some troops in set 1 have the ability to socket any Minor Gem, while others have the ability to socket any Major Gem (as well as any Minor Gem).

Gems And Socketing

Each gem will enhance the card it is socketed onto in some way, provided that you control at least one of the shard thresholds that is associated with that gem. If you don't have that threshold, you can still play your card as normal, but that power won't activate until you obtain the necessary threshold.

BoulderBruteWebThe real fun of the gems is finding the gem that's going to combine with a particular Socketable troop in a way that fits your goals. Many of the gems open up cool interactions that might not be obvious at first glance. For example, the gem that allows your troop to be played at Quick speed creates a sneaky combat trick when combined with the troop who enters play and boosts the Attack and Defense of one of your troops.

Socketing is a great use of the digital space that traditional card games cannot explore. Sockets and gems create a game play experience that is new, unique, customizable, and allows you to take more control over your game play experience than ever before. We really wanted to give players a chance to make their own card and feel a new level of ownership of their cards and decks that they create and customize. Now players get to try their hand at designing cards that they want to play.

As a note to more experienced TCG players, you'll find that in addition to adding a lot of extra depth to constructed deck building, socketing also adds a new element to draft that has never been seen in a TCG before. To illustrate this with a simple example, let's take Boulder Brute, a 5 cost 4/4. You could socket him with cost minus 1, and get a 4 cost 4/4, or +1/+1, and get a 5 casting cost 5/5. So, depending on where you're light in your curve, Boulder Brute as a draft pick can function as either of those cards even within a deck that is solely Wild. Of course, if you're playing more than one shard, he could fill any number of other roles as well!
As well as Champion/Mercs. Story/RPG element and progression. These may or may not interest you though.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Seems like it could be cool, although I'd really like to see some PvE movies. The demo movie that is visible right now just seemed like a gigantic MTG ripoff, with all the exact same concepts but using slightly different wording (speed instead of haste, exhaust instead of tap, etc). I might end up funding my 3rd kickstarter (other 2 thus far have been Solforge and Project Eternity).

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well with any luck within 48 hours you'll be funding stretch goals
smile.png

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23180
Q:Will the account bonuses like 10% xp, and raid leader +1 in starting hand be available for cash as account upgrades when game is releases? And if so is it safe to assume it will be at a more expensive rate then those who purchased theses upgrades via the pledge drive.... Or are they exclusive to the ks pledge drive?
A:No, we are adamant that the kickstarter rewards are really exclusive to those who were in this with us at the beginning. All of the PvE cards on the KS, the alternate art PvP cards on the KS, and the account blessing (Raid reward, Guild leaders) will never be made available again.
It's important I communicate that all the PvP *cards* (eg, Pack Raptor) *will* be available in boosters, just the KS ones have a different piece of art that will never be available again.
Finally, it's important to know all KS rewards, except 'account blessings' can be freely traded. So there will only be as many Void Marauders as there are people who donated at that level, but those people can trade them to other players if they wish

smile.png

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Pro Player tier sounds great, $300 value a year, plus the initial boosters value up front. Free cards for life for any set. Rare draft away for cards you like =)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll wait a bit see and what they do with the game, heavily tempted to increase my initial 20$ up to one of the bigger pack(120$ one at least, maybe 250$ one with free boosters forever) but I'll wait until it's closer to the end of the kickstarter see the videos they release and shit. I guess though you could sell the account(not legally that is) and make the money back. Anyway yesterday when I checked there were 26days to go and 30k$ left to go only, so this shit is easily a success.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Most all the game mechanics are a direct copy of MtG. I wonder if WotC will sue them and close them down. They've done that to a number of physical CCGs with far less in common (sure they did it to a couple just based on being a CCG and using the 'tapping' mechanic, under a different name, in the 90s).

Guessing kickstarter funds and advance orders would just be lost money if that happened ? Haven't done the kickstarter yet for this reason.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Most all the game mechanics are a direct copy of MtG. I wonder if WotC will sue them and close them down. They've done that to a number of physical CCGs with far less in common (sure they did it to a couple just based on being a CCG and using the 'tapping' mechanic, under a different name, in the 90s).

Guessing kickstarter funds and advance orders would just be lost money if that happened ? Haven't done the kickstarter yet for this reason.
Uhhh, have you played other CCGs? Every single CCG has gotten away with it since those early litigious days by using synonyms. L5R uses bow, bunch use exhaust, commit, etc. Can't copyright rotating cards sideways or else there would be precious few mechanics available for any CCG. And IIRC anyway that was a tap SYMBOL thing, which was a trademark issue and not just rotating cards.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Uhhh, have you played other CCGs? Every single CCG has gotten away with it since those early litigious days by using synonyms. L5R uses bow, bunch use exhaust, commit, etc. Can't copyright rotating cards sideways or else there would be precious few mechanics available for any CCG. And IIRC anyway that was a tap SYMBOL thing, which was a trademark issue and not just rotating cards.
Yes mate. I've played CCGs (including L5R and Magic) since a couple months after MtG was launched. I know some games have adopted mechanics (and had to fight WotC over them), but Hex is a total copy of everything in MtG. You can even name the MtG card that pretty much every Hex card in that vid is a direct rip off of.

One thing I do know is that WotC have always been one of the most litigious companies out there. They closed down one kickstarter project a couple months back just because the commonly used term 'Kaiju' was too similar to 'Kaijudo' :

A Kickstarter project for an indie game called Kaiju Combat: Giant Monsters has been put on hold, due to a trademark disagreement with game publisher Wizards of the Coast. Soon after raising $112,513 for its $100k goal, developer Sunstone Games received an infringement notice from Wizards of the Coast. The notice claimed the name of Sunstone's game violated Wizard's "Kaijudo" trademark, which refers to a collectible card game based on a Hasbro TV show.

Sunstone says its lawyer contacted Wizards last December to argue that "Kaiju" (a Japanese word that means "monster") had nothing at all to do with "Kaijudo," and they believed the matter had been settled. But this past week Wizards took the matter to Kickstarter directly, which took the project offline, claiming it was "the subject of an intellectual property dispute."

Sunstone's owner Simon Strange says he's working as quickly as possible to get the project reinstated. Going through court costs, he says, would be prohibitive on the company's "limited development budget." Strange adds he's "hopeful" that Sunstone won't have to change the game's name.
I'm pretty sure WotC will go after Cryptozoic. Pretty much they go after every CCG which end up either paying significant legal fees or paying royalties to WotC. The question is what Cryptozoics reponse will be.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes mate. I've played CCGs (including L5R and Magic) since a couple months after MtG was launched. I know a lot of games have adopted the various mechanics, but Hex is a total copy of everything in MtG. You can even name the MtG card that pretty much every Hex card in that vid is a direct rip off of.
So I don't get the concern then? MtG concepts and some similarity are basically required to have any success in the market. Look at GW, their lawsuits about copying rules have gotten smacked down for years by courts not recognizing simple interactions assembled in a rules sys as intellectual property.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
So I don't get the concern then? MtG concepts and some similarity are basically required to have any success in the market. Look at GW, their lawsuits about copying rules have gotten smacked down for years by courts not recognizing simple interactions assembled in a rules sys as intellectual property.
WotC patent (which includes the 'tapping' mechanic) hasn't been smacked down. The only company I'm aware of that actually 'beat' WotC in court is Konami for YuGiOh, but they changed their legal stance to say their system improved WotCs patent by being a lot simpler for kids to understand. This actually means Konami is paying licensing fees to WotC. I'm not sure why you're quoting L5R because WotC bought them out nearly 20 years ago - being faced with legal action from WotC over patents. If you remember for a while there a year or two after L5R came out we thought it was going to be closed down.

Again, the thing with Hex isn't that it's using mechanics, but that it is a total rip off of MtG in every aspect of game play.

I don't know much more than I've already said in this thread so I've got nothing more to add. I'm certainly not a legal expert. One thing that is fact though is that WotC are one of the most litigious companies out there. I'll be surprised if they don't go after Cryptozoic.

ps MtG patent expires in 2015 btw. Expect a slew of clones to come out in a couple of years time.