Hiking, Mountain Biking and Adventure Thread

mr208

N00b
Hey everyone, just moved to the PNW from the east coast. I wanted to start this thread so we all could have a place to share some the the better hiking, biking or other adventures. Here is my most recent hike atop Mt. Defiance near Seattle, WA.

-Tristan

rrr_img_93461.jpg

mr208

N00b
Aren't you afraid of bears and shit?
It is a valid point. Generally, I go on hikes on well maintained trails which tend to have less woodland creatures. Overnights and other hikes, I carry a .45. This is more because I like the idea of security, but in 10 years of hiking, I haven't had to face a situation that required it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
We're going camping/hiking near the Bear Tooth pass in Montana this summer, and I am really looking forward to it. We're not pushing too hard, I think the plan is something like a 19 mile loop over 4 days.

That's the second best kind of camping. The best is doing similar trips, but in canoes.
smile.png

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I've spent the last couple summers in Montana on Flathead Lake. I really got into back country hiking while I was up there and spent a ton of time hiking around Glacier. Had numerous black bear encounters and always carried bear mace but never needed it. I'll be back in Idaho this summer on the Salmon River and would really like to push myself and bag some more peaks so suggestions are always welcome. I did have a close encounter with some mountain goats on Aeneas Peak in the Jewel Basin up in Montana, it was pretty intense once the momma goat looked right at me and started to come my way while I was standing on the peak with nowhere to go. I found a stunted little white pine tree to stand behind and she eventually wandered off.

The thing I want to do most is a couple weeks in the Bob Marshall Wilderness; set up a decent bush camp and hike and fish all over it.

rrr_img_93470.jpg

rrr_img_93471.jpg

rrr_img_93472.jpg

rrr_img_93473.jpg

rrr_img_93474.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I think there's probably some kind of cream or ointment that would take care of the blue stuff on your face.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
We're going camping/hiking near the Bear Tooth pass in Montana this summer, and I am really looking forward to it. We're not pushing too hard, I think the plan is something like a 19 mile loop over 4 days.

That's the second best kind of camping. The best is doing similar trips, but in canoes.
smile.png
Bear Tooth is amazing. Bring a zero degree bag that's for sure.

I did a 3 day, 3 night float down the North Fork of the Flathead that started at the Canadian border and ran 47 miles on the western border of Glacier. Good times. It gets pretty hairy in a couple spots but only had one girl in a Wal Mart kayak dump it.

rrr_img_93475.jpg

rrr_img_93476.jpg

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I live outside of Seattle if anyone wants to do anything. I'm down for day stuff on the weekends or longer trips anytime. Olympic NP is awesome, I've been all over inside of there. I don't get up to the cascades much, mostly because I'm lazy with the drive.

The one thing I hate about the NW, coming from NH, is the NW has a lot state forest/wilderness, such as Goat Rock Wilderness. The problem though is that there are forestry roads everywhere, something you don't see much in the NE until you get into northern Maine with all the logging. My beef isn't with the roads themselves, but that on more than 1 hike I've encountered some bum/ex-military dude living in the fucking woods out off one of the less traveled trails. No beef with people down on their luck but because they live there they get comfortable have trash/feces all over the fucking place. I remember I did one hike up to some mountain lake in Goat Rock(hence the sour taste I have of that location now), I reach the top, lake is beautiful, decide to plop down and have a lunch with my pooch....what's that smell? Explore a bit and find what looks like a 99% squatter camp setup. Yep...time to leave. Anyway, maybe that goes in the first world problem thread. It's just a small beef with the NW national forests(not parks).

As far as animals, guns, and protection. Let's face it, anytime you go out into the wild like this you are at risk. More common than animal deaths are rockfall, people fall, etc. Nothing is 100% safe. If I am in grizzly area I will always carry bear spray, sometimes a gun depending but honestly your chances of survival depend FAR more on being alert and avoiding situations more than last minute defense, which both are. I've never had to pull either thankfully, but I've heard mixed reports on which is more effective anyway. Spray seems to be the better choice if the bear is near you but not actually attacking, and a gun if it's on your face. The more time you spend outdoors the more alert you are to your surroundings and signs of danger. Also helps if you don't hike to the point that you may pass out.

Iceberg lake is beautiful if you have a long weekend, drive to Glacier NP. Actually anything in Glacier is beautiful. (that's my friend not me)

rrr_img_93478.jpg

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I've done dozens of hikes in National Forests in the northern Rockies and never once encountered any stinky bums trashing up the place. Maybe it's just being too close to Seattle?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've done dozens of hikes in National Forests in the northern Rockies and never once encountered any stinky bums trashing up the place. Maybe it's just being too close to Seattle?
Goat Rock is about a 3.5 hour drive from Seattle....maybe I just happened to pick the one trail with bums or something. No idea. I still go out, not like I hold some major grudge, but it was a let down for the day. Also in Capital State Forest(whatever it's called the, the small one with no mountains by Olympia) they have the same forest road situation. I will use that for training sometimes because while it doesn't summit any peaks there's a decent amount of up/down so I can load my pack up with 20-25kg of water or whatever and day hike the 15k or so and still get back in time for beers and dinner. Every time I do that though it's on a weekend where I have shit going on and I always seem to bump into a mini keg party on of the hidden dead end forest roads lol. Most of the time I trek right by but a few time's I've been invited to stay for a bit. Honestly it's a brilliant idea, unless you know specifically what road they are on it would take you forever to find them.

I guess it's just that NW attitude.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Need to find a group to do a R2R or R2R2R in Grand Canyon in 1-2 days. x_x I know we gotta have some people here who've done it. =P

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've actually never been to the grand canyon at all, but I'm down! Methinks it's Rerolled Hiking Guild time!!!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Probably some of the most fun hiking I've done is in Southern Utah in the two parks Canyonlands and Arches. Totally different from something like Glacier or Yellowstone, but just amazing. I found it more stunning than the Grand Canyon, to be honest, and totally empty. Not as well known, and very few people around (which is a bonus, in my estimation). I found it hilarious that every time we did a loop, we'd hitch-hike back to the car, and every time it would be European tourists that would pick us up, never Americans. Americans fear hitch-hikers, I guess.
smile.png

This year it will be Montana hiking for us, and, as always, we'll spend a couple weeks up in the northern peninsula in Michigan. I love that part of the country. Lots of canoeing, hiking, and jumping down unreasonably big dunes.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am hoping to do Many Glacier Loop either this summer or next, depending on time. Since there are some Glacier experienced hikers here, any feedback on my gearlist would be appreciated. I am thinking late July/August:

Glacier National Park: Many Glacier Loop | Backpacking in Montana

http://lighterpack.com/r/4bd8bw

The fact you made that gear list with weights already proves you are a step ahead and at least conscientious about what you are bringing and your skill level. But here is my two cents anyway:

-You put down "quilt", do you mean sleeping bag? I looked up the item you had listed, and it's solid so I'm guessing this is just a "lighterpack.com" thing, I've never used that site.
-Tent is probably fine for the summer, it will still drop to zero(ish) though depending on where you are. So you know how hot/cold you sleep better than us.
-This is a shameless plug because I feel it's the best addition I've made to my kit since I started, but I recommend the Platypus filtration bag(Platypus 2.0L Pump-Free Water Filter System
). It is heavier than what you have by about 5oz, but in my opinion it's worth it. No pumping or anything and it can move a decent volume of water in almost no time. Honestly though, you don't need to filter up in glacier unless you are drinking from some stagnant pond you just watched a bear shit in.

Out of curiosity, I see you have a battery pack and folding saw. What are you powering? Camera or ipad or something? And this is not me making fun of it, genuinely curious. The only electronics I bring when I'm outdoors is the headlamp and some extra batteries. And the saw? You plan on making some bigger campfires? Only certain backcountry sites allow fires. I go back and forth on this one myself. Having a little fire certainly adds a ton of character to relaxing after a good hike, but I find that I am not often sawing wood and generally I just pick up whatever scrap I can find on the ground.

You are super lightweight though capping in around 10lbs. That's impressive. The site didn't say how many days, but at 55 miles I'd expect 3-5 depending on how you want to move, that sound about right? Figure 1.5lbs of food per day you should still be well under 20lbs. The same trip for me would be like 30-35lbs so that's badass. I'm not a super heavy-weight guy but I've backed off the insanely light-weight and try to find a middle ground because I've grown accustomed to having certain things on me. Mainly my tent choices are much heavier than you, adding like 6lbs right there. Plus my pack is about 8-9lbs completely empty. But I'm addicted to it and love the way it carries heavy weight which I do often as a winter camper and mountaineer. I'm also a snob and will carry extra socks/underwear/ maybe a shirt. I like to soak and wash one pair at night and swap the other, switching every day or two, but that's a development comfort
smile.png