Hiking, Mountain Biking and Adventure Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Need to find a group to do a R2R or R2R2R in Grand Canyon in 1-2 days. x_x I know we gotta have some people here who've done it. =P
Thats actually something id love to do in the not to distant future. Though it does remind me the worst aspect about living in Phoenix, no good true hiking that isnt a 2+ hour drive away.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I am hoping to do Many Glacier Loop either this summer or next, depending on time. Since there are some Glacier experienced hikers here, any feedback on my gearlist would be appreciated. I am thinking late July/August:

Glacier National Park: Many Glacier Loop | Backpacking in Montana

http://lighterpack.com/r/4bd8bw
I hiked some of the Highline Trail which is part of that loop, last summer. The pics were taken on July 20 last summer and include a pic of Granite Chalet. That high up it was in the forties and rainy all day. Still a lot of snow covering the trail up high. It got pretty dicey at one point because I had to cross a meltwater creek on a steep slope that still had snow on top of it but was flowing swiftly underneath and I didn't bring any hiking poles or crampons, won't make that mistake again. I made it about halfway across and had to turn around and crossed higher up where there was no snow but you had to scramble over some slick falls with that super cold snowmelt freezing your hands. I'm pretty sure that was the tightest my butthole has ever been.

I love Glacier so much though, you're gonna love it!

rrr_img_93504.jpg

rrr_img_93505.jpg

rrr_img_93506.jpg

rrr_img_93507.jpg

rrr_img_93508.jpg

rrr_img_93509.jpg

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Thats actually something id love to do in the not to distant future. Though it does remind me the worst aspect about living in Phoenix, no good true hiking that isnt a 2+ hour drive away.
Two people interested, wooo. My hubby doesn't want to do it cause he thinks I want to kill him. =P

mr208

N00b
What's an Overnight hike like? It's gotta be quite the experience. I've always wondered how often people do them.
Its a lot of fun but you need the right gear for it. Generally 30lbs of gear including water, food and a tent alongside other misc items. I dont do them too often, just 3-4 times a year in the summer months.

Pioneer89_sl

shitlord
I am hoping to do Many Glacier Loop either this summer or next, depending on time. Since there are some Glacier experienced hikers here, any feedback on my gearlist would be appreciated. I am thinking late July/August:

Glacier National Park: Many Glacier Loop | Backpacking in Montana

http://lighterpack.com/r/4bd8bw
Ya, that's one heck of a nice lightweight setup. I do a lot of Appalachian Trail 3 day, 2 night trips with Boy Scouts, and I weigh out at about 30-32 lbs. (including food and 32 oz of water.) I don't have any top end gear, besides a few cool things like a titanium Jet-Boil and spoons.

If you are going with a group, you can shave ounces by getting a larger tent and splitting the load. Also, some of the people I go with swear by the hammock tents (like Hennessy).

Don't short your first aid kit, or the amount of cord you carry. I like to have 100' or more of 550 para cord.

Hiking poles are OK, but I prefer a single long (6 foot) bamboo pole. The extra length gives it more utility at the expense of some of the fatigue reduction than two poles with hand straps do.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
6' bamboo pole is going to be some serious weight over a carbon trekking pole! That said, I have a really nice pair of high-end Leki carbon poles. They have been taking with me to Nepal and New Zealand and probably have a few miles use, tops. I have simply never found the need to use them outside of really wet / slick conditions. They probably won't be packed again any time soon.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I bought a really nice Warbonnet hammock XLC, but it just wasnt for me. Fiddled and got all the angles just right, but it hurt my knees (but I am 6'4"). Next purchase is a ZPacks duplex tent

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought a really nice Warbonnet hammock XLC, but it just wasnt for me. Fiddled and got all the angles just right, but it hurt my knees (but I am 6'4"). Next purchase is a ZPacks duplex tent
I have the eagle nest double and hennessy single for hammocks. The eagle nest I mostly use car camping or I carry it with me on regular trips as it comes in handy just for chilling. They make nests/underquilts/bug nets/rainflys for it but by the time you add up all that shit you have the weight of a tent that can hold 2-3 people, so unless you are doing it for "cool" factor or camping in a place where and hammock just makes life awesome, it's kind of gimmicky and situational. The Hennessy is a bit lighter and better as an all-in-one, and packs pretty awesome I must say, but again you are limited to areas with good tree/rock cover and of course, it's only for you.

I do find them comfortable though

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that backpackers get way too carried away with the ultra lightweight stuff. Maybe it's because I'm a big dude but I have no problem carrying 50 pound pack if you're only going 6 or 8 miles a day. IMO the extra comfort in camp is well worth the extra weight. If you're trying to hike 15 miles a day I could see it but I think a lot of people are going light just so they can brag about how light their pack is.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Everything is a trade off. Gram weenies just weight less weight more than comfort. Some stuff like cooking stuff I go really light, I prefer to carry a tent over a hammock.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I liked climbing Camelback
frown.png

It's busy as shit tho

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I think that backpackers get way too carried away with the ultra lightweight stuff. Maybe it's because I'm a big dude but I have no problem carrying 50 pound pack if you're only going 6 or 8 miles a day. IMO the extra comfort in camp is well worth the extra weight. If you're trying to hike 15 miles a day I could see it but I think a lot of people are going light just so they can brag about how light their pack is.
Yeah, I entirely agree with this. I like to do 15 miles a day, but no chance of that with kids right now, so even though I'm not doing more than 7 or 8 miles with them, I need the light gear because we also need to carry food and supplies for seven people. Every. Pound. Counts.

Unless we're canoe camping. Then the longest hike is a couple kilometers at a time. It's with a canoe on your head, but it is totally manageable.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree on the lightweight thing too. Plus it's seasonal dependent. Tons of the ultra-light people I know carry a bivvy or one of the "tarp tents", where it's literally a tarp that you can setup in a lean-to with hiking poles or whatever. That's awesome for them and to each their own, but I'll carry one of my tents that weighs between 4-9lbs(depending on which I take). It's worth to me because, as mentioned above, I value that comfort on my multi-day trips.

However there is a point where weight matters and it's a bit different for anyone. Physical fitness comes into play as well, but body capabilities being equal, the dude with 15lbs on his back can probably go farther and move quicker than the dude with 40. Especially uphill. It really just depends on where you are going, how long, environment, etc.

I care about pack weight, but I will never be an ultra-lighter.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I hate sleeping in hammocks. You are really limited in how you can sleep - stomach sleepers are outta luck, it's tough for side sleepers (like me), so it's on your back or discomfort. Plus, I find that my back hurts like heck after just a single night's sleep in one. Imagine doing a tough hike, sleeping in a damned hammock in a position you don't find comfortable, and then getting back on the trail.

Additionally, if where you are going is cold, hammocks suck the balls of goats. Cold from above, from the sides, and also from under you, too? One of the good things of sleeping on the ground/camping pad is that it starts to retain some of your heat below you fairly quickly, and then you are benefiting from warmth that is entirely absent in a hammock.

Maybe some people love them. They aren't for me.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Aside from what you mentioned above, I also have an issue with ending up getting motion sickness from sleeping in a hammock. I don't think I have hardcore motion sickness issues either, generally with moving things (boats, roller coasters, hammocks, car rides, etc.) I am fine as long as I can see how I'm moving, but the second I fall asleep in something like a hammock for example, I wake up nauseous. Sleeping in the car is generally okay for me, on a boat, not so much.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Hammocks are really expensive to try, because you will always wonder if it will work for you until you have everything. Yes, you can try it with a cheap hammock, and use a cheap foam pad for bottom insulation, but it really isnt the same as a nice hammock, with top and under quilts. All said, you can easily be into it for >$600, and still hate it like I did.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Went to Yosemite two weeks ago and immediately had a desire to hike Half Dome. Anyone here do it? What to expect? How much water did you bring, etc? Looking to either do it this summer (if I can get a permit...) or next summer after cables open.