Hogwarts Legacy

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
At first I thought the combat system was just okay, but once I really started chaining spells and attacks together I've been in love with it. I just keep roaming around finding bandit camps to destroy. I love when you're knocking people back with spells just to Accio them and blast em with fire. So much fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PS5 performance on anything other than Performance is pretty trash, imo. I tried both fidelity options and those were unplayable roaming the open world, while Balanced was a bit better. I didn't have fps capped, but I don't see that making a difference. Performance mode looks a bit flat, and I don't think it's a true 4k, but overall it's good. Playing on a LG C2.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At first I thought the combat system was just okay, but once I really started chaining spells and attacks together I've been in love with it. I just keep roaming around finding bandit camps to destroy. I love when you're knocking people back with spells just to Accio them and blast em with fire. So much fun.
Pff, invis and one shotting mobs is more fun, fuck those goblins.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
PS5 performance on anything other than Performance is pretty trash, imo. I tried both fidelity options and those were unplayable roaming the open world, while Balanced was a bit better. I didn't have fps capped, but I don't see that making a difference. Performance mode looks a bit flat, and I don't think it's a true 4k, but overall it's good. Playing on a LG C2.

May want to try balanced as capped. Reading everywhere it makes a world of difference.I’m going to try it today when I bypass my receiver to gain HDMI 2.1 capabilities.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm on a PS5 playing on fidelity with everything on and gameplay is fine...

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
May want to try balanced as capped. Reading everywhere it makes a world of difference.I’m going to try it today when I bypass my receiver to gain HDMI 2.1 capabilities.

That's the option I have on. It runs good so far, not noticed anything off with the performance other than the very intro where you get to the forest and the cinematic played. As the train went by, it felt slow in terms of FPS, and saw the same section on PC on Twitch and it was very smooth. I was worried then at the start, but since then it's been good.

As to the game, I am really enjoying it, even as someone who is unfamiliar with the lore other than having watched the movies as they came out. Good voice acting and combat is fun as I go. Only thing I am worried about it is that the leveling seems fast? Once I got to the point where I unlocked talents (I still haven't unlocked flying) I was level 20 and got 16 points to spend. Hopefully it's not a case of having 50+% of the content left after you max level/character progression. I've done every side quest so far.

In terms of tips, stealth is apparently OP as two points into the stealth ability (enemy detect) will let you clear out camps in stealth. It even works on named mobs. And should use a few points getting some spell mirrors or whatever they are called. Lets you easily swap out spell combos instead of pausing and switching out one at a time. IE: utility spells in one and combos on the other.

Hard mode is also the only mode that actually adds tactics to the shields I think, since it requires the actual spell type to break them, while on normal and below, shields can be broken even with other combinations. I played on hard, and on the last duel I died lots, grinded out/bought some health pots, spent all 14 in the fight and switched to normal. Might go back again though, because since the swap I haven't been close to dying.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the recommended levels on quests are definitely purposeful.

Tried a level 30 one at 25, and holy shit, burned through a dozen potions. Fight was hard as fuck.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
One thing I noticed that is pretty cool is enemies actually trying to flank you.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’m also doing performance mode on PS5 with VRR on Sony X90J. If this is 1080p, it’s the best 1080p I’ve ever seen.

Looks like my LG C1 doesn't have VRR on.

I don't even know what VRR is or does, but I'll go ahead and fix this.

I have PS5 running in Game Optimizer mode and VRR defaults to "off" in the control panel for it.

Would VRR matter for the Switch? That system just looks archaic and bad on this TV compared to the PS5.

Either way I'll turn on VRR in Game Optimizer and see if it makes a difference for both systems.

Edit: Weird, Game Optimizer doesn't let me turn VRR on, even though it's right there in the settings as Off. There's no actual button to turn it on. Game Optimizer has a bunch of premade configuration sets and VRR seems to be off in all of them.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is that a spoiler? I don't think so. I don't remember if I read it but someone said they didn't want to carry items for Transmog but everything you pick up is added to transmog permanently, so you can immediately sell it and then change what you just found back to your original look for free; Its the best transmog system I have ever seen or at least IIRC. If anything, No respec sucks, things unlock WAAAAY too slow. They should either have on rails the story missions with the unlocks so its all done in the first 5 or so hours or not gated everything so heavily. I may be level 20 before I get a broom.

This game has Transmog?

1675956715615.png

IS NOTHING SACRED?

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

I have PS5 running in Game Optimizer mode and VRR defaults to "off" in the control panel for it.

Would VRR matter for the Switch? That system just looks archaic and bad on this TV compared to the PS5.

Either way I'll turn on VRR in Game Optimizer and see if it makes a difference for both systems.

VRR is Variable Refresh Rate. It’s the “generic” name for Freesync/GSync.

spronk

FPS noob
Sony is supporting Trans genocide by releasing a pretty fly controller tomorrow

• 4Mother of God
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Is there any gear that is only acquired in a specific place, or is it pretty much all randomized and level-scaled?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Edit: Weird, Game Optimizer doesn't let me turn VRR on, even though it's right there in the settings as Off. There's no actual button to turn it on. Game Optimizer has a bunch of premade configuration sets and VRR seems to be off in all of them.

If you are routing through a receiver that doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 support you will not be able to turn on VRR. Are you switching at the receiver level? VRR requires hdmi 2.1. If routing directly to the TV from the PS5 make sure you are using a 48gb hdmi cable.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there any gear that is only acquired in a specific place, or is it pretty much all randomized and level-scaled?
I'm going to guess and say that it's specific to the area. And I only say that because every single item I get anymore is trash. The only time I get an upgrade is the unidentified stuff, which is what seems like is randomized and level scaled.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That's the option I have on. It runs good so far, not noticed anything off with the performance other than the very intro where you get to the forest and the cinematic played. As the train went by, it felt slow in terms of FPS, and saw the same section on PC on Twitch and it was very smooth. I was worried then at the start, but since then it's been good.

Do you notice graphical upgrades?

Wish I could find a good resolution chart - hopefully digital foundry comes out soon. I am hearing performance is 1080p, some sites say it is 1440p - some say balanced is 1440p - others say 1800p with dynamic 4k.

Asking this before I have to unplug some shit and redirect the PS5 directly to my OLED C1. Which I guess I may do anyway since PS% is shit with surround audio through a receiver with tempest. Will all depend on the sound quality coming from my C1.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Whoever posted about using the invisibility spell to open the eye chests I thank you but I also hate you because I just keep kicking myself because I did not figure that out on my own. So much so I had to make a post just for personal accountability.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>

I’m afraid I’m pretty useless when it comes to this stuff I know VRR is better and it has to do with smoothing out fluctuations in frame rate also know your TV and your HDMI cable has to support it and that both next generation consoles have it assuming the above criteria is met. Unless I’m mistaken it’s basically the console equivalent to Gync or free sync on pc but someone much more technical to make him probably fill in the blanks or just flat out tell us I’m wrong.