Home buying thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Jebus on a stick, really? I have acreage and I don't pay that. This is why it's so hard for me to move back to Canada, even though I'd like to.
Property taxes in Edmonton are based on market assessment, as I'd imagine they are most other places. My place is assessed at around 650k, I think, which is in the ballpark of it's actual market value (they always under-assess by 10-15% to reduce appeals). My place's assessed value has gone up by like 50% in the two years since they announced the new arena development 2 blocks away. But yeah, I think Edmonton has fairly reasonable property/education taxes compared to most other major cities in the country.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Property taxes in Edmonton are based on market assessment, as I'd imagine they are most other places. My place is assessed at around 650k, I think, which is in the ballpark of it's actual market value (they always under-assess by 10-15% to reduce appeals). My place's assessed value has gone up by like 50% in the two years since they announced the new arena development 2 blocks away. But yeah, I think Edmonton has fairly reasonable property/education taxes compared to most other major cities in the country.
Eh. My place is assessed at around 810K, and I pay just around 3,500$ in taxes. 40ish acres. 5 registered buildings. Things are pretty good in Indiana, I guess.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Jebus on a stick, really? I have acreage and I don't pay that. This is why it's so hard for me to move back to Canada, even though I'd like to.
Lol I just paid my property taxes $24k and I have around a 9000 sq ft lot.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
A friend of mine's family was from up around Dallas. They farmed till they very last straw broke the camels back. They literally sold their acreage that was their farm by the square foot instead of per acre. Blew my mind. They just moved out far enough to avoid being swallowed up again.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You live in a rich town though. If you'd listen to Vinen I am in the 2nd shittiest town in mass (hint:I'm not)
Vinen seems kinda uppity. $90k is doing fine man, it's not models and bottles money but you're going to be fine. Save/invest a good percentage and you'll be financially independent before you know it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lol who thinks $4500 is high for property taxes? Do the places you guys live not actually have a school district?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lol who thinks $4500 is high for property taxes? Do the places you guys live not actually have a school district?
Just depends. $4500 seems high if you are in the midwest where a 2000sq foot home is under $200k. Seems like a steal on the West Coast where a 2000sq ft home is $2mil +.

Comparing straight dollar amounts is completely pointless. % of property value is the valid comparison really.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just depends. $4500 seems high if you are in the midwest where a 2000sq foot home is under $200k. Seems like a steal on the West Coast where a 2000sq ft home is $2mil +.

Comparing straight dollar amounts is completely pointless. % of property value is the valid comparison really.
Well, my house appraised at $248k at my last refinance. My property taxes are $7k/yr at the moment. Houses a few towns over in a shitty area with high crime rate would have similar taxes on a $180k house. Even if you compare it based on % of property value the midwest is way, way cheaper than either of the coasts, and especially the northeast NY/CT/MA tri-state area and the bay area.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No wonder people complain about gentrification. House I'm in contact with is about 900 a year.

waiting on a appraisal and va inspection now. Spoke with lender last week and so far have conditional underwriting approval. So long as nothing retarded comes up with either of those should be good.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yes I pay state income tax. I also pay property tax on my car.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think where I live is about the cheapest in the country. I also managed to get in with a special state thing where I promise not to develop the land for a certain amount of time (5 years at a time, I think), so I pay 1$ per acre taxes, except for the acres that have buildings on them. So I'm paying about 1,850$ property taxes on 40 acres.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just saw an article where wv has the 18th highest overall state tax burden but those property taxes are murder. 200k house in the premier (save it) school district is like 1200 a year. I guess that's why our schools suck and we're all retarded.