Home buying thread

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah thats pretty dirt cheap. Granted I'm looking to move into an extremely, extremely highly ranked district but property taxes will be like 10k/yr. The location is killer since the city is also where I work but since I don't have kids and don't really plan on ever having them I'm wondering if it is a long term viable plan. Maybe I'll start looking a bit more north but unfortunately the upper west side of Columbus is all pretty wealthy with good schools. Even the "sketchy" part the schools are ranked like 6-8 on Zillow's little index deal.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Eh. My place is assessed at around 810K, and I pay just around 3,500$ in taxes. 40ish acres. 5 registered buildings. Things are pretty good in Indiana, I guess.
Uh, guess it depends on the county. I'm in Indianapolis, I get capped at 1% per year

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So amidst all the talk of refi that I had, my bank out of the blue contacts me today and asks if I want to refi as rates are really low, yadda yadda.

Are there benefits with sticking with your current lender over using an outside company?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Your bank might be able to see if you had a hit on your credit for refi purposes. Refi through them may be easier and require less Paperwork...I'd see what they can do.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Ok, my wife and I are slightly in the market again to buy a new home. I say slightly, because we don't have a pressing issue to move from our existing home. Just thinking about the future. I have a few questions though...
For the the right lot in an un-populated natural setting, I would definitely consider buying the land and maybe putting up a micro home or some sort of pre-fab cabin. Where you work would probably determine whether or not that's feasible for your primary residence.

If you don't mind fix'r'uppers, I think you'd mainly be considered about foundation problems and environmental issues (like a failing cesspool, toxic mold, or a leaking heating oil tank), stuff that can't be easily mitigated. Other than that a roof and HVAC system younger than 10 years just buys you time.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just gotta get it pumped every 2-5 years depending on how much shit your house produces. And I guess feed it some bacteria every once in a while, but I have no idea how beneficial that actually is.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
No. Just make sure it is inspected and pumped out if necessary. Make sure it is sized correctly and the fields were done properly. I'd much prefer city connections and would ding the offer as a result unless you're buying out in BFE where that would be normal.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
For the the right lot in an un-populated natural setting, I would definitely consider buying the land and maybe putting up a micro home or some sort of pre-fab cabin. Where you work would probably determine whether or not that's feasible for your primary residence.

If you don't mind fix'r'uppers, I think you'd mainly be considered about foundation problems and environmental issues (like a failing cesspool, toxic mold, or a leaking heating oil tank), stuff that can't be easily mitigated. Other than that a roof and HVAC system younger than 10 years just buys you time.
A dream and a double wide.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Just gotta get it pumped every 2-5 years depending on how much shit your house produces. And I guess feed it some bacteria every once in a while, but I have no idea how beneficial that actually is.
Having to worry about this damn getting pumped every couple years...sheesh. I just always see the horror stories about spetics and cringe.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
They aren't bad so long as they were installed properly and maintained. I much prefer city hookups but if the house is perfect a septic wouldn't keep me away. It just needs to be inspected by a good company and they can tell you if you'll have issues with it or not. Most problems are from people ignoring the system for years, poor installation, poor toilet habits or undersized unit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They aren't bad so long as they were installed properly and maintained. I much prefer city hookups but if the house is perfect a septic wouldn't keep me away. It just needs to be inspected by a good company and they can tell you if you'll have issues with it or not. Most problems are from people ignoring the system for years, poor installation, poor toilet habits or undersized unit.
What poor toilet habits will damage a septic tank?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Would a house have a septic system stop you from purchasing the perfect house?
The biggest downside, at least IMO, is you can't have a garbage disposal with a septic. I'd find that to be a pretty big pain in the ass.