Home buying thread

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There are people who I consider close friends who I wouldn't let live with me for more than a week or two.... I like my space and I know some people's lifestyles don't jive with mine.

I hope that works out but more often than not I've seen friendships ruined over situations like this.
I was ready to kill my best friend after living with him for 14 months. Best thing we did for our friendship was me moving out on my own.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was ready to kill my best friend after living with him for 14 months. Best thing we did for our friendship was me moving out on my own.
I lost my best friend after living with him for just 1 year. To be fair my fiance was also living with us. It was in short the worst decision I ever made. The guy was a real shitbag, but he was cool with me. I felt like I was some mediator between him and my fiance all the time. FUck that

I started the process of refinancing, gave them the 700 documents they requested. Hope this goes well. All relies on having our house appraised I guess.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It is tougher to appraise for more than you bought it for within 2 years* so if you're right at that threshold you may want to reschedule.

*may be completely wrong

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It is tougher to appraise for more than you bought it for within 2 years* so if you're right at that threshold you may want to reschedule.

*may be completely wrong
Yeah i have no idea

They're the ones that came to us in the first place, I didn't seek them out. Just doing it because she used cool buzz words in regards to lowering our payments

Our rate was pretty high when we first bought, I think the rates are way lower now.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well if you're near 2 years and near to being out of pmi it could behoof yourself to investigate. If you don't have 20% off the principal yet having the appraisal come in higher could be big which wont happen if you can't show any improvements and been there less than 2. Lowering rate good regardless, but losing pmi could be bigger.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Removing PMI should be anyone's #1 priority(if they have it), as it is 100% wasted money that does zilch for the homeowner. It's the equivalent of just burning that money each month.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
PMI is tax deductible, not 100% wasted. You should probably still work on removing it if you don't have any other high interest loans, though.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
PMI is tax deductible, not 100% wasted. You should probably still work on removing it if you don't have any other high interest loans, though.
Donating money to charity is tax deductible too but it's still a complete poof out the window, and it's to a bank rather than a charity. Get PMI removed pronto bros.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Defending PMI because you can deduct it on your taxes? This guy serious?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wrote PMI off on my taxes and I still feel like it was 100% wasted.

I am getting back $9k in my tax refund though.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
PMI is only deductible if you make less than $100k
frown.png

Khane

Picture two raging forest fires, one to the north and one to the south of you. If you go south into the forest fire you have to throw $100 into it then run away before you die. If you go north you only have to throw $85 before you have to run away.

There is a third option here of course. Just walk in a straight fucking line and avoid both goddamn fires. How many people gonna choose to go north just because it saves them $15 bucks vs going south?

Khane

Combined income for most people, so not really a humblebrag:

You can deduct mortgage insurance as an itemized deduction if certain requirements are met. If your adjusted gross income (AGI) reaches or exceeds $109,000 ($54,500 if married filing separately) the deduction is eliminated.