Home buying thread

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Different strokes. There are historic districts here and from what I've heard they aren't too imposing I'm sure it varies hugely depending on the area and personnel. If you owned one of the historic houses you'd definitely want protections in place because it'd be so easy for 1 awry property to fuck the whole neighborhood in feel, resale, and then property taxes.. which isn't good for anyone. Then maybe the whole neighborhood gets bought up and rebuilt per demand, which is good, but not necessary better, and it's a lot harder to justify it the smaller the preservation area is imo. I'm thinking on a city competitiveness scale that these neighborhoods can be amenities, like a park, good for trick or treat, dog walking, bike routes, history buffs, fags, tourism brochures..at no cost to the city.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Different strokes. There are historic districts here and from what I've heard they aren't too imposing I'm sure it varies hugely depending on the area and personnel. If you owned one of the historic houses you'd definitely want protections in place because it'd be so easy for 1 awry property to fuck the whole neighborhood in feel, resale, and then property taxes.. which isn't good for anyone. Then maybe the whole neighborhood gets bought up and rebuilt per demand, which is good, but not necessary better, and it's a lot harder to justify it the smaller the preservation area is imo. I'm thinking on a city competitiveness scale that these neighborhoods can be amenities, like a park, good for trick or treat, dog walking, bike routes, history buffs, fags, tourism brochures..at no cost to the city.
Small districts or individual streets etc are great, the fags here are campaigning to add protections to an entire neighborhood full of 1400 sq ft craftsman bungalows.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Maybe worried about some new construction coming in, having leaky patios, and having to listen to and look at that shit for a year? My main parting point that I will use to get the last word is that they can serve a good purpose and of course there is a happy medium.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe worried about some new construction coming in, having leaky patios, and having to listen to and look at that shit for a year? My main parting point that I will use to get the last word is that they can serve a good purpose and of course there is a happy medium.
rrr_img_135112.png

koljec_sl

shitlord
Historic zoning makes sense in some places, but in others it's been used as a half-assed measure to keep urban blight under control (ignorant of property values, rentals, and per capita incomes), even though the homes don't really have historical significance. Wilmington, Delaware, for example, has hundreds of homes built before 1900.

The best is when you buy a house only to find out the historical zoning was not disclosed and you had no reason to suspect it would be so zoned. Picture receiving a letter from the city three weeks after your purchase that reads: "Welcome to the neighborhood. By the way, the city controls everything related to the exterior and landscaping of your house, including windows. Don't even think of using anything other than wood on all 24 windows in your $200K house!"

Then you find out that a retirement project is getting permission to tear apart the abandoned Winchester mansion down the street...

Cad_sl said:
Small districts or individual streets etc are great, the fags here are campaigning to add protections to an entire neighborhood full of 1400 sq ft craftsman bungalows.
/agree

Khane_sl said:
Okay but is the salvaged stuff better/cheaper than the fresh even if it's rare?
Generally, yes. And it's not just the wood, but the construction is a bit of a lost art. Lots of really sturdy joints aren't done anymore.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Thoughts on doing For Sale By Owner when selling a house? My father is retiring and needs to sell one of his homes, and I'm trying to convince him to do it FSBO. In this day and age of Zillow and various websites, if you take good pictures and give good details, hundreds of people per day will see it that way.

The home he is going to sell is in a neighborhood that is ON FIRE this year. 3 homes on his street alone have been listed in the past 60 days and had contracts within 48 hours. I personally think it will basically sell itself, so why give a realtor 6%

anyone here that has gone through the FSBO experience that might have some things to do that helped, or pitfalls to watch out for?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The only thing I know about it, at least around here, is whenever I see the sign "For Sale By Owner" in about 3 months I know I can expect to see an actual realtor sign.

I'm guessing it's harder to get the word out on the property. Not as much visibility on the various MLS sites and such. Maybe realtors even hide those properties from their clients on purpose. Who knows.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Selling real estate is basically a scam so I wouldn't be shocked if realtors protect their jobs by making sure to never discuss by-owner homes. But now with so many people using Zillow you'd think the exposure for a by-owner would be decent at least.

Vinen

God is dead
Thoughts on doing For Sale By Owner when selling a house? My father is retiring and needs to sell one of his homes, and I'm trying to convince him to do it FSBO. In this day and age of Zillow and various websites, if you take good pictures and give good details, hundreds of people per day will see it that way.

The home he is going to sell is in a neighborhood that is ON FIRE this year. 3 homes on his street alone have been listed in the past 60 days and had contracts within 48 hours. I personally think it will basically sell itself, so why give a realtor 6%

anyone here that has gone through the FSBO experience that might have some things to do that helped, or pitfalls to watch out for?
Get a realtor. My wife attempt to sell a house with FSBO and it was not worth the effort. The additional stress was not worth the few K she would have saved.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yea I'd say just get a realtor. Although it's a scam because the only reason you need realtors is because of other realtors. If you could hit a critical mass of ordinarily-listed homes, you wouldn't need realtors because they couldn't ignore the private listings. But that isn't happening anytime soon.

Tenks

One house on my street did sell by-owner style. They got a decent price for it as well.

Vinen

God is dead
Selling real estate is basically a scam so I wouldn't be shocked if realtors protect their jobs by making sure to never discuss by-owner homes. But now with so many people using Zillow you'd think the exposure for a by-owner would be decent at least.
Zillow looks like a clown fiesta. Holy shit are the "Zestimates" a crock of shit.
Redfin is at least decent UX.

Tenks

Zillow looks like a clown fiesta. Holy shit are the "Zestimates" a crock of shit.
Tons of people recommend Redfin but I don't see what it offers over Realtor.com. The UX is almost identical on the two as well.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, never look at the Zestimate value. The only info Zillow has to project your home value is what it last sold for. If that was more than a couple years ago, it's going to be wildly inaccurate. It has no idea what you've done to your home since you bought it(upgrades, addons, remodels, etc)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I sold my first condo myself, through ComFree. I think the listing was like $600 or something. I didn't find the sale too difficult, but then again, the sale happened right as the real estate market was going stupid so that probably helped move things along. Most of my exposure was just having an open house every Saturday. The condo was downtown, so I'd go post a few signs on a couple major roads to get people's attention. I wouldn't see huge numbers, maybe 3-5 people/couples per day, but it only took me about 2 months to sell the place if memory serves. Saved me about 10k in commission, although obviously there's no accounting for the difference for what a realtor could have gotten for my place over and above what I did, but I doubt it would have even partially offset the commission.

That being said, I think that there's definitely certain markets, housing types, and price ranges where FSBO is going to hurt you as compared to hiring a realtor. The more expensive and rarer the listing, the more likely a realtor will help you. If you're just selling a typical house in a suburb or exurb that looks like every other one on the block, then FSBO might be worth giving a try.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Zillow is hilariously wrong. When I sold my house last year, their price estimate included a sale that never happened (in the middle of my ownership) for 25% of the value of the property. After fixing that, their estimate would fluctuate by 20% up or down from month to month, with an average about $100,000 too high. I hadn't made any structural upgrades, and the market in my neighborhood was declining. No part of it was right.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Parents sold their last two houses FSBO. There was a company that listed all the stuff in that town and that's all they did. It got a lot of traffic. The first house they sold it was up a week and got a few offers, their financing fell thru and they called the next person on the list and they wrote out a check for it the next day. The second one was listed about 2 weeks and it sold.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Zillow is hilariously wrong. When I sold my house last year, their price estimate included a sale that never happened (in the middle of my ownership) for 25% of the value of the property. After fixing that, their estimate would fluctuate by 20% up or down from month to month, with an average about $100,000 too high. I hadn't made any structural upgrades, and the market in my neighborhood was declining. No part of it was right.
Speaking of hilarity, zillow says my houses value has increased 10k within a week.