Home buying thread

Vinen

God is dead
They're testing the radon levels in my house and I'm kind of surprised they put it on my first floor instead of down in the crawl space. This whole radon thing feels like a scam, though.
Yeah. That sounds pretty sketchy. I guess unlike basements people don't go down into crawl-spaces that often.
I know around where I live they do the radon test in the basement (when they are even done...)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah. That sounds pretty sketchy. I guess unlike basements people don't go down into crawl-spaces that often.
I know around where I live they do the radon test in the basement (when they are even done...)
Yeah I expected it in my crawl but maybe they only do it on the lowest "inhabitable" floor of the house. Dunno. I'd expect the radon levels to be lower on the 1st floor versus the crawl so I'm not complaining.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
"The term "silent second" is used most frequently to describe self-serving or perhaps fraudulent schemes where house sellers accept second mortgages as part of a sale transaction, without the full knowledge of the first mortgage lender. The "silence" refers to the absence of full disclosure to the first mortgage lender."
I bought my first house with an 80/17, and the same bank handled both loans. Not sure how common that was though.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Since some faggot made the home improvement thread already.

Anyway, if you can't afford 20% down, that's fine.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Since some faggot made the home improvement thread already.

Anyway, if you can't afford 20% down, that's fine.

Wait I thought if you can't afford 20% down you crash the economy and are literally capitalism AIDS

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Haven't see Khane over here yet. If we talk about irresponsible home ownership enough, will hear appear like some sort of financial candyman?

Stave

Potato del Grande
So me and the wife are looking at buying our first home. We are looking at buying something rural just outside town with a USDA loan. 3% interest, .5% USDA fee, no PMI, 0 down, 30 year fixed, super low property taxes, rural water and natural gas. 4 bed 3 baths 10 years old or newer run about $1700 a month mortgage here including tax and insurance. Otherwise rent is about 1.2k a month for a 3 bedroom. We have 0 other debt and plan on staying there probably 30 years or more. I know some people here are anti mortgage. Why should or shouldn't we buy one?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You're lucky Khane is not here but I accept your mortgage application. Do whichever you want.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Guys I did the mortgage with a second trust when I bought my house. Sorry for the upcoming housing market crash I've caused.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Probably going to be looking to move soon. Bought my first house in 09, still here now. Got some maintenance to handle, but we've got to move closer to work for my wife. She spends well over 2 hours a day in the car. Plus I'm tired of owning a swimming pool. It was fine when I was younger and it got used, but now that I'm busier and married it's just a waste of money and effort.

Need a coat of paint and some minor repairs, then we'll start looking at putting the house on the market.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
My Wife and I bought a house in 07, almost paid it off.
We are looking at buying another and renting this one.
In Australia there are tax breaks for second homes so it might work out ok.
We also need something to fall back on when we are old and not working and it'd be a cool house for the kids to live in and party when they grow up... Hot tub on the deck hidden from view :)

Does anyone have a second home? Are there any down sides to it?

In a perfect world I'd buy a Hill and bang a house on it, needs to have a river at the base (rapids would be nice), cliffs for rock climbing and we'd build MTB trails and a race track all the way around.... Not going to happen :(